DRUG FREE MCKINNEY
Join us for MADD's Power of Parents at our December meeting!
Click link below to RSVP!
What's the Problem with Substance Use in America?
High rates of youth alcohol use, shifting state laws regarding marijuana, and the nation’s opioid crisis are prevalent health concerns that affect America’s parents and caregivers. Preventing underage alcohol and substance use is critical for the following reasons:
- Approximately 88,000 Americans die from alcohol-attributed causes each year, making alcohol the third leading preventable cause of death in the United States.
- An estimated 2.1 million people ages 12 or older had an opioid use disorder, and nearly 30 percent of those who use marijuana may have some degree of marijuana use disorder.
Media- The Importance of Connection
The available platforms for connection and information dissemination have never been richer or more exciting. As we join together to reduce substance abuse, we can access television, radio, print media, and social media. Youth are engaged with videos, downloadable and personalized apps, and interactive webinars. One cutting edge campaign that utilizes these platforms is SAMHSA's "Talk. They Hear You." Underage Drinking Prevention National Media Campaign that empowers parents and caregivers to talk with children early about alcohol and other drug use. Like our upcoming MADD presentation, the role of parents in substance abuse prevention is critical. Check out some examples of SAMHSA's media platforms below and find more at https://www.samhsa.gov/talk-they-hear-you
Media Campaign Goals
The “Talk. They Hear You.” campaign aims to accomplish the following:
- Increase parents’ awareness of the prevalence and risk of underage drinking and substance use;
- Equip parents with the knowledge, skills, and confidence to prevent underage drinking and substance use; and
- Increase parents’ actions to prevent underage drinking and substance use.
Mobile App- "Talk. They Hear You."
New "Talk. They Hear You." Campaign Mobile Application