Summery and description
What is Noonan Syndrome?
Characteristics of this disorder
- Short stature
- Heart defects
- Distintive facial features (deep philtrum, widely spaced eyes that are light in color, high-arched palate, small mandible, poor alignment of teeth)
- Webbed skin on the neck
- Bleeding problem (trouble clotting)
- Hearing impairment
- Possible infertility in males
- Malformation of rib bones
- Developmental delays
- Intellectual disabilities (often mild and with 10-40% needing some degree of special education services)
These characteristics vary in severity from mild to severe depending on the individual and not everyone presents with all characteristics.
Noonan Syndrome. (2011, March 23). Retrieved April 19, 2015, from http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/condition/noonan-syndrome
Symptoms of Noonan syndrome can be so mild that they go undetected until adolescence. In this case, blood and genetic testing are needed to confirm the disorder.
Noonan Syndrome. (2013, March 10). Retrieved April 10, 2015, from http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Noonan-syndrome/Pages/introduction.aspx
Noonan Syndrome at a Glance. (2015, January 1). Retrieved April 10, 2015, from http://www.gemssforschools.org/sites/default/files/pdfs_for_printing/printable_noonan-1.26.15.pdf