Kingsley ES Principal Newsletter
September 18, 2022
"Building the Leader Within Me"
Special KES Shout Out!
It's time to give thanks to the following KES Comets:
- Special thanks to all of our Lunch Bunch parents. You all have been simply amazing!! Thank you for assisting our students, teachers, and school. ❤️💙
- Thank you, Mrs. C. Smith and Dr. Hamilton for leading our Walking Wednesday. It was a great first Walking Wednesday of the new school year. I would like to thank the Dunwoody Cheerleaders, Ms. Briggs, KES students, teachers, and parents for participating.
- Thank you, Ms. Rocky for our weekly OSOB Trivia Challenge! You rock!!
- Another shout-out to Mrs. Jones for our yummy treats to kickoff the staff's Sunshine Club.
Here's our Week-at-a-Glance:
9/15 - 10/15 - Hispanic Heritage Month
9/20 - The Mad Italian Spirit Night
9/21 - Donuts with Grown-Ups 7:15 AM
9/22 - First Day of Fall
9/22 - Dunwoody High School Homecoming Parade 4:00 PM
9/23 - Individual Picture Day
*9/26 - Spanish Impact Huddle Meeting 6:00 PM
*9/28 - Annual Title 1 Meeting (virtual) 9:00 AM & 5:00 PM
Donuts with Grown-Ups
Wed, Sep 21, 2022, 07:15 AM
Kingsley Elementary School, Brendon Drive, Dunwoody, GA, USA
You are invited for a sweet treat with your kiddos to start your day. Park and join us in the media center for a donut date before students head to class. Feel free to stay and catch up with KES administration and members of the PTO Board. This is the perfect opportunity to ask any questions you might have as well as learn about ways you can get involved in your child's classroom.
FY23 Title I Parent and Family Engagement Survey
Your input is vital in the planning and implementation of the parental engagement program and activities in our school. The focus of all Title I programs is to help eligible students meet the same high academic achievement standards expected of all children. The following survey is confidential and will be used to assist us with future planning for parental involvement activities and events at our school.
We appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to complete this survey.
2022-2023 KES School and District Calendars
With the recent tragedies that have occurred across our country in the last few months, much reflection, thought, and care has taken place to ensure our school remains a safe and nurturing environment for all students and staff.
School Safety is top of mind for me and I know for you as well. My team and I have reviewed and refined our procedures to ensure we are ready if an emergency arises.
Every precaution will be taken to ensure the safety of your child during school hours. One safety measure practiced are safety drills (fire, tornado, intruder), which are conducted throughout the school year. Fire drills are held once every month. Tornado drills are held twice a semester. Intruder (Lockdown) drills are held three times a semester. Schedules, exits, and procedures are a part of these important drills to keep our students and staff safe in the event of an emergency. The administrative team and all staff members will be in position to aid in a safe, quick evacuation. Routes of exit are posted in each room of the building. Our number one priority is the safety and security of our students and staff.
During the school day, we ensure the following safety measures are taken:
- All classroom doors remain closed and locked at all times.
- Exterior doors remain locked at all times and are not propped open for any reason.
- Exterior doors will not be opened for visitors.
- All visitors must come to the front of the school to receive assistance.
- All visitors must press the entry button outside the front door and show photo identification. The front office staff will assist all visitors from this point.
- If a visitor does not have an appointment with staff, is not checking out a student, or is not receiving assistance from the front office, they will not be allowed inside the school.
- If parents would like to drop off items for their child, they will utilize the black cart outside the front door and complete a drop off slip. Front office staff will retrieve the items off the cart and ensure your child receives the item.
- Students are monitored by staff members in all areas of the building and during recess.
- Outside of traveling with their class to other parts of the building, students will travel in pairs when leaving their class independently to go to the restroom, nurse, or front office.
- Every classroom is equipped with a telephone and a call button in the event of an emergency.
- During recess, each grade level has a walkie talkie.
- For afternoon dismissal (Silent Dismissal) , students are only dismissed from class when their name appears on the dismissal spreadsheets and/or their bus is called.
- Staff are strategically stationed all around our building and campus to ensure students arrive and depart safely from school.
Our school resource officer does stop by the school on a consistent basis. He walks the building and walk the grounds to ensure we are safe and order is maintained.
In the event of an emergency, we will communicate with all parents via School Messenger and Class Dojo. Please ensure you are connected and signed up for both on your mobile phone. It is important that parents read all text messages from the school thoroughly and follow next steps as outlined.
Safety will always remain our top priority. We appreciate your partnership and collaboration as we work together to maintain a safe learning environment for all students and staff.
2022-2023 STUDENT/PARENT HANDBOOK
A comprehensive student/parent handbook is attached below that outlines our school policies and procedures.
***Please download the handbook using the attachment below and save it to refer to throughout the school year.
2022-2023 BUS ROUTES
Bus routes can be found on the district website. https://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/bus-routes/ and on the attachment below.
Each bus is associated with a color (red, yellow, green, purple, or blue). Please check the attachment below for specific bus colors and the routes each bus is connected to.
Route 733 - Blue
Route 734 - Yellow
Route 735 - Green
Route 736 - Orange
Route 737 - Red
Route 738 - Purple
*The times you see listed on the bus routes are for the morning only. The bus runs in the reverse order (route) taking students back home each afternoon. Buses generally leave the school by 2:35 PM.
Similar to last year, the district's Transportation team is short staffed. This is a continued issue across the state and nation. Throughout the year, I will communicate ASAP when this issue effects our school. Please know that we have some drivers that will be picking up more than one route. This means there might be delays the first week of school.
Please plan to check your email each morning and afternoon for any possible updates.
Thank you for your support and understanding as the transportation department works diligently to make the best plan amidst the current situation.
DO YOU HAVE YOUR FAMILY ID HANGTAG (Carpool Number)?
Family ID hangtags are required to be visible in your car (carpool) or hand (walkers) during dismissal.
If you are in need of a family ID hangtag, you may pick it up any weekday 8:00 AM - 1:30 PM from the school. Please email Mrs. Bari firstname.lastname@example.org or Mrs. Alicea email@example.com .
Parents are encouraged to use carpool when dropping off their child for school. Parents should not drop off students on Brendon Drive in the morning.
- Get in the carpool line by 7:05 AM (morning) and 2:05 PM (afternoon) to ensure that you get through the line quickly.
- Be sure your child exits the car on the right side.
- Staff will assist students getting out of the cars. If you need to assist your child, please park your car in a parking space or pull all the way up to the corner. Please do not get out of your vehicle and stop the flow of traffic.
- The carpool line closes at 7:35 AM to prepare for morning announcements and instruction. Parents may drive around to the front of the building (bus lane) to drop off their child/children between 7:35 AM - 7:40 AM. Parents do not need to escort or check their children in until 7:41 AM.
- The doors open for carpool at 7:10 AM - 7:35 AM for morning arrival (carpool double doors only). Afternoon dismissal for carpool starts at 2:20 PM - 2:35 PM.
- Be kind to the carpool staff that are taking their time to keep all children safe.
- Do not park on the opposite side of the street and send your child across the street alone.
- Do not drop off your child in front of the school during morning arrival. Children may be dropped off after 7:35 AM. Parents will need to sign late students in starting at 7:41 AM.
- When ENTERING the side parking lot- please DO NOT turn left into the parking lot. Please go around the neighborhood and turn RIGHT to enter the parking lot. (Brendon Drive is considered a one-way during arrival and departure times)
SILENT DISMISSAL SYSTEM
We will continue with our Silent Dismissal System. An Inside Look into Afternoon Dismissal - Students are all dismissed directly from their classroom. We started our dismissal system in March of 2021 when students returned back for face-to-face learning. The dismissal system ensures a safe exit for all. We use a live spreadsheets on all classroom Promethean boards. We have staff members stationed all over the school grounds working on the spreadsheets to dismiss students and ensuring students stay distanced and get to the right location. Once students see their name pop up on the spreadsheet, they exit the class. Bus riders are dismissed using the silent dismissal system. We have improved our dismissal system and will continue to make the process better. Thank you so much for your patience as we dismiss students safely from our school into your care.
SCHOOL UNIFORMS ARE HIGHLY ENCOURAGED FOR STUDENTS
We encourage all students to wear school uniforms Monday - Thursday.
Fridays are designated as Spirit Days. Students may wear a Kingsley Elementary t-shirt or the color red or blue, with denim bottoms.
If your child needs to have medication administered at school, please download the form below and have your physician to complete it. On the first day of school, please place the form and medication in a ziploc bag clearly labeled with your child's first/last name. Inform the teacher that these items are in your child's bookbag and we will be sure the front office receives it. Please note that we do not have a school nurse at this time. However, the front office staff will assist with medication.
WHO TO CONTACT WHEN QUESTIONS ARISE
Please review and save the list below so you are aware who to contact when questions arise.
Direct questions regarding the following items to the people below.
- Membership Toolkit - Mrs. Meredith Alberto & Mrs. Erin Nusnbaum : firstname.lastname@example.org
- School Spirit Wear - email@example.com
- Family ID Hang tags - Mrs. Marian Bari : firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reporting your child's absence from school - email your child's homeroom teacher AND our school registrar, Mrs. Regina Alicea: email@example.com
- Changes in transportation - email your child's homeroom teacher AND our school secretary, Mrs. Alicea: firstname.lastname@example.org . This must be done by 10am!
- Questions about school lunch - email our cafeteria manager, Mrs. Catalina Moreno-Ortega: email@example.com
- General questions pertaining to your child's class - email your child's homeroom teacher
- Questions regarding gifted eligibility - email our gifted teacher, Mrs. Bari: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions related to school counseling - email our school counselor: Dr. Marilyn Hamilton: email@example.com
- Questions pertaining to After School Program - please contact our director Mrs. Pamela Jones: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions pertaining to our after school tutorial program - email Ms. Phyllis Ingram email@example.com
- Questions pertaining to grades - email our Assistant Principal, Ms. Shayna Bishop firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions pertaining to class schedules, progress reports, and report cards - email our Assistant Principal, Ms. Bishop email@example.com
- Questions pertaining to districtwide assessments (MAP, CogAT, GA Milestones, ACCESS) - email our School Test Coordinator/Assistant Principal, Ms. Bishop firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions pertaining to School Wide operations - email Dr. Harris-Thompson email@example.com
Breakfast and lunch are served each day of school. Please review the flyer below for more information.
****Please note: Breakfast and Lunch are not free this school year.
Information about meal applications and meal payments can be found at the link below.
Breakfast and lunch menus can always be found on this website: https://www.dekalbschoolsga.org/school-nutrition/menus/
Please contact our Cafeteria Manager if you have questions: Mrs. Catalina Moreno-Ortega, firstname.lastname@example.org .
USDA has not granted school districts the ability to extend the “meals at no cost” waiver for the 2022-23 school year. As a result, families must either pay for meals or be determined eligible to receive free or reduced-price meal benefits.
An online application for SY 22-23 is available on the DCSD website. Unless your family has received a letter indicating you are already qualified, you must complete a free or reduced-price application. Please apply if you think your family may qualify.
Sign up and/or Opt-in to School Messenger to stay informed with Kingsley ES and DCSD news and updates.
We are Kingsley Elementary School where our staff and students strive for the best and never accept anything less.
Location: 2051 Brendon Drive, Dunwoody, GA, USA