The Keys To Learning
Monday, January 26, 2015
Happy New Year Greetings from Ms. Young, Principal
Technology is the future for our children. Here at Arcado we encourage the students to access their Student Portal from home as a means for gaining access to course work and student learning activities. We are providing you with some information and resources in this newsletter to help you better understand the importance of the student portal.
Arcado is our favorite school so why not save the Arcado web site as one of your favorites on your home computer? Arcado’s web site is a familiar site where your child knows how to find everything they need for school, including My eClass, calendar, cafeteria menus, and so much more. Just go to arcado.org/home, have your child show you around the site, then save it as your favorite.
I wish for you & your family a happy and healthy 2015!
Arcado Students & Teachers are ALL ABOUT THE BOOKS ENJOY our video!!!
School Star Climate Rating
Will you please take a few minutes and complete this survey? Thank you so much!
A Guide to the MY eCLASS Student Portal
HERE AT ARCADO STUDENTS ARE ENCOURAGED TO LOG IN TO THE STUDENT PORTAL FROM HOME. STUDENTS CAN USE A COMPUTER, TABLET, OR PHONE TO ACCESS MY eCLASS.
The MYeCLASS Student Portal provides students with access to a number of resources, including:
• C&I Course Pages that extend class online with information about assignments, a place for discussions, and other resources to help students. Students also can communicate with their teachers directly through the course pages.
• eTextbooks that correspond to the individual student’s class schedule. (Not all textbooks are available on the portal at this time.)
• A Media Catalog specific to each school that includesTop 10 Books, Resource Lists, and New Arrivals.
• An Online Research Library that includes general reference materials, eBooks, and databases full of learning resources that are organized by school level (elementary, middle, and high school).
• Additional digital resources, such as links to websites (e.g. Classworks) that support what students are learning.
• Grades for classes in student’s current class schedule, plus drill-down specifics on assignments.
Are you registered on the Parent Portal?
Maintaining the home-school connection is even easier using the Parent Portal. On the portal, parents can:
• Find scores/grades for projects, tests, homework, and
quizzes for current courses, including missing work;
• Access an overview of your student’s grades, attendance,
discipline record, and program information;
• See your student’s course history;
• Review your student’s results on standardized tests;
• E-mail your student’s teacher;
• Find information about your student’s textbooks and
library materials (and any related fines or refunds); and
• Check your student’s current MyPaymentsPlus balance
information (lunch balance, etc.)
To open a Parent Portal account, come to the School Front Office and complete the registration form. This form must be returned in person to allow the school to verify your identity. Please bring a Picture ID with you.
Book Fit Challenge
We plan to use the profits from this fundraiser this school year by purchasing new furniture for the Media Center. Below are some examples of the type of furniture we are going to purchase. This is VERY exciting as we have never updated our Media Center!!!!
Reading Rocks Night is scheduled for Monday, May 11. We are planning to host a grand opening walk through of the new Media Center that night.
If fundraising is not something you are interested in, you can make a monetary donation to the Arcado PTA for the Media Center (checks made payable to Arcado PTA). We appreciate your support no matter how it comes to us. We are just so excited!!!
Below is a great video to help you visualize what we want for our Media Center. Please watch!!!
Promotion/Retention Criteria for 3rd, 4th, & 5th graders
K-5 grade students should demonstrate proficiency on the AKS, in order to be promoted to the next grade.
The Progress Report should reflect the student's proficiency on the (AKS). Multiple assessments should be used continuously throughout the year. The teacher should recommend promotion for all students possessing the academic knowledge and skills (AKS) necessary to be reasonably successful at the next grade level. For students being considered for retention, the SST should determine promotion or retention according to Policy IGB. If retention is the decision, the Retention Notification Form should be used. Promotion to the next grade level for an EL student may be determined by the student's progress on his/her English Learner Proficiency Plan and recommendation of the EL/TPC.
Promotion decisions regarding placement of special education students should be guided by their IEP.
Arcado Elementary School will consider multiple criteria when making promotion, retention, and/or summer school decisions. Criteria examples include but are not limited to:
· Prior assessment history (standardized, district, and local, assessments)
· Report card grades – AKS mastery in the core content areas (Reading/LA, Math, Social Studies, Science)
· Previous summer school attendance
· Teacher evaluation/comments from the school year
· Work samples
· Extenuating circumstances that may have contributed to lack of student success
· Academic Contract
Summer School will be offered again this year to students in grades 3, 4, & 5 who are on an academic contract in one or more content areas.
Bring the Internet home for just $9.95 a month.
Contact Mrs. Olga Cisneros, Arcado Parent Liaison, at 678-245-3916 for assistance with school documents you will need to get this service.
Parkview High School International Night
For the first time in over a decade, Parkview High School is hosting an International Night. The community is invited to this multicultural event on Thursday, February 5th from 6:00 to 8:30pm in the Parkview Theater.
There is so much for families to enjoy. The evening will feature cultural dances and musical performances from around the world, including Indian classical dances and Chinese folk music. Multiple crafts and activities such as henna and painting will be available from each continent for all ages to enjoy. Finally, students and restaurants have prepared various international cuisines for everyone to taste throughout the night.
Admission is $2.00. Come enjoy free food, music, and activities at Parkview High School’s International Night! Bring your family and friends to a night you won’t soon forget!