The Week Ahead Memo
State Road Elementary School
Monday, March 23, 2015
Events This Week!
on Monday afternoon for an Ad Council Meeting
on Tuesday afternoon for funeral for my great uncle (I will be back for exhibition)
Grade Fixes for the Year!
As a reminder, our “Grade Fixes” that we agreed to pilot for this school year are:
▫ Fix 1: Don’t include student behaviors in grades; include only achievement
▫ Fix 5: Don’t consider attendance in grade determination; report absences separately
▫ Fix 6: Don’t include group scores in grades; use only individual achievement evidence
"Grading" SI Action Team Requests:
- As a staff, we are going to focus on one fix per month
- For this month, please read Fix #6: Don’t include group scores in grades; use only individual achievement evidence. Please read pp. 52-56 and provide your feedback to either Gabe or Callie. It is actually very easy reading and we do value your comments as we used them to lead our discussion.
We will compile and share this feedback at our January team meeting and with the rest of the staff.
Observation / Evaluation Process Update
Round 3 of Observations have started! Our 'Noticings’ and ‘Wonderings’ sections will focus on the Dimension of (A) Assessment for Student Learning.
- Observations - We will again conduct a minimum of 3 observations for the year (district continuity).
- Observations Time - These will be 15-30 min of lesson scripting and another 15 minutes of coding.
- I should be able to access or view your daily lesson plans with assigned standards.
- A difference from last year is that all observations will be unannounced (law compliance and district continuity).
- We will have a Dimension focus during observations (up to two dimensions). The dimension focus areas will be the areas that Noticing’s, Wonderings, and Analysis will be derived.
Culture of Learning
5 week series: 5 Things to do Instead of Complain by Jon Gordon
Quote of the week...
What's Happening Next Week?
- Grades DUE in PowerSchool by Monday, March 30 at 9am
- Report Cards will be printed and in your mailbox by Monday afternoon
- Thursday, April 2 is a Half Day for students; dismissal at 11:55am
- There is NO SCHOOL Friday, April 3 (Spring Break BEGINS)
Spring Parent / Teacher Conferences
Wednesday, April 1, 4:30-7:30pm
Thursday, April 2, 12:00-3:00pm (Half Day for Students; dismissal at 11:55am)
- The above nine (9) hours must be made available on your conference sign-up schedule (additional time may be added before/after school, etc.)
- Please include me on your letter or email/link to parents!
- I will have a parent letter re: conferences ready to send home sometime tomorrow.
DOWN THE ROAD...
- Return from break on Monday, April 13
- Our April Staff Meeting is Tuesday, April 14
- Hungry Howie's Night is Thursday, April 16
- Popcorn Day is Friday, April 17
- Assembly - Fenton Community Orchestra - Friday, Apil 17 at 9:30am