How the planets got their names
Our beautiful solar system
All of the planets, apart from Earth, were named after Greek and Roman gods and goddesses. The 6 closest planets to the sun were named in that time because they couldn't see Neptune and Uranus. The 2 other planets were named when telescopes were invented but still after Greek and Roman gods.
Gods they were named after
- Mercury is named after the roman god meaning the messenger.
- Venus is named after the goddess of love and beauty.
- Earth was named after the English and German words ertha' and 'erde' meaning ground.
- Mars is named after the god of war.
- Jupiter is named after the god meaning light and sky.
- Saturn is named after the son of the god Uranus.
- Uranus is named after the god of light and heaven.
- Neptune is named after the god of fresh water and the sea.
- Pluto is named after the god meaning past ruler of the underworld.