The Panther Press
DMS Newsletter September 2018
Our school year is off to a FANTASTIC start! We are settling in to our daily routines as teachers and students are delving deep in to rich learning experiences. As we move forward throughout the year, it will be important for students to work on developing and practicing time management and organizational skills. These skills are critical for student success. Encourage your student to use his/her planner daily to keep up with assignments, important due dates and extracurricular commitments.
Students have been excited about the kick-off of our various sports competitions last week. Volleyball, football, band, cheer and dance teams are showing their panther pride as they demonstrate skill on the field and court. We look forward to seeing many of you as we cheer our various sports teams on to victory!
Our website is a great resource and highlights many things that are happening at DMS. Be sure to check it weekly for updates and the latest news and information.
With Panther Pride,
Discovery Middle School: A place for innovation, excellence and discovery.
Discovery's 8th grade football team took over the field on the 26th of August as part of the Discovery Football Jamboree.
The DMS cheerleaders were there to support the football team, and they helped cheer on the Panthers to a 16 - 0 win over Emma Sansom Middle School and a 6 - 0 win over our across town rivals, Liberty Middle School! Go Panthers!
The 7th grade football team also played on August 26 at the Buckhorn Middle School Jamboree. They came very close to a win, with the final score being 22 - 24; the team played hard and had a great first game!
On Thursday, August 30, our football team played Gadsden Middle School at home. Final scores for those games were 7th grade 0 - 6 and 8th grade 16 - 0.
We are very proud of the 7th grade Lady Panthers team who brought home First Place at the tournament!
Both the 7th and 8th grade volleyball teams won their season opener against Liberty on Thursday, August 30.
It’s a great time to be a part of Discovery Middle School! Go Panthers!
Come Out and Support Our Teams!
DMS Football Schedule
- 9/6 (Home) vs Buckhorn Middle School @ 5:00 p.m. (7th) & 6:30 p.m. (8th)
- 9/13 (Away) vs Meridianville Middle School @ 5:00 p.m. (7th) & 6:30 p.m. (8th) (@ Hazel Green High School)
- 9/20 (Away) vs Monrovia Middle School @ 5:00 p.m. (7th) & 6:30 p.m. (8th) (@Sparkman Middle School)
- 9/27 (Away) vs Sparkman Middle School @ 5:00 p.m. (7th) & 6:30 p.m. (8th) (@Sparkman Middle School)
- 10/4 (Home) vs Liberty Middle School @ 5:00 p.m. (7th) & 6:30 p.m. (8th)
DMS Lady Panthers Volleyball Schedule
- 9/1 Huntsville Middle Panther Smash – Tournament Times TBA
- 9/4 (Away) vs. Sparkman @ 4:30 p.m. (7th) & 5:30 p.m. (8th)
- 9/6 (Away) vs. Meridianville @ 4:30 p.m. (7th) & 5:30 p.m. (8th)
- 9/8 Liberty Jamboree @ James Clemens – Tournament Times TBA
- 9/10 (Away) vs. Liberty @ 4:00 p.m. (7th) & 5:00 p.m. (8th)
- 9/11 (Away) vs. Monrovia @ 4:30 p.m. (7th) & 5:30 p.m. (8th)
- 9/13 (Away) vs. Buckhorn @ 4:30 p.m. (7th) & 5:30 p.m. (8th)
- 9/17 (Home) vs. Meridianville @ 4:30 p.m. (7th) & 5:30 p.m. (8th)
- 9/18 (Home) vs. Buckhorn @ 4:30 p.m. (7th) & 5:30 p.m. (8th)
- 9/20 (Home) vs. Monrovia @ 4:00 p.m. (7th) & 5:00 p.m. (8th)
- 9/24 (Home) vs. Sparkman @ 4:30 p.m. (7th) & 5:30 p.m. (8th) Tournament Times TBA
PTA Reflections Contest
The PTA Reflections Contest is now accepting entries! For more information about this opportunity please go to the Alabama PTA Reflections page:http://www.alabamapta.org/reflections
Students may create and submit works of art in six different categories: dance choreography, film production, literature, musical composition, photography, and visual arts.
The deadline for PTA Reflections Contest entries is October 16, 2018.
DMS students interested in showing off or developing their creativity should check out Destination Imagination!
DI is the world's largest program for creative problem-solving, where students work in teams to solve interdisciplinary challenges and present their solutions at competitions in the spring.
Applications are available online.
for more information and to access the application, which is due on September 7.
Great Things are Happening at DMS!
Learning is FUN at DMS! Although school has just begun, our students are already completely engaged in the process of learning and growing!
Our dedicated teachers work hard to ensure that classes are not only educational, but also relevant and interesting to our students. From using technology to practice using integers, constructing hot air balloons to learn about flight, dressing up as characters from literary works, or playing battleship to learn about math, there are wonderful learning activities happening in our classrooms!
Check back each month to see some of the great learning opportunities our students are enjoying!
DMS Student in World Motocross Championships
Discovery Middle School 8th grade student Cael Bagby is a motocross racer who has the distinction of having qualified for the largest amateur motocross race in the world, the 37th Annual Rocky Mountain ATV/MC AMA Amateur National Motocross Championship.
“The Amateur National at Loretta Lynn’s is the best of the best motocross racers in America and around the world,” said Tim Cotter, Director of MX Sports. “just being here makes you an elite racer and a top athlete. A solid finish at Loretta’s would you give you instant National recognition and a possible professional career.”
Cael has won numerous races and championships throughout his career competing in races across the nation.