WEEKLY FAMILY BUFFALO NEWSLETTER
Week of January 30, 2023
S.T. R. O. N. G. Buffalo Country
Greetings Smith Family,
Another amazing week filled with building leader & teacher capacity to increase scholar achievement. Here are a few highlights:
- CTC Roadshow
- Leader Professional Development
- Honor Roll Incentive Game Truck
- PLC Meetings with STRONG data decision
- BISD Board Member Appreciation Luncheon
- Education First Pay It Forward Ceremony
We are looking forward to increasing your academic success for the upcoming STAAR assessment.
Our Team met this week to set Cycle 2 Goals with the following expectations:
Daily Do Now
Small Group Instruction
STAAR-like question types
Please continue encourage scholars to read daily to embrace literacy that will increase fluency, vocabulary, and comprehension.
Thank you for your continued support to move Smith MS to the next level!
FEBRUARY 2023 GOALS: STAAR INTERIM
WEEK 14 CLOSE READ DATA
CONGRATULATIONS TO OUR BISD TOY NOMINEE - MS. JANA JEFFCOAT GRADE 8 RLA
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
FIELD TRIP EXPECTATIONS
Scholar morning arrival reminders
- Doors open at 8:10 AM for Breakfast
- Scholars line up on side walk (one behind the other)
- Keep hands, feet, and any object to self
SAFE BUFFALO RIDERS
Staff Member will ask Bus Drivers for a YES or NO regarding scholar bus behavior. It is all or none expectation to receive the rewards as follows:
- 3 consecutive days = Icee Popsicle
- 10 consecutive days = nachos/drink
- 25 consecutive days = free dress coupon
This incentive is to promote safe bus riders at all times by following the expectations and demonstrating respect to each other. Feel free to provide feedback.
Dr. Tamikia Greene, Assistant Principal
FAMILY INPUT- Please share your thoughts
Ms. Christina Goss, Dean of Climate & Culture
Greetings Buffalo Family!
CELL PHONE POLICY
Cell Phone Collection Procedure
Make sure you send cell phones in a bag and label the bag. Complete the Cell Phone Collection sheet entirely. Turn in the phone/air pods into Mrs. Brush as soon as possible. Do not wait until the end of the day to turn this in.
Once a scholar is on their third tardy, please complete an After School Detention form, call the parents and enter their detention date on the spreadsheet. (Detention notice is attached)
On the fourth tardy, complete a referral in Eduphoria and note the date of their detention in the description.
Garth House Penny Drive - The Garth House Penny Drive is from January 4th - February 17th. Collect pennies from your 1st period class and place them in the gray envelope. There will be prizes for the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners.
Knowledge - As we build relationships, we build character. The word of the month is Knowledge. Knowledge is learning something new so you can be better at whatever you do. The word must be written on your board as a visual representation of character building.
Parent Newsletter - Learning a new skill with your child could take many forms. It might be that you need to change a headlight bulb in your car, and you watch a YouTube video together to figure out how to do it on your own. It could be that you want to bake a new dessert, and you try
it out together.
Questions for parents to consider:
• How is their device helping or hurting their growth of new knowledge?
Questions to ask your child:
• What is the best thing you have learned this year?
• Dream Big Girls Mentorship Group - Wednesdays 10:00 a.m. (Room A-8)
• Take My Hand Girl - Thursdays 2:00 p.m. (Room A-8)
If you would like to mentor at Smith Middle School, please contact Ms. Bryant, Lead School Counselor.
weekly highlights of the Buffalo Voyage!
- January 31st - Donuts with Dudes
- February 8th - Staff Meeting 4:45 - 5:45 PM
- February 10th - DISTRICT PD DAY
- February 13th - Holiday
- February 2023 - STAAR Interim Testing 2
- February 28th - Half Day Periods 5 - 8
- March 2nd - Half Day Periods 1 - 4
- March 3rd - Half Day Periods 5 - 8
- March 13th - 17th SPRING BREAK