was founded in 1682 by William Penn and other colonists.
- Pennsylvania was first colonized by Swedish and Dutch settlers in the 17th century.
- This colony was one of the original 13 colonies located on the Atlantic coast of North America.
- Major Industries: Agriculture and Manufacturing
- In 1750's- exceptionally prosperous farming area had developed in southeastern Pennsylvania. Wheat and corn were the leading crops, though rye, hemp, and flax were also important.
- Pennsylvania Colony used the natural resources and raw materials available to develop trade in corn and wheat and livestock including beef and pork
Why people wanted to settle there...
- Large peice land
- William Penns goal was to make a colony with freedom of religion.
- He set up a body of very liberal laws and made it easy for just about anybody to settle there.
- Everyone was treated fairly
- William Penn helped Pennsylvania have a better life and have peace in the colony
Important People that helped the Success of the colony:
- Gave a huge tract of land
- Had many visions and hopes for this new Land
- Named Philadelphia
- He was a printer, publisher, inventor, scientist, and politician
- Philadelphia claims Franklin as its most illustrious son.