Shull Shark News Bites
Preparing Each Student for a Successful & Meaningful Life
September 24, 2016
Changes for Shull on the Horizon
The Reboundary Process Has Begun
The Attendance Boundary Committee has begun its work to help the District plan for 2017-2018.
Shull Elementary will become the District's Early Childhood center. Shull families are scheduled to receive new school assignments for their children at the first of the calendar year after boundary recommendations have been made to the Board of Education.
Shull staff began planning long ago how to help everyone celebrate our last year as a Shull school family together. We have added Donuts with Dads and Muffins with Moms events, planned several legacy projects for students to create, added additional seasonal parties and will have our biggest and best end of year barbecue ever!
Additionally, students and teachers have been learning about using positive intent, having a growth mindset and how we can choose our brain state to cope better with changes.
Other district changes:
Expansion of the high school to serve all students in grades 9-12 sets in motion a series of changes that will impact each school in the District.
The north high school building will become a second middle school, and both middle schools will have students in grades 6-8.
Bridle Ridge and Eagle Glen Intermediate schools, now serving grades 5-6, will become elementary schools and all elementary schools will serve grades K-5.
As a result of this new grade configuration, new attendance boundaries are needed for the elementary and middle schools. The committee plans to make revised boundary recommendations to the School Board by December.
Photos are Needed for Veterans Day
To prepare for the event, I am asking that you email me a digital photo of the veteran or current service member whom you know will be attending our Veterans Day Ceremony from your family.
Please email the photo to me firstname.lastname@example.org and include:
- "Veterans Day Photo" in the subject line
- the Shull student's name in the email
- the military member's first and last name in the email
- the military member's ranking in the email
- a contact number for you in case we have questions
The RP Freshman Student Leadership Team Teaches Students About Integrity
Parent iPad Tip
Follows these instructions:
Before opening an app, touch the CLOCK and go to TIMER. Underneath the hours/minutes there is a note that indicates your sound choice that will play when the time is finished. Touching that will bring up a menu. Choose STOP PLAYING at the bottom of this list. Then choose the length of time that you'd like the app to be used and press START. When the timer goes off, the screen will return back to the locked screen.
5 Ways Dads Can Make a Difference
Acts of Kindness
Helpers in the Hallway
Kindergartners Lizzie and Ahren use caution while slowly pushing the rolling book cart back to class.
3rd grade students in Mrs. Wooley's class are inspiring others by adding Random Acts of Kindness posters to their lockers in the hallway outside the library.
Kindness in the Cafe
Logan rearranges the lunch trays so they stack neatly on the counter for Ms. Debbie in the kitchen.
Helpers in the Hallway
Pizza Night for Dads & Kids!
Thursday, Sep. 29th, 6:30-7:15pm
11706 East 211th Street
Join us on Thursday, September 29, at 6:30 p.m. in the Shull library for free pizza and refreshments. You'll also learn how you can become a member of our Watch D.O.G.S. program, "Dads of Great Students".
Paper RSVP forms went home last week. Please RSVP here or call school (816)892-1600 to let us know you're coming so we have enough pizza for everyone.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Important Calendar Events
Sept 27 - Shull Culver's Night @ the Raymore Culvers 5:00-8:00 p.m.
Sept 29 - Dad's Pizza Night @ 6:30 p.m.
Oct 3 - Cookie Dough Fundraiser Kick Off
Oct 3 - National Custodian Appreciation Day
Oct 4 - PTA Meeting 6:30 p.m. in the Library Media Center
Oct 7 - 8:00-8:30 a.m. Muffins with Mom in the Shull Cafeteria - RSVP forms will be sent home in September
Oct 13 - Cookie Dough Fundraiser Ends
Oct 14 - NO SCHOOL - Staff Professional Development Day
Oct 20 - Great Shake Out
- The 2016 Great Central U.S. ShakeOut Earthquake drill is happening in the central United States on October 20th, at 10:20 a.m. Your child's teacher will address how to be Earthquake prepared and Earthquake aware.
- Want to learn more? Visit the Great ShakeOut website: http://www.shakeout.org/centralus/
Oct 26 - EARLY RELEASE at 1:15 p.m., Fall Parties and Costume Parade
- Students are dismissed at 1:15-please let us know if your child's dismissal procedure will change on this day be sending a note, email or calling the office (816)892-1600
- We will celebrate and enjoy fall festivities and treats - more information will come soon
- Students MAY wear their costumes to school but should bring clothes to change into after parade!! Be sure costumes are school appropriate and that your child remembers to bring tennis shoes and outerwear to match the weather for recess
Oct 26 & 27 - Parent Teacher Conferences
- Your child's teacher will be scheduling Parent Teacher Conferences soon
- Watch for electronic communication coming home soon
Oct 31-Nov 4 - Shull's Red Ribbon Week Celebration
- Shull's 2016's theme is, "I Elect To Be Drug Free!"
- Watch for info about our celebrations during the week
Nov 3 - Annual Thanksgiving Lunch
- Shull family members are invited to come to school to enjoy a delicious Thanksgiving lunch with their child on November 3
- Guests will eat lunch with their child during their child's regularly scheduled lunch time
- As usual, there is a fee for adult lunches this day. RSVP forms will be sent home soon.
Optimist Members Make Their Annual Delivery of Dictionaries to 3rd Graders
Kindergarten: Wonderscope - October
2nd Grade: Paradise Park: Matter Matters - December
4th Grade: Kauffman Stadium - March
Want to Serve as a Field Trip Chaperone?
Field trip chaperones are required to pay for and pass a background check. They are also expected to ride the bus and supervise a small group of students at the venue. Talk to your child's teacher if you are interested in serving as a chaperone on a field trip this year.
Meal Account Menus & Payments
School meal menus are available on the Child Nutrition website at www.rpchildnutrition.org as well as the “Web Menus” app by School Nutrition and Fitness available through itunes for Apple or Playstore for Android.
New Online Payment Processing
The Child Nutrition Department now uses the Ray-Pec Web Store to process meal account payments. Go to www.raypec.k12.mo.us and select “Online Bill Pay” at the top of the page to replenish funds in your student’s meal account.
Donations Will be Helpful
We are still in need of several items to complete our indoor recess carts:
- foam balls
- gently used puzzles
- empty 2-Liter bottles
- bean bags (homemade is fine)
- gently used socks (washed please)
- skeins of yarn (any color)
- deflated balloons
- cotton balls
- Twister games
- tennis balls
- women's panty hose
- laundry baskets
We appreciate your donations!
Shull Family Members Celebrate the Kick Off of Football Season
C.A.N. Program Sends Food Home on Weekends
Panther Pride Before and After School Care
Apple Bus Company and Bus Routes
Join My Text Message Remind Group!
To sign up to receive important school text reminders:
- open text messaging on your phone
- enter the phone number 81010
- type this in the body of the text: @sharksrock
- send the text!