The Bulldog Buzz!
Week of March 23, 2020
How will you think like a scientist to understand the world around you?
Monday, March 23rd, 9am to Friday, March 27th, 3pm
Home Sweet Home
- Parent/Teacher Conferences will be taking place throughout the week via phone. If you haven't already done so, please reach out to your child's teacher to schedule a time!
- Teachers: Click here for a quick tutorial if you would like to use WebEx for conferences.
- Please email me your conference schedules. Thank you!
The Principal's POV on...Apollo 13'ing this mess!
At one point this week, I came across a meme praising teachers for "Apollo 13'ing" this whole "remote learning" thing and I couldn't agree more! Just like Jim Lovell and his team, we have no road map & to past practice to rely on. Despite this challenge and without missing a beat, Smores have started going out, Flipgrids are being viewed, Zoom meet-ups are taking place & Google Classroom is being used to support our students.
I am so proud to be working with such an AMAZING team of educators and I know that our students will continue to learn & grow because of your efforts! Your openness, flexibility and positivity has been echoed by our families and everyone is making the best of the times we live in (to paraphrase Gandalf). In the days (weeks?) to come don't forget to take some time for yourself and your families. After all, you can't pour from an empty cup! Thank you for all you hard work this week & have a fantastic weekend!
News & Notes
Weekly SEL Story: New #RemoteLearning update for everyone! You can now download reading response materials for our weekly #EverydaySEL story. Each week the document will be uploaded right under our story!
Special Areas: Don't forget to check-in with our fantastic Special Area Teachers as they are updating their web pages with activities as well! Click here to visit Bullock's staff directory!
Faculty Planning: See below for some some important updates & things to keep in mind as we continue to work through this unprecedented challenge.
- Length of Closure: There is really no way of telling how long we will be out, and (as I mentioned during our last faculty meeting) I want us all to be prepared for "day 21." Between now and then, I would like to start by exploring Zoom. This is a great tool for live video chats. My goal would be to establish a daily "check-in" time for students to chat with us, their peers & to ask any questions they might have.
- Device Access: A poll will be going to families so we can gauge the availability of devices in their homes. This will help to determine a long-term plan of action.
- Attendance: There has been some questions from parents via social media about “attendance” routines. Our packets will be utilized to determine if the tasks were completed, however, this would clearly be well after the fact. The admin team will be discussing this next week & will be send out a communication with any updates.
- Posting “Plans” in OnCourse: Please remember to update your OnCourse pages to reflect the categories outlined during our faculty meeting. If you are experiencing any difficulties reaching a specific student/family, please let me know.
Bullock's BOOM Board!
Shout out to everyone who helped put together the additional work packets for possible additional days out-you guys did an awesome job with very little time--thank you!!!!
- Huge shout out to the Bullock family for pulling together and working so hard during this difficult time. Thinking of each and everyone one of you. Stay safe and stay well!
- Thanks to our amazing cafeteria staff for feeding our kids!
- Thank you Anthony for helping me! Tag
- Kudos to our amazing staff of teachers who are stepping up in so many ways to reach our kids! You rock! Tag
- Hey Burt!! Digital co-teaching is tough but we’re figuring it out.
- I like to give a shout out to Katie for being a great work partner even with social distancing!
- Thanks to everyone who worked so hard to get the work packets ready for the students. We are getting good feedback.
- We are an amazing group of people who really know how to come together and support one another!
- Mrs. Sweeney and BSI staff for putting more work together! Thank you!!!
- I am so impressed by everyone’s hard work and dedication during this difficult time. You have truly risen to the occasion and exceeded any expectations I may have had. Way to go Bullock!! ~Andi
Community events/reminders are in bold.
- 03/02: Bulldog Buddies Meeting/Read Across America Week
- 03/06: CAST Meetings
- 03/09: Faculty PLC/Team Meetings & ACCESS Testing (3/9-20)
- 03/12: Class Pics (Staff Pic @ 8:00)
- 03/16: Science Field Experience (Pitman Theater)
- 03/17: International Club Mock Trial
- 03/20: CAST Meetings
- 03/23: Parent/Teacher Conferences
- 03/30: Hacking School Discipline (Virtual PLC)
Weekly Updates/Plans Due
Monday, March 23rd, 8am
Please update via OnCourse
- To the Bullock Faculty: My Chat & Chew block will still be running during our period of remote learning! If you would like to dialog about any initiatives, share questions, talk D4 or just have a laugh...let me know and we can set-up a WebEx virtual meeting!