Political Cartoons Analysis
Meghan Covert and Shannon Spirit
National Security Blanket
Subject: President Nixon hiding from his problems and responsibilities.
Context: The political corruption during Nixon's term as president.
- Symbolism: Nixon hiding behind the flag is symbolic of him using his job as an excuse. The files and other items were associated with the corruption.
- Exaggeration: His features were exaggerated for recognition and the room was cluttered with problems.
- Labeling: All the different parts portraying his corruption were clearly labeled.
- Analogy: Nixon hiding behind the flag like a security blanket.
- Irony: Him seeking the protection of his country after corrupting it.
- Purpose: The purpose of the cartoon was To reveal Nixon's scams and show what a coward he was.
"Light! More Light!" - Goethe's Last Words
Subject: The negative effect of the Nazis on German civilization.
Context: It was created as the Nazis were about to take full control of Germany and start WWII.
- Symbolism: The Nazi's hat smothering the flame like how to Nazis were smothering German culture.
- Exaggeration: The flame of German civilization being completely out is an exaggeration, as it wasn't completely put out, just not as prominent as it was before the Nazi's.
- Labeling: The artist labeled the Nazi hat and the candle as German civilization.
- Analogy: The effect the hat had on the flame was similar to the effect the Nazi's effect on German civilization.
- Purpose: The reason the artist created the cartoon was the express the effect the Nazi's has on Germany.
No Foreign Entanglements
Subject: The commercial trade interests of America.
Context: After WWI, the USA emerged as a World Power.
- Symbolism: The ships all over the world represent America's power as the only country involved in WWI not destroyed and the size of the America in relation to the other countries.
- Exaggeration: The size of the senate and American flags are exaggerated.
- Labeling: The US senate and the American commercial interests are labeled.
- Analogy: The expansion of America to the rest if the world.
- Purpose: To show the US expansion in comparison to the rest of the world.