We are proud to offer a variety of afterschool enrichment activities for our students. As you come to pick up your child after a club, please ensure that you are also using Yost Street to enter the car rider line area. This helps the flow of traffic and maintains safety. We have had fender benders lately so please follow these safety guidelines!
Third Grade HAWKS Achievement Awards & Student Led Conferences will be rescheduled to Tuesday, March 12 at 8 AM. We hope you can join us!
We have students who need a few items for their Book Character Costume. If you have a Youth Medium/Large striped shirt or a Davy Crockett type hat to donate, please let us know!
Please remember that parking is an issue at our school. We encourage you to carpool to Leadership Day. We will hopefully utilize our playground for parking (weather permitting). Please remember not to park across the street in our neighbors gravel lot.
Growth and Development Classes for 4th Graders
It is that time of year again to begin our Growth and Development classes in the 4th grade. See below for a flyer that is posted on the BCS website advertising the parent preview night.
Parents wishing to preview the program and ask questions of the instructors will have that opportunity at 6:00 PM on Monday, March 4 at the Buncombe County Schools Board Office at 175 Bingham Road. The curriculum is also posted online at https://goo.gl/dN9brF
Lessons will be conducted with our 4th grade students on Wednesday, April 10th. Students will be divided into classrooms by gender.
You may also email Debbie Bryant at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
PTO needs help for Spring Fling!
Lost and Found is overflowing! Please stop by the school and check to see if any of your child's belongings are in our Lost and Found. Please sign in at the office and go towards the cafeteria to find our racks of missing items!
March is Music in Our Schools Month!
We appreciate everything that Ms. Roop does for our school and our students!
*Music majors are the most likely group of college grads to be admitted to medical school. ~Lewis Thomas, Case for Music in the Schools, Phi Delta Kappa, 1994
* Students who participate in school band or orchestra have the lowest levels of current and lifelong use of alcohol, tobacco and illicit drugs among any group in our society. ~ H. Con. Res. 266, United States Senate, June 13, 2000
* With music in schools, students connect to each other better-greater camaraderie, fewer fights, less racism and reduced use of hurtful sarcasm. ~ Eric Jensen, Arts With the Brain in Mind, 2001
* A study of 7,500 university students revealed that music majors scored the highest reading scores among all majors including English, biology, chemistry and math. ~ The Case for Music in the Schools, Phi Delta Kappa, 1994
* During moments of musical euphoria, blood travels through the brain to areas where other stimuli can produce feelings of contentment and joy-and travels away from brain cell areas associated with depression and fear.
~ Dr. Frederick Tims, reported in AMC Music News, June 2, 1999
* U.S. Department of Education data show that students who report consistently high levels of involvement in instrumental music during the middle- and high-school years show "significantly higher levels of mathematics proficiency by grade 12."
~ James Catterall, Richard Chapleau, and John Iwanaga, "Involvement in the Arts and Human Development," 1999
* Teaching through the arts motivates children and increases their aptitude for learning. ~ Eric Jensen, Arts With the Brain in Mind, 2001
February 26 - Midterms will go home
February 27 - WIG Out Wednesday - ask your child about his/her goals!
February 28 - SIT Meeting at 2:45
March 1 - Favorite Book Character Dress Up Day and Parade
March 5 - Produce Fair
March 6 - WIG Out Wednesday - ask your child about his/her goals!
March 6 - Statewide Tornado Drill
March 8 - Weaverville Elementary Leadership Day and Early Dismissal Day
March 11 - Regular School Day
March 11 - Safe Schools Lockdown Drill in the AM
March 12 - 3rd Grade HAWKS Achievement Awards and Student-Led Conferences at 8 AM
March 13 - WIG Out Wednesday - ask your child about his/her goals!
March 14 - PTO Meeting at 8 AM at Weaverville Elementary
March 14 - Dine Out for Weaverville Schools! Plan to eat out on this day to support Weaverville PTO! More information coming home soon!
March 15 - 4th Grade Battle of the Books
March 20 - WIG Out Wednesday - ask your child about his/her goals!
March 21 - PTO Night Meeting (repeat of March 14th meeting) at 6:00 PM and WvES Advisory Council Meeting immediately following
March 27 - WIG Out Wednesday - ask your child about his/her goals!
March 27 - Student Clubs and Early Dismissal Day - School dismisses at 12:25
March 28 - Music in Schools - Third Grade Musical Performance at 1:15
March 29 - Michael Anthony Steele Author Visit
April 5 - 4th Grade ELA Check In
April 8 - 4th Grade Math Check In
April 9 - 3rd Grade Math Check In
April 10 - 4th Grade Growth and Development Classes
April 12 - 3rd Grade Battle of the Books
April 15 - 19 - Spring Break
May 2 - 4th Grade visits to tour North Windy Ridge - 8:30 AM and 9:30 AM
May 2 - 4th Grade Parent Night at North Windy Ridge - 6:00 PM
May 3 - Weaverville Elementary Field Day (rain date May 24)
May 4 - BCS Celebrate STEM Day
May 17 - Weaverville Schools PTO Spring Fling!
May 23 - Rising 2nd Graders visit our school and 6 PM Transition Night Event