This Week in SALS Youth Services
September 4, 2015
Short and sweet
" Complete this sentence: For Summer 2016, our library would like to...
You can share your program idea, goals, activities and dreams for your community, or you can let SALS staff know what your needs are to plan for 2016."
I am already working on the February workshop and would love some more ideas to round out the day. So far we will have a coding workshop and I am hopeful that we will have some representatives from local "fitness" groups come in and demonstrate programs ideas. I think we will spend the first half exercising our bodies and the second half exercising our minds!
Using Every Child Ready To Read 2 - Ready To Read at New York Libraries workshop
Thursday, Sep. 17th, 9am-3:30pm
22 Whitney Pl
Saratoga Springs, NY
THIS WILL BE REPEATED ON SEPTEMBER 17TH
Using Every Child Ready to Read 2” is the second training of the new Ready to Read at New York Libraries : Early Childhood Public Library Staff Development Program which consists of 5 components designed so that all public libraries in New York State have the skilled staff, resources, and outreach information to best serve all families with young children in their communities.
Participants who receive ECRR2 training will learn how to:
- incorporate ECRR2’s five practices of talking, singing, reading, writing, and playing in early childhood development early literacy activities and programs;
- deliver sessions/programs using techniques that model behaviors for parents and caregivers in support of early childhood development;
- conduct early childhood programs for community agencies and day care providers that incorporate ECRR2 principles; and
- Align ECRR2 activities with New York State Education goals and standards and how to incorporate that information into programs for parents, child care providers, and community agencies.
9-noon Introduction/refresher of the 5 ECRR2 practices.
noon-1 pm lunch on your own
1-3:30 +/- Using Every Child Ready to Read 2
Please email Jennifer Ferriss if you plan to attend. This is the same session as the August 31, 2015 workshop.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
It's All About the Children - No, Wait! The Parents
Thursday, Oct. 1st, 9am-3:30pm
99 Clinton Street
Mohawk Valley and Upper Hudson are teaming up for an October 1 youth services workshop on early literacy. The workshop, at Schenectady County Public Library, includes:
· The next training segment in the Ready to Read at New York Libraries initiative: Every Child Ready to Read2
· A presentation of best books to share in early lit programs
· Methods for promoting early lit practices with parents through readers advisory and moreYou’ll be participating and practicing during this workshop! Join us for a day of learning and networking.
If you want a copy of the flyer to RSVP, please email Jennifer. Cost is $40 without lunch, $50 with lunch.
Saturday, Oct. 17th, 9am-4pm
135 Western Ave
Sponsored by Capital Region BOCES with support from Questar III, Bethlehem Public Library, Acadia Middle School, Albany High School, C.A. Bouton High School, Maple Hill Middle School, Northshire Bookstore, Pinewood Elementary School, and Schalmont Middle School.
Register Here! http://teenreadercon.weebly.com/
Every Kid in the Park
News from LibraryLand
Tri-City Valley Cats
From Michael @ Corinth
If anyone else is interested, the best person to contact is Michelle Skinner
She's in charge of Fan Development. Southpaw, the chief mascot, comes here every summer, and they give us many more free tickets than we need!
Special Purchase Offer from AWE
September 1, 2015 through December 15, 2015
Note: This special cannot be combined with any other offers. *Pricing includes all-in-one touchscreen platform, customized color coded keyboard, child-sized mouse, three-year hardware warranty, and annual version upgrades. ^Pricing includes two-year warranty & stylus pen.
Product Regular Price/Special Rate
Early Literacy Station* $3,150/$2,599
AfterSchool Edge* $3,150/$2,599
Early Literacy Station - Bilingual Spanish* $3,350/$2,750
Early Literacy Station Tablet^ $2,750/$2,255
AfterSchool Edge Tablet^ $2,750/$2,255
Contact your local AWE account executive to place your order!