Titan Talk Newsletter
Jan. 25, 2019
- 1/26 - Titan Advantage @ 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
- 1/26 - Ruffin Reading Bowl -Autrey Mill Middle School- 8-12
- 1/26 - Titan Tech Team Competes at the FCS 18th Annual Technology Competition at Centennial High School
- 1/26 - EPMS Night at the Symphony
- 1/28 - Girl's Basketball Practice in GYM @ 4:30p to 5:30p
- 1/29 - 6TH GRADE BREAKFAST OF EXCELLENCE - CEREMONY BEGINS @ 7:30 AM
- 1/29 - Hampton Film Academy in Media Center @ 4:05p to 5:30p
- 1/29 - Coding Club @ 4:15 pm 5:15 pm (Temske)
1/29 - Boy's Basketball Practice in Gym @ 4:30p to 5:30p
1/30 - 7TH GRADE BREAKFAST OF EXCELLENCE - CEREMONY BEGINS 7:30 AM
1/30 - Scoliosis Training@ North Learning Center, 450 Northridge Parkway, Sandy Springs, GA 30350 @ 9:00a to 11:00a
1/30 -Drama Club @ 4:15 – 5:15 pm in E-111 @ 4:15p to 5:15p
1/30 - Basketball: Hopewell vs Elkins Pointe - HOME in Gym - Elkins Pointe @ 5:30p
1/31 - 8TH GRADE BREAKFAST OF EXCELLENCE - CEREMONY BEGINS@ 7:30 AM
1/31 - FCA IS CANCELED DUE TO BREAKFAST OF EXCELLENCE
1/31 - Hampton Film Academy in Media Center @ 4:05p to 5:30p
1/31 - Multicultural Club @ 4:15 pm to 5:15 pm
1/13 - Running Club @ 4:15 pm to 5:15 pm (Ingram)
1/31 - Boy's Basketball Practice in GYM @ 4:30p to 5:30p
1/31 - MHS Dual Enrollment Night @ Milton High School (13025 Birmingham Hwy, Alpharetta, GA, United States) @ 6:30p to 8:30p
2/1 - RED OUT! WEAR BE THE VOICE/RED T-SHIRTS FOR HEART ♥ AWARENESS
- 2/1 - District Honor Band (Off-Campus /Wilson)
- 2/1 - Lost & Found Donated (items are donated at the beginning of every month)
2/1 - Interact Club @ 7:45 (Mrs. Streeter)
2/1 - Running Club @ 4:15 pm to 5:15 pm (Newman)
2/2 - Titan Advantage @ 9 am - 12 noon
Thank you for taking the survey. It should only take five to ten minutes.
Dates to Note:
SCOLIOSIS SCREENING VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
Jan. 30 - Scoliosis Screening Training
@ North Learning Center @ 9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
* 20 Screeners Needed - LOTS of Screeners Needed!
Feb. 20 - Screening of 6th-grade/8th-grade
@ Elkins Pointe MS @ 12-4 PM
To sign up to be trained and to screen:
* * *
BREAKFASTS OF EXCELLENCE - HONOR STUDENTS
* Cafeteria doors open at 7:15 AM and the ceremony starts at 7:30 AM
Jan. 29, 2019 - 6th Grade Breakfast of Excellence
Jan 30, 2019 - 7th Grade Breakfast of Excellence
Jan 31, 2019 - 8th Grade Breakfast of Excellence
Sign Up Link:
LOTS VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
*Parents invited to attend Breakfasts with their child
** Invitations sent home via WINN Class.
* * *
* NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
SCHOOL CLOSED - FCS HOLIDAY - 2/15
SCHOOL CLOSED - PRESIDENT’S DAY - 2/18
NO SCHOOL - ELKINS POINTE FULL RELEASE DAY - 2/19
SCHOOL DAY REINSTATED - IMPORTANT DATE CHANGE - 3/8
FRIDAY, MARCH 8th, 2019 IS A SCHOOL DAY
STUDENTS REPORT TO SCHOOL - FCS CALENDAR CHANGE
* ALL STUDENTS & TEACHERS REPORT TO SCHOOL *
Note: ALL Elkins Pointe students will now have school
on the day above to make up for school closing in the fall for Election Day.
Message From the Principal
Happy Friday Titans!
Congratulations to our Professional of the Year, and the nominees for Teacher of the Year! This morning at our monthly staff meeting we celebrated the work we do and each other by recognizing those of us who make our school Smart Happy and Connected! Because we are AVID about education, there were 32 teachers nominated and 18 professionals nominated by their peers.
It was an honor to crown Ms. Traci Dease, our Guidance Counselor, as our 2019-2020 Professional of the Year. In this time where our kids need so much Social and Emotional support, Ms. Dease gives her heart and soul to students. Ms. Dease always has "an open ear" for students, and "uplifts our students and encourages them to do and be their best. She is kind and respectful towards teachers, parents, and students. She demonstrates professionalism with everything that she does in the building." Ms. Dease is a great mother, a great friend, a great teacher, a great counselor, and great with the kids. This is what makes her so great for Elkins Pointe. We love and thank you, Ms. Dease!
We also coronated three Teacher of the Year Nominees. Congratulations to the fabulous:
- Monique Erskine-Wilson, 7th-grade Math
- Krista Fancher - 8th-grade ELA/Reading
- Malikah Williams - 8th-grade Math
In the next few weeks, a special committee comprised of an administrator, SGC member, parent representative, and a teacher colleague will observe our three teachers and vote. The big reveal for Elkins Pointe Teacher of the Year for 2019-2020 will occur during Teacher and Staff Appreciation Week at the TOTY Breakfast.
Next week, I look forward to celebrating our students at the three Breakfasts of Excellence. I would also like to give a "shout out" to the Girls and Boy Basketball Teams, the Titan Tech Team, and the Ruffin Reading Bowl Team. Best of luck this Saturday to the Tech Team at Centennial High School and the Reading Team at Autry Mill. Our Titans will love it if you come out for the competitions or basketball games to support and cheer them to victory!
Kindra L. Smith, Ed.S
Elkins Pointe Middle School
Home of the Titans!
CELEBRATE POTY & TOTY!!
Dolls Made By Smart, Happy, Connected Students!
Profe Crowe's Spanish students made corn-husk dolls to celebrate “el día de Reyes” ( Day of the Wise Men) and to remember the Alamo. Next week they will be on display in the Media Center. We invite you to come to see the dolls in person.
If the Necktie Fits!
THINGS TO TWEET ABOUT!
THINGS TO KNOW
Sign Up to Help with the Breakfasts of Excellence
We need LOTS of parent volunteers to help with the 6th, 7th, and 8th grade honors breakfasts.
If you are attending the breakfast with your child, you can help serve and when the ceremony begins you can join your child. Questions? Contact: Veronica.OBrien@andritz.com
“The Breakfasts of Excellence” - 1/29, 1/30, 1/31
The Honor Roll Breakfast has been expanded and will be now called the “The Breakfast of Excellence.” Elkins Pointe will now recognize students for their "Excellence" by awarding students in these categories:
- "A" Honor Roll: all "A"s on the semester 1 report card; this includes Connections classes.
- "A/B" Honor Roll: "A"s, and "B"s on their semester 1 report card. There must be at least one A on the student report card in an academic subject (e.g. ELA, Math, Social Studies, Science, World Language).
- Perfect Attendance: No absences during the first semester. This includes attending all eight periods of the school day, and not having any tardies.
*Parents are invited to attend the breakfasts; the invitations will be sent home with "Excellent" students via WINN Class.
- 6th Grade Superior - All As
- 6th Grade Excellent - A and B
- 7th Grade Superior - All As
- 7th Grade Excellent - A and B
- 8th Grade Superior - All As
- 8th Grade Excellent - A and B
- Perfect Attendance for 6th, 7th, and 8th grades
Parents and their honored student(s) are invited to this breakfast to celebrate. Pastries, fruit, juice, and coffee are being provided by the EPMS PTSA and our wonderful business partner, Roswell Town Center Chick-fil-A, is graciously donating chicken biscuits.
The Next Titan Advantage -1/26
The Titan Advantage program will serve as an academic workshop open to all students regardless of level. Teachers have issued permission slips to students directly through their WINN classes. If you would like for your child to participate, please contact your child's WINN teacher or bring them to the workshop and complete a permission slip.
Titan Advantage is from 9 am to 12 noon. Here are the dates for 2019:
- Jan 26th
- Feb 2nd, 9th, 23rd
- Mar 2nd, 9th, 16th 23rd
This enrichment opportunity offered on Saturdays, free of charge. All students are invited to maximize or remediate in the content mastery areas which are assessed on GA Milestones (ELA, Math, Science, Social Studies). To fuel students through two, one-hour blocks of uninterrupted instruction, students are treated to a hot breakfast, snack, and pizza. National Honor Society, high school students, are brought in to help tutor students 1-on-1. The academic sessions are taught by dedicated expert staff members committed to student success for all Titans!
Scoliosis Training - 1/30...Scoliosis Screening - 2/20
Attention Elkins Pointe Parents: WE NEED VOLUNTEERS for the Scoliosis Screening event on Friday, February 20th, from 12 noon - 3:30 pm. Volunteers must be Scoliosis Screening Trained. FCS will provide training on Jan. 30th and the Screening will be on Feb. 20th.
This is a really important event because between the ages of 11-14 is the prime period of identification for scoliosis of the spine, and early detection and early treatment is the key to reversing scoliosis so it is not a life-long problem. Can we count on you to help Elkins Pointe MS with this event?
- Jan. 30 - Scoliosis Volunteer Training @ North Learning Center @ 10AM - 11:30AM (*20 Screeners Needed)
- Feb. 20 - Scoliosis Screening of 6th-grade & 8th-grade @ Elkins Pointe MS @ 12-4 PM
If you can sign up as a volunteer, we will feed you lunch, snacks, and coffee on the day of the screening. For those that were certified through training last year, you do not have to retake the training course.
For those that are new to scoliosis screening, or have not been re-certified in the last 2 years, you will be required to attend the training session on January 30th from 9 AM - 11 AM at the North Learning Center, in Sandy Springs. Please, direct questions to Jennifer Rodman: email@example.com.
EPMS Spirit Night @ Dos Margarita's - 2/22
International Night Performers Wanted! -3/21
Our EPMS International Night is fast approaching on Thursday, March 21 from 6-8 PM. This is one of the biggest and most successful event for us and our community. We are in need of performers and talented individuals (teachers, students, parents and professionals) to show and share their talent. We are calling actors, singers, dancers, jugglers, ventriloquists, pianists, drummers, guitarists, cheerleaders, etc. We would love for you to share your abilities with us during the International Night. Please email Monsieur Mendy at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to perform.
Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week
Teacher & Staff Appreciation Week is coming up in March! If you would like to help purchase items for our teachers and staff, please click on the Link: http://a.co/aMy2gAo
THINGS FOR STUDENTS @ EPMS
Coding Club @ EPMS - 1/29
There will be a new coding club starting at EPMS. It will be run by the coder school from East Cobb The club will meet on Tuesday afternoons from 4:15-5:15 starting Jan 29. This is an amazing opportunity for students 6-8! It's super convenient that they are coming right into the building AND the school is funding 20 spots. We hope to have participation from all of the grade levels.
Parents can fill out an application for their child at http://bit.ly/epmscoderclub
Multicultural Club - 1/31
The first meeting of the MultiCultural Club will be on Jan. 31st after school. The sponsors Mr. Roberto Contreras-Murillo and Mrs. Vani Jacob. The objective is to create a deeper understanding of different cultures, to celebrate diversity and to promote acceptance and tolerance of all.
This club promotes teamwork. Students who participate in a socially diverse environment show tolerance towards their peers which results in better teamwork in the classrooms.
- To provide opportunities for students to interact with different cultures.
- To encourage students to learn about a foreign country and its culture.
- To engage students in action and present their knowledge of a new culture during International Night.
- To promote acceptance of diversity and respect for each other.
Flag Club & Spirit Squad Coming Soon!
PTSA Student Meeting - Save the Date! - 2/11
Let your voice be heard!
The next student PTSA meeting is Feb 11 from 8-8:30 in the Media Center
Join us for doughnuts and brainstorming on how we can make the rest of 2019 the best year at EPMS ever!
Volunteer Opportunity for Students - 2/22
Hembree Springs Family Dance is requesting middle school volunteers. They are asking for middle school students to come and help with their "The Dot" themed family dance! Hembree Springs wants to say, "Those of you that helped last year were amazing!" Please come help again on Friday, Feb. 22nd.
Click on the link to Sign Up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c054fadad2faafd0-family2
FOR 8th GRADE PARENTS
RISING 9TH GRADE PARENT NIGHTS @ ROSWELL HIGH SCHOOL
ROSWELL HIGH SCHOOL
LOCATION: Roswell High School Auditorium
11595 King Road, Roswell, GA 30075
ROSWELL HIGH SCHOOL HONORS, AP, & DUAL ENROLLMENT NIGHT
Date: Thursday, February 21, 2019
Time: 6:30 pm in the evening
Place: Main Gym of Roswell High School
Who: Parents and rising 9th-grade students
The Organizer is Roswell High School.
Please check the Roswell High School website to make sure there are no changes.
RISING 9th GRADE PARENT NIGHTS @ MILTON HIGH SCHOOL
MILTON HIGH SCHOOL
RISING 9TH GRADE EVENTS FOR STUDENTS AND PARENTS
LOCATION: Milton High School School Auditorium
13025 Birmingham Hwy, Milton, GA 30004
MILTON HIGH SCHOOL DUAL ENROLLMENT NIGHT
Date: Thursday, January 31, 2019
Time: 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
Place: Milton High School Auditorium
Who: Parents and rising 9th grade students
MILTON HIGH SCHOOL RISING 9th GRADE PARENT NIGHT
Date: Thursday, February 7, 2019
Time: 6:30 pm to 8:30 pm
Place: Milton High School Auditorium
Who: Parents and rising 9th grade students
The Organizer is Milton High School.
Please check the Milton website to make sure there are no changes.
THINGS FOR PARENTS
Parent University @ MHS - 2/27
Save the Date for the Teen Summit - March 2019
Upcoming in February 2019...
- 2/4 - Girl's basketball Practice @ 4:30p to 5:30p (GYM)
- 2/5 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05p to 5:30p (Media Center)
- 2/5 - Orchestra PreLGPE Concert @ 7:00p to 8:30p (Gym)
- 2/6 - Drama Club @ 4:15 – 5:15 pm ﴾E‐111)
- 2/6 - BASKETBALL: Crabapple vs. Elkins Pointe ‐ HOME Location: Gym @ 5:30 pm
- 2/7 - 8th Graders Visit Milton High School Rising Freshmen Location: Milton High School ﴾13025 Birmingham Hwy, Alpharetta, GA 30004, United States﴿
- 2/7 - FCA @ 7:45 am (Media Center)
- 2/7 - Student Council @ 8 am (E‐106)
- 2/7 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05p to 5:30p Location: Media Center
- 2/ 7 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Ingram﴿
- 2/7 - Boy's Basketball Practice Location: GYM @ 4:30p to 5:30p
- 2/7 - MILTON HIGH SCHOOL ‐ Rising 9th Grade Parent Night. Hosted by: Milton High School. Time: 6:30 PM ‐ 8:30 PM Location: Milton High School, 13025 Birmingham Hwy, Milton, Georgia 30004, Who: Parents of students rising to 9th grade @ MHS and rising 9th grade students.
- 2/8 - Interact Meeting @ 7:45a to 8:15a Location: E‐114
- 2/8 - SGC Meeting @ 7:45a to 8:15a Location: Teacher's Lunchroom
- 2/8 - PTSA Gen Mtg @ 9 am in Cafeteria @ 9:00a to 9:30a Location: Cafeteria
- 2/8 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Newman﴿ meet in Atrium except when raining
- 2/8 - BASKETBALL: EPMS vs. Taylor Road ‐ AWAY Location: Taylor Road Middle School ﴾5150 Taylor Rd, Alpharetta, GA, United States﴿ @ 5:30p
- 2/11 - PTSA Student Member Meeting @ 8:00a to 8:30a Location: Media Center
- 2/11 - Girl's Basketball Practice Location: GYM @ 4:30p to 5:30p
- 2/12 -2/14 - Orchestra ‐LGPE Dates ‐ TENTATIVE
- 2/12 - Hampton Film Academy Location: Media Center @ 4:05p to 5:30p
- 2/12 - Boy's Basketball Practice Location: GYM @ 4:30p to 5:30p
- 2/13 - SCOLIOSIS FORMS DISTRIBUTED via WINN TEACHER MAILBOXES (Opt‐Out forms returned by 2/18)
- 2/13 - Jr. Beta @ 8:00a to 8:30a Location: Media Center (White)
- 2/13 - Katha Stuart Mtg @ 9:30 am ‐ RNES
- 2/13 - Drama Club @ 4:15 – 5:15 pm ﴾E‐111﴿
- 2/13 - BASKETBALL: EPMS vs. River Trail ‐ AWAY GAME Location: River Trail Middle School ﴾10795 Rogers Cir, Duluth, GA, United States﴿ 5:30p
- 2/13 - Chorus pre LPGE concert Location: GYM @ 6:30p to 7:30p
- 2/14 - FCA @ 7:45 am in the Media Center
- 2/14 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Ingram﴿
- 2/15 - SCHOOL CLOSED - FCS HOLIDAY
- 2/18 - PRESIDENTS' DAY: NO SCHOOL FOR STAFF/STUDENTS Location: SCHOOL CLOSED
- 2/19 - NO SCHOOL - ELKINS POINTE FULL RELEASE DAY
- 2/20 - Milton/Roswell High School Freshman Visit
- 2/20 - Scoliosis Screening Location: PE Locker Rooms (6th & 8th Grade) SignUpGenius: hps://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0548a4a822a64‐scoliosis5 SPINE ALERT ‐ SCOLIOSIS SCREENING DAY ‐ February 20, 2019. Volunteers (20) are needed. All 6th‐grade & 8th‐grade students will be screened for scoliosis. Every year at the screening, students are identified for the first me, and this is why this is so IMPORTANT! SCOLIOSIS CHAIR: Jennifer Rodman at email@example.com
- 2/20 - Drama Club @ 4:15 – 5:15 pm ﴾E‐111﴿ @ 4:15p to 5:15p
- 2/20 - BASKETBALL: EPMS vs. Northwestern ‐ AWAY GAME Location: Northwestern Middle School ﴾12805 Birmingham Hwy, Alpharetta, GA, United States﴿ 5:30p
- 2/21 - FCA Meeting @ 7:45a to 8:30a Location: Media Center
- 2/21 - Student Council (Location: E‐106) @ 8:00a to 8:30a
- 2/21 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05p to 5:30p Location: Media Center
- 2/21 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Ingram﴿
- 2/21 - Boy's Basketball Practice Location: GYM @ 4:30p to 5:30p
- 2/21 - ROSWELL HIGH SCHOOL Honors, AP & Dual Enrollment Information Night @ 6:30 pm. Where? RHS Main Gym. Wh? Rising 9th-grade parents and students
- 2/22 - Hoops and Kicks for Heart Location: GYM (All Day)
- 2/22 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Newman﴿ Location: meet in Atrium except when raining
- 2/22 - BASKETBALL: Holcomb Bridge vs. Elkins Pointe ‐ HOME GAME Location: Gym ‐ Elkins Pointe @ 5:30 pm
- 2/25 to 3/1 - RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS WEEK
- 2/26 to 2/28 - SHINING STARS
- 2 /26 - Film Academy @ 4:05 - 5: 30 pm in the media center
- 2/27 - Drama Club @ 4:15 – 5:15 pm ﴾E‐111﴿
- 2/28 to 3/2 All-State Band Location: Athens GA/Wilson
- 2/28 - FCA @ 7:45a to 8:30a Location: Media Center
- 2/28 - Hampton Film Academy @ 4:05 – 5:30 in the media center
- 2/28 - Running Club @ 4:15 ‐ 5:15 pm ﴾Ingram﴿ Location: meet in Atrium