Eastside: One Team, One Dream
"We never lose. We either win or we learn. - Nelson Mandela
Week of March 16th
Our mission is to build a strong educational foundation while meeting the unique needs of our students.
Working in partnership with the community, Eastside Elementary will provide all students:
A collaborative team of professionals who are committed to improve their practices, so that all students learn at high levels
A safe, positive, and inviting learning environment
An engaging and challenging curriculum focused on essential academics and life skills
Individualized and timely support that provides students with what they need to succeed
Be aware of the importance of each day!
- 15 important practices until K-2 Summative MAP (THE BIG GAME April 13-17)
- 20 important practices until 3rd-4th Summative ACT (THE BIG GAME - April 20 - 22)
- 25 important practices until 5th Summative ACT (THE BIG GAME - April 27-29)
We Made the Paper!!!
I have heard from several of you that have loved the accountability piece that this brings. For the month of March, you will not have any big requirements with Hattie but I encourage you to keep using them because they are research based and effective for student growth!
The only "fun" we will have with Hattie in March is that you will receive a shamrock to post outside your door. You can write the Hattie strategy you are focusing on. If you would like to post the work from that strategy by the shamrock or a picture of your kids doing that activity that will be great. You could keep the same strategy all month if you want to really master it. You could even put your name on the BRING IT ON BOARD for your colleagues to come see it in action. This provides more freedom. If you are using a Hattie strategy during a certain week in March, you will place it in your lesson plans labeled HATTIE'S LUCK!
Hattie's Corner: Student Ownership with Differentiation (new website to check out)
In researching a question from Ms. Dather about the Thinking hats, I found a website with 6 good tools for differentiation. A lot of these hit some of the things we have been using with Hattie and some are new. Feel free to check it out! The learning menus is something that I loved to do as a teacher. I can send you some templates of those.
Details for the Week
SO SO PROUD OF ALL OF YOU PUTTING YOURSELF OUT THERE ON THE BRING IT ON BOARD!!! Everyone try to find a time to go see one of these in actions. Remember you will only provide feedback if they have the form out with the pom pom beside it! Click this link for the Bring It On board. Bring It On Board March 9-13 Things that teachers have asked to see are assessments in block, 2 stars and a wish, microteach, and student ownership.
Make sure you are using every minute with your students. A few of you have emailed me during instruction time. This is not okay and I have addressed it with those that have. If it is something urgent, you need to intercom the office.
Our Groupme will only be used after school hours from now on. I know when you send something you are on your prep, lunch, or break, but those receiving the messages are not and this can be a distraction to the learning. A few people have had to send something this past week, but that was with my permission.
Make sure if you are in a room to assist a teacher with interventions that you are doing just that and not visiting with the adult in the room. I have addressed those that I have seen this happen in. You are in the room to help kids! If you have questions about this, please see me personally.
Know that I am never too busy to visit with you. If you need to speak with me, please let me know and we will schedule a time to sit down and visit.
SIT, DIBELS, and MAP PM INFO:
SIT comments will be for 4th and 5th grade
DIBELS PM will be for 3-5.
MAP PM will be grades 3, 4, and 5.
- Book Fair begins
- Mrs. Bailey will be with us
- 6 High School Interns will be joining some teachers today to stay the whole day and see how Eastside works!
- ACT Aspire Interim makeups begin. Mrs. Krogman will be pulling them to the computer lab this morning and Tuesday morning. Small group testing will be made up by Mrs. Henney and Mrs. Reed.
- Send home new reading passages on Monday. Make sure you have emailed Mrs. Patty the list of those kids that completed their reading passage this past week so she can get their prize to them.
- 5th grade Parent Bash Meeting at 5:30 in the cafeteria
- Mrs. Bailey will be with us.
- Math and Wellness Night at 6:00 PM
- School Board meeting 6:00 PM (rescheduled from last week)
- ACT Aspire Interim makeups begin. Mrs. Krogman will be pulling them to the computer lab Tuesday morning. Small group testing will be made up by Mrs. Henney and Mrs. Reed.
- SIT meets
- School Board Meeting 6:00 PM
- Team Meeting Day: see agenda that you all created at the end of last week's meeting. 3-5 will meet in content teams. We will begin to work on ACT Aspire reflections so you will have about half the time to create your new CFA and half the time to start looking at data.
- Gravette Principal visits team meetings
- Guiding Coalition meets at 3:10
- End of Third Nine Weeks
- PTO meeting 3:40
- Club Day 7:50 - 8:20
- Awards Assembly
- Teacher tailgate hosted by 4th grade parents/PTO
- Recess meetings - more information to come
Important Dates (Refer to EES 2019- 20 Calendar shared by Mrs. Krogman)
April 2nd - Quiz Bowl at Westside
April 3rd - all report card information should be entered by this date
April 5th- Arts Fest at the Fine Arts Center 1:00 - 4:00 PM
April 6th - Report cards sent home
April 24th - Teacher Tailgate hosted by 5th grade and PTO
Thursday, April 2nd is Autism Awareness Day. A Google Form offering the purchase of a t-shirt to support Autism Awareness was shared last week. If you decide to purchase a t-shirt, you may wear them with jeans on April 2nd.
A Very Special Talent Show will be hosted in Greenbrier on April 25th for students with special needs from central and North Central Arkansas. Sign up to help: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yNjYirCv1TTiX9YNUx41KlRosUkkQmvvKnKvgbBnf00/edit?ts=5d89f3dc#gid=0
MARK YOUR CALENDARS! EASTSIDE BUILDING RETREAT AUGUST 5th - 6th
Words to Live By This Month
Character Word of the Month = Adversity
COMPUTER SCIENCE WORD = Function