Working with Words
4th Grade Lessons and Stations
October 26, 2015
Vocabulary and Spelling
4.2A determine the meaning of Latin, Greek, or other linguistic roots and affixes (RS)
4.2B context of the sentence to determine meaning of unfamiliar words or multiple meaning words (RS)
4.2E use a dictionary or glossary to determine the meanings, syllabication, and pronunciation of unknown words (RS)
Vocabulary for 2 weeks
Spelling for 2 weeks
- Spelling is specific to the TEKS in 4th grade
- Open Word Sorts
- Closed Word Sorts
Ask students different questions to consider when working with these words:
1. Why did you sort these words this way?
2. What was the reason you organized these words this way?
3. What other ways can you organize these words?
4. How are these words related?
5. Are there other connections with vocabulary you see when you look at these words?
6. Do these words have root words or affixes?
7. Which words are nouns, predicates, adjectives, adverbs?
Teachers use this to model problem-solving reading strategies such as:
- Visual Cues
- Sight and/or Speaking Vocabulary
- Prediction Skills
- Cross-Checking Skills
- Language Structure Cues
- Background Knowledge to predict unknown words
What are affixes?
Anchor Charts for the Week
Word Wall Words
Connections / Assessments:
- Divide & Conquer
- Breaking Words Apart
- Odd Word Out
- Combine & Create
- Read and Reason
- Solving Riddles
- Many More