The First 25 Days of School
For ELAR: Establishing Routines & Relationships
Learn how to plan and implement Reading & Writing Workshop at the beginning of the school year!
- Balanced Literacy
- Establishing Literacy Routines
- Building Relationship Ideas and Activities
- Teaching Growth Mindset
- Setting Personal Learning Goals and Action Plans
- Quick Assessments to Determine Strengths and Areas for Growth
- How to Set Up Your Classroom for Maximum Learning
- Organizing the Daily Schedule to Include Plenty of Practice Time
- Literacy-based Strategy Walls
- Choice Boards for Independent Work
- Differentiated Practices for Homework
- Reader's and Writer's Workshop formats
- Literacy Centers Vs. Stations Vs. Daily 5
- Response to Intervention and Instruction Activities for Tier 1,2, and 3
- Vocabulary Activities
- Fluency Strategies
- Reader's and Writer's Notebooks
- Spelling and Word Work Journals
- Increasing Student Achievement
- Learning Scales for Assessment
- Advancing the complexity of learning for ALL students
Goal For This Seminar
- Identify ways to build a learning community and establish positive relationships with your new students
- Explore unobtrusive assessments to determine knowledge, skills, strategies, and processes
- Begin the year by teaching students about growth mindset, setting goals, and creating their own action plan
- Organize daily work routines to actively engage your students in practicing and developing English Language Arts
- Develop and system to balance independent learning with small group and individual instruction
- Investigate tech-savvy ideas and resources perfect for rigorous reading and writing
- Explore an array of ideas for supporting your students as they strengthen their comprehension, fluency, vocabulary, and writing
Presented by Kelly Harmon
Kelly Harmon is a national presenter who has more than 24 years of experience working with at-risk students. She presents on a wide range of topics including RTI, technology, and reading, writing, and strategies for highly effective teachers. She works as an instructional coach for schools and districts across the United States. She also works with the Bureau of Education and Research, as well as Learning Sciences Marzano Center.
The First 25 Days of School for ELAR: Establishing Routines & Relationships
Tuesday, Aug. 2nd, 8:30am
1655 North Central Expressway
Location is at the Holiday Inn Richardson
8:00am- Registration Begins
8:30am-11:45am- Morning Session
1:00pm-3:30pm- Afternoon Session
6 Hours of Professional Development will be awarded
Bring your own device
Wifi will be provided
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
$195 per participant
Administrators attend for FREE with registration of 3 or more teachers!
**10% discount for groups booking 3 or more! ($175 Per Person)
You can register by Faxing, Calling, or Emailing your registration form in.
Purchase Orders are accepted.
Please Make Checks or Purchase Orders out to Kelly Harmon & Associates
Call (817) 583-1290
Fax (972) 369-7327
For more Information please contact us today!
Other Workshop Offerings in Dallas!
We offer all of our workshops as onsite trainings! Contact us for more information!
Check Out Kelly Harmon's New Book!
Kelly Harmon & Robert Marzano teamed up to write Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes. The book is part of the Essentials for Achieving Rigor Series.
Practicing Skills, Strategies, & Processes: Classroom Techniques to Help Students Develop Proficiency explores explicit techniques for mastering this crucial strategy of instructional practice. It includes:
- Explicit steps for implementation
- Recommendations for monitoring students’ ability to develop fluent thinking
- Adaptations for students who struggle, have special needs, or excel in learning
- Examples and non-examples from classroom practice
- Common mistakes and ways to avoid them