August 20, 2021
Building a Better Tomorrow, Together!
We hope you had a wonderful first week back at school. On behalf of the entire JES staff, thank you for sharing your children with us this school year. It was a privilege to welcome them back to school; it's going to be a great year!
We rely on our family community for your support, and right now we really need your cooperation during our arrival and dismissal. Please read the below message about transportation so that we can make sure our mornings and afternoons are smooth and safe.
Dr. Rene' Moses
Arrival and Dismissal Help Needed
- We have approximately 660 students that we are trying to get home safely.
- Our arrival and dismissal procedures are brand new to all of Kindergarten as well as many of our students who have been virtual since last school year. They will get faster.
- Our children just move slower in inclimate weather, so do expect for it to take a little bit longer when it is raining.
- Many of our car riders will soon be bus riders as we typically have more car riders during the half-days week. You also have the option of purchasing a bus pass if waiting in the car line is not a good situation for your family.
- Our procedures are not meant to frustrate you or make your mornings or afternoons complicated. However, we have these procedures for a reason, and they are for your child's safety. Please abide by them or expect to be corrected by a staff member. If you have questions or concerns about a specific procedure, please call the Assistant Principal, Nicole Williams, at 817-949-4500. Saying unkind words to staff doesn't help the situation.
Here are the issues we are having:
- Procedure avoidance - If you are a car rider, please use the car line. Do not use the walkers area or the front parking lot to bypass the car line. This congests our parking lot and our walkers area, creating a safety concern for our walking children and daycare buses.
- Front parking lot in the AM - In the morning, the front parking lot is not available for drop-off. The doors are locked until 7:40 am, at which point your child will be counted tardy. Please use the car line.
- Checking out during dismissal - In the afternoon, if you need to check your child out from the front office after dismissal has already started, you will need to wait until dismissal is finished for us to retrieve your child. If you need to check your child out early, please do so by 2:30 pm (beginning next week).
- Independence - If your child has the ability to open and close their car door, please have them do so. We are spending a lot of time opening car doors for students; we are encouraging students to open their doors also, but children often rely on parent permission to do this. Please have this conversation with your child.
- Daycare - If you use a daycare, you are responsible for communicating to them about changes in transportation.
As always, thank you for your support of our school and understanding that everything we do is in the best interest of our children's safety, all 660 of them!
Arrival and Dismissal Tips
- These procedures also detail how to CHANGE your child's dismissal method.
Making Car Line Faster in the AM:
- Practice unbuckling and buckling so students can do this independently.
- Make sure your child is ready to hop out as soon as they pull up to the curb.
- Wait to put backpacks on until after the child is out of the car.
- Open car door independently.
- Only exit on the side closest to the curb.
- Car line closes at 7:40 am; at 7:40 am, please park your car and walk your child to the front office to sign in as tardy.
Making Car Line Faster in the PM:
- Display your car sign CLOSEST to the side of the name caller (the curb).
- Keep your car sign displayed until your child gets in your car.
- Praise your child for listening for his/her name and using fast feet to get out to the car! :)
- There will be three lanes in the afternoon to prevent a back-up to the frontage road on 114, and a police officer will help merge cars. It sounds complicated but if we all "zipper" then it goes quickly.
- Please only pick up your child from this area if you are actually walking or biking to school. This pick-up method is not for parents looking to bypass the car line; this is also where our daycare buses pick up and if we have cars parked to pick up a "walker," it congests the entire area. If you are in a hurry, you are welcome to check your child out early from school by 2:30 pm. Thank you so much for your cooperation!
- Parents of Walkers/Bike Riders: Please show your keycard to the staff on duty and they will bring your child to you.
Bus Passes & Car Signs
If you have not received your bus pass, please call the Transportation Department at 817-949-8333.
Display your car sign on the side closest to the caller and leave it up until your child has gotte into the car. Please make sure your car sign has the following:
- Last Name
- First Name(s)
- Grade Level
- Teacher (especially if in Kindergarten)
JES Traffic Flow Map
August 24: Curriculum Night for Kindergarten and 1st grade, 5:00 - 6:00 pm
September 2: Curriculum Night for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th grade: 5:00 - 6:00 pm
Childcare will be provided for currently enrolled JES students and is complimentary through our PTO.
School Lunch Starts Next Week!
Cafeteria Options: (3 options daily)
- Hot Plate Lunch
- Salad Meal or Bento Box Meal (rotating)
- Deli-Bag Lunch or Yogurt Combo Lunch (rotating)
We encourage all parents/students to prepay money into their lunch accounts:
- Online Payment through My School Bucks
- Cash/Check can be deposited in the lunch line at the point of sale. If you choose to drop cash off, please include your child's name and ID number.
You may refer your child (grades 1-4) for the Carroll ISD Gifted and Talented Program. The referral form is open at 8:00 a.m. on August 23 through September 3, 2021 and can be found on the Johnson Elementary school webpage. The deadline is September 3 at 8:00am.
The gifted program is called Quest at the elementary level. It is an interdisciplinary program where students are encouraged to make connections and view the world in a more global manner. Students in grades 1-3 will test in small groups during school hours in September and October. All 4th grade students will complete testing in their homeroom classes in October. Students must meet Phase I Cognitive Abilities Test (CogAT) criteria in order to move forward to the Phase II portion of the screening process. Phase II involves the Iowa Assessments Achievement Test. For more information about the Quest program, you can visit the Carroll ISD Gifted and Talented webpage. I am happy to answer any questions regarding the testing process and GT program. I can be reached at Allyson.Dickinson@southlakecarroll.edu
or 817-949-4500. ~ Mrs. Allyson Dickinson, Quest Teacher.
A Message from the PTO
Welcome Back to School JES Parents! We have an amazing community here and the Parent Teacher Organization (PTO) is proud to support our students, teachers, school staff, and families. If you did not register for PTO during your Annual Student Verification, please take a moment to complete the PTO registration for the 2021-2022 school year. We are a non-profit organization and your dues will be used for the JES kindness program, teacher wishlist items, classroom celebrations, teacher appreciation, and so much more.
Please also mark your calendars for these upcoming PTO events:
- September 10-19 – Online Auction
- October 22 – Fall Picnic
- October 29 – Tailgate
We’ve attached a flyer for a quick reference on ways to stay connected throughout the year and a QR code to register today. No additional commitment is required. If you want to volunteer, we want to hear from you; please complete the volunteer form on our website. We appreciate your support and partnership! If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
JES Dad's Club
The JES Dad’s Club is back and is making it easy to stay in touch this year. It is always great to see the Dads helping with the carpool line! This is just one of the many examples on how you can get involved. Sign up today to receive reminders and more information by texting JESDADS to 866-516-0824 or scan below.
If you choose to bring in your own store-bought birthday treat, it must follow Carroll ISD Nut-Free Policy and be approved by the front office. Call if you are unsure.