A sexually transmitted diesease.
What cause this/How does a chil acquire it?
There are two major causes of STDs.
- Bacteria including chlamydia, gonorrhea, and syphilis.
- Viruses including HIV/AIDS, herpes simplex virus, human papillomavirus, yeasts and protozoan parasites, such as Trichomonas vaginalis,or insects such as crab lice or scabies mites, causes STDs .
- An STD can be spread through sexual intercourse.
- Ejaculation does not have to occur to pass an STD to another person.
- Sharing needles used for drugs or body piercings and tattoos can pass on some infections such as HIV.
- Mothers can pass on a disease to their baby/infant during the pregnancy, during the delivery, or after the pregnancy, during breastfeeding.
Can STDS be prevented ?
Ways to prevent an STD:
- Use a condom
- Reduce number of sex partners
- Get vaccinated ( Recommended for teen girls and women through the age 26 and teen boys and men through age 21)
- Mutual Monogamy (agreeing to only have sex with one person who also agreed to only have sex with you), this is the most reliable way to avoid an STD.