WHES NEWSLETTER May 3-7, 2021
Dear Westport Community,
Link to WHES Newsletter: https://www.smore.com/q6rxd
It is Teacher Appreciation Week! We cannot thank them enough! Our STARS - our Westport teachers, educators, instructors - no term fully captures the essence of all teachers do in their role of inspiring the best in our children - have earned this week!
If you are looking for ways to honor and celebrate our wonderful Westport teachers look no further! Continue reading below!
Let's make this week a great week for your child's teacher! They help your child to shine!
- NO Monday Morning assembly at 9am time slot. Moving forward, the assemblies will be on Monday afternoon AT 2:15 PM on Mondays.
- Teacher Appreciation Week: May 3rd - 7th, 2021
- UPDATE: Mobile Unit came to Westport Today to administer COVID-19 tests for students and staff at Westport. We apologize for the short turn-around. We will have tests on certain Mondays. We will confirm when we receive more information from the district.
- Westport has an Amazon connect phone line since December 2020 to assist with remote office work. There is a voicemail attached which we do not have access to check. Please do not leave a message on this voicemail system as the school will not receive any messages from it.
DAILY EVENTS OF THE WEEK:
MONDAY 05/3/21 -
- 2:15pm - 2:30pm School-Wide Assembly at NEW time - Please join us to continue to build community among all at our school. 4th ang 5th Grade Student Success Ceremony will be held during this time.
- 2:05 pm - 3pm PD TOPICS: Crisis Team Refresher for staff PD; Attendance Protocols & PSA Introduction (staggered start times for teachers); School reopening Updates/Feedback; Eddy Awards Link
- 2:15pm - 3pm PD TOPICS: Crisis Team Refresher for staff PD; Attendance Protocols & PSA Introduction (staggered start times for teachers); School reopening Updates/Feedback; Eddy Awards Link
- 2:30pm - 3pm PD TOPICS: Crisis Team Refresher for staff PD; Attendance Protocols & PSA Introduction (staggered start times for teachers); School reopening Feedback/Updates; Eddy Awards Link; SBAC Tests
- NO FACULTY MEETING FOR THIS MONDAY.
- TEACHER APPRECIATION SUGGESTION: Be a Superfan! Write your teacher a note, poem, or letter and send it to them today!
TUESDAY 05/4/21 -
- 11:45am - 12:30pm 5th Grade Lunch Bunch (NEW TIME) w/Mrs. Blanca and Ms. Stark
- 1:30pm - Principal Unavailable
- TEACHER APPRECIATION SUGGESTION: Draw a starry picture for your teacher superstar!
WEDNESDAY 05/5/21 -
- TEACHER APPRECIATION SUGGESTION: Wear you condor blue and gift them a blue item! That would be blue"berry" nice! Link to help you create: https://www.skiptomylou.org/berry-themed-teacher-appreciation-gift-ideas-2/
- TEACHER APPRECIATION SUGGESTION: Send your super teacher a gift card by email or send to the school! Link to help you create: https://www.giftcards.com/gcgf/most-popular-gift-ideas-for-teacher-appreciation-week
FRIDAY 05/7/21 -
- 11:45 am - 12:30 am - 5th Grade Lunch Bunch (NEW TIME) Mr. Marin and Mrs. Blanca
- 12: 30 pm or 2:30pm Chat with Principal Meeting - TOPIC: LRP Meeting = Parents of EL Students discuss progress of their children in the English Learner Program (Parents of Long Term EL and Potential Long Term EL Meeting)
- TEACHER APPRECIATION SUGGESTION: That's a wrap! Finish out with fresh flowers or draw flowers and send a final thank you note with it! Link to help you create: digitally for FREE: https://www.800florals.com/virtual-flowers/ delivery of real https://www.1800flowers.com/teacherday or just stop by your local store
UPCOMING WEEK: (May 10, 2021 - May 14, 2021)
- Monday 5/10/21 - 2:15pm - 2:30pm Monday Morning Assembly; PD TOPICS: EQUITY or UCLA CGI (TBD) (staggered start times for teachers)
- Wednesday 5/111/21 - Crisis Team Meeting
- Thursday, 5/13/21 - LAX Coastal Teacher Eddy Awards: Congratulations, Mrs. Ann Bishay, for being honored with this year and being chosen by your teacher colleagues!
- WEEK OF MAY 17th - 21st: Classified Appreciation! Let's celebrate our wonderful Westport Custodians, Cafeteria, Special Ed Assistants, Supervision, and other staff! You may do something on your own or join the activity planned by the Booster Club for parent ideas and suggestions!
Students who have been English Learners for over 4 years are potential Long Term English Learners. The EL designee (the principal) needs to meet with you individually to discuss possible resources and strategies for home.
Ideas for Celebrating
CLICK HERE AND BELOW. There is something to do each day of the week - to show that your child's teacher is a real star!
CLICK HERE There are FREE templates for flyers, thank you cards and kits, and other creative ideas for you to help your family to thank your child's teacher - Including printables in English and Spanish.
CLICK HERE! This blog has some really fun ideas for theme celebrations for your teachers.
Words of appreciation and empowerment
In this episode of Snack-Size PD, the YouTube professional learning series for teachers hosted by Smore's Resident Educator, we hear from a guy we call Teacher-Appreciator-in-Chief!
And what's a celebration without music and food?!
Here are some national teacher appreciation food offer freebies and discounts!