Brookwood Elementary School - October 22, 2021
Mark Your Calendar:
- October 25 - Specials: K,1,4,5 - Day 4; 2-3 - Day 1
- October 26 - Specials: K,1,4,5 - Day 5; 2-3 - Day 2
- October 26 - Dogwood Pizza Night
- October 27 - Specials: K,1,4,5 - Day 6; 2-3 - Day 3
- October 28 - Specials: K,1,4,5 - Day 7; 2-3 - Day 4
- October 29 - Specials: K,1,4,5 - Day 8; 2-3 - Day 5
- October 29 - United Way Costume/Dress Up Day (see information below)
- November 1 - Culver's Share Night
- November 1 - Bidding for Good - Student Principal for the Day - auction ends
- November 9 - Digital Learning Day #3
- November 22 - 26 - Thanksgiving Break
Congratulations PTA Reflections Winners!
Digital Citizenship Week
You can also be a part of the effort to help our students become responsible digital citizens. Here are some resources:
- Check out these resources from Common Sense Media, including age-appropriate Family Conversations Packets on digital citizenship. Click the links to find age-appropriate conversation starters for grades K-2 (English, Spanish) and grades 3-5 (English, Spanish)
- Follow the GCPS Pinterest board for Digital Citizenship for a collection of cyber-savvy sites and resources broken down by topic and age on topics like Cyberbullying, your child’s Digital Footprint, Online Safety and Security, and Sensitive Topics such as sexting and peer pressure.
- Learn more about 12 Social Media Apps Every Parent Should Know, including TikTok, a popular social media platform that’s getting a lot of attention right now.
View Reading & Writing Communication Reports in the Parent Portal!
4th and 5th Grade - Here Comes Witzzle Pro!
Dear 4th and 5th Grade Students and Parents,
On Wednesday, October 27th, 2021, the BES Witzzle Pro™ math club will kick off its 2021-2022 season. The club is open to 4th and 5th graders who are up for some fun with numbers. Witzzle Pro is a witty puzzle containing a 3-by-3 array of digits. The game challenges you to manipulate the digits to form a target number. You won’t believe how much fun it is to use math facts, operations, and problem-solving strategies to play this fast-paced game.
Witzzle Pro meets every Wednesday morning from 7:45 until 8:20 AM. In the past, we have had a tournament with the other elementary schools in the cluster. We are still working on a plan for the cluster tournament. We have built a strong legacy in the world of Witzzle Pro. Let’s keep it going!
Students, if you wish to participate, please have a parent complete the Google Form using the link below. All students who plan to participate in Witzzle Pro, must know their multiplication and division facts with fluency. That means you can recall them quickly. There are no membership fees. Just bring a positive attitude and your brain! T-shirts will be available to order in the spring.
We are excited to begin another year of Witzzle Pro. Don’t know how to play? We’ll learn together during the first couple of practices. It’s where math and fun get together. Please join us ready and excited to play!
Colleen LaPerre & Brandy Fanning
Gifted Math Teachers
To sign up, please complete the linked Google Form by Tuesday, October 26th.
Student Council Cookie Grams
Students may purchase Cookie Grams in the morning in front of the media center or near the Colt Caboodle. All money raised will go to support Student Council and their projects to help Brookwood Elementary.
Brookwood Elementary Spelling Bee
You can begin helping your student prepare now using the School Spelling Bee Study List.
Costume/Dress Up Day
Brookwood Elementary will have a $2 Costume/Dress-up Day on Friday, October 29th to raise funds for United Way!
Come to school in your favorite costume and bring your $2 (two dollar) donation to join the fun.
No full-face masks or loose toy swords/weapons will be permitted.
We can't wait to see you!
Yearbook Now on Sale
Place your order TODAY to purchase this year's yearbook for the low price for $36.00. The price of the yearbook will increase on October 30th! (Credit card installment plan is available.)
Time is Running Out to Purchase a 5th Grade Ad!
Create and purchase your 5th grade ad between now and November 1st at the the Jostens website! This year we have two ad sizes to choose from: 1/4 Page - $30 and 1/8 Page - $20.
A MESSAGE FROM The BES HEALTH RESPONSE TEAM
Did you know that Brookwood ES has a Health Response Team (HRT) which manages and communicates COVID related information with staff, students and parents? The HRT gathers information, conducts contact investigations and communicates as needed. In the next few months, it is important that you continue to alert the school if your child develops symptoms or tests positive for the virus.
Common symptoms include:
Fever (100.4 or higher), Cough, Shortness of breath, muscle/body aches, headache, new loss of taste or smell, congestion/runny nose, nausea/vomiting, sore throat, fatigue
Brookwood ES HRT Members:
Brookwood ES: 770-736-4360
Brooke Ahlers: email@example.com
Bridget Fagan: firstname.lastname@example.org
Tiffany Pruitt: email@example.com
Debbie Taylor: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bidding for Good
- Student Principal for the Day - auction ends November 1, 2021
- Lunch with the Principal (1 of 2) - auction ends January 14, 2022
- Lunch with the Principal (2 of 2) - auction ends January 14, 2022
- Morning Announcements with the Principal for a Week - auction ends February 4, 2022