PALs Reading Corner
Reading with the Blowfish
The Blowfish Reading Rewards Program provides students with encouragement to become better students and better citizens through reading. Students have the opportunity to earn free tickets to a Blowfish game as a fun incentive to read and improve their study habits.
Here's what you need to do to participate:
Students need to read four grade level extra-curricular books during a four week period in the months of March-May to receive free admission and special recognition at an assigned Blowfish home game with other reading participants.
Each book they read earns them more prizes. Prizes include items like free tickets, free food, and more!
The school with the highest participation rate receives $500 for new library books and is presented their check on field during their designated game.
Help Oak Pointe and yourself to claim prizes and be recognized during the game!!
April is Poetry Month
Learn more about this author and see his poetry in motion at the Shel Silverstein website.
Where the Sidewalk Ends
A Poetic classic
"No Difference" by Shel Silverstein
Mrs. Durham's favorite poem
Poetry Websites for Everyone
Poetry Websites for Students and Parents:
1) Poetry as we see it: http://library.thinkquest.org/J0112392/index.html
(**Directions: Use this site to write down your poems for your poetry book)
2) Primary resources (A listing of sources to learn about different types of poetry)
(Click on the Poetry Features to see the Powerpoint to learn about different poems)
3) What’s in a Poem? (Learn the definitions and see examples)
4) A Powerpoint of every poetry form
Poetry Websites for teachers:
1) Poetry Teachers: Self-proclaimed #1 site for teachers
2) Compiled list of poets and poetry
3) Mongry Math - combines math and poetry
4) Poetry Splatter - use a computer to create funny poems for each age group.
5) Poetry books from LibraryThing
6) Collaborative poetry ideas for the media center and classroom teacher
7) Fern’s Poetry Club (For narrative, cinquin or other forms of poetry to enjoy!)