4th Grade Happenings: Week 31
Reagan Elementary - Leander Independent School District
Week of April 27 - May 1, 2015
WELCOME TO THE 4TH GRADE!
Karen & Stephanie
OUR CURRENT WEEK
- YES SCHOOL due to inclement weather day in March - but since we *would* have been sleeping in tomorrow, it's PJ DAY IN OUR TOWN!
- green specials day
- poster board sent home for Living History Museum - work on at home; due back to school on or before FRIDAY, May 8
- blue specials day - LaCombe library day - DON'T FORGET YOUR BOOKS!
- purple specials day - Beasley library day - DON'T FORGET YOUR BOOKS!
- last day to send in your plastic bags - bring them on! We want them!!
- red specials day
- Spell Check over List 25
- Schoolyard Ecology Vocab Quiz #1
- 2014-15 Reagan yearbook orders due (see ordering information at end of memo)
- 4th grade field trip - WEAR YOUR SURVIVOR ISLAND T-SHIRT!
What are we learning this week?
- informational text & author's purpose
- Sitton List 25
- plurals review (ponies, horses, fishes)
- The Art of Persuasion: Shark Tank
- begin fractured fairy tale writing project
- playground design project
- plant adaptations
- food chains & webs
- REQUIRED: work on Living Museum Famous Texan posters (due back to school on or before 5/8)
- RECOMMENDED: read 100 minutes/week (25 minutes/4 nights); may log on line
- OPTIONAL: iStation reading practice - differentiated assignments are in each student's account (free app available for iOS & Android devices; students have login info in binders)
- worksheet given out in class
- OPTIONAL: Spelling City word practice - List 25 (log in information on website)
- Spell Check 25 on Friday 4/30
- Schoolyard Ecology Vocab Quiz #1 on Thursday, April 30th
They sing! They dance! They make complete fools of themselves!!
Come see your 4th grade teaching team as you've never seen them before! One show only - Saturday, May 2 @ 11 at the Vista Ridge Performing Art Center. For tickets, visit the PTA eStore at http://reagan.my-pta.org/content.asp?PageID=7 .
GOT BAGS??? :: HEB Earth Day Contest :: UPDATE!
UPDATE: We've had over 500 bags come in this past week alone! We need over 500 more, though...please scour your pantries and car trunks and send in those helpful, but pesky, store bags...thanks!
Reagan Elem has agreed to participate with our local HEB in the HEB Earth Day Contest. We’re asking each grade to participate with collecting recyclable plastic bags in your classrooms until Wednesday, April 29th. The grade that collects the most recyclable plastic bags wins an activity day hosted on campus by HEB with healthy refreshments and drinks along with a visit from HEBuddy OR movie day passes for each student in the winning grade.
FAMOUS TEXAN RESEARCH PROJECT
& 4TH GRADE LIVING HISTORY MUSEUM
*** UPDATE ***
Famous Texan Research Project: UPDATE
Most students have completed their research and submitted their research outlines in Google Classroom as of this past Friday. Some overachievers have even begun composing the paragraphs they will perform for the upcoming Famous Texan Living History Museum in the MPR on May 11th. While students are welcome to work on their project at home, they are given time at school to complete the required elements. The exceptions to that are the poster and compiling the costume, which will all be completed at home. Thanks for your support - we've loved watching our students enjoy the learning process!
For the living museum on Monday, May 11th, each student will need to come to school with some sort of costume that represents the person s/he researched. Please do not purchase things for the costume; whatever you have on hand at home is absolutely fine.
A shortlist of remaining important dates is as follows:
- informational 1st person point of view paragraph due - Thursday 4/30 (assigned in Google Classroom last week)
- work on Google Slides presentations at school - Monday 4/27 - Thursday 4/30 (may work on at home as well using Google Classroom)
- Google Slides presentations due - Thursday 4/30
- Index Cards due - Monday 5/4
- In-class Google Slides presentations - Monday 5/4 - Friday 5/8
- Posters due back to school - on or before Friday 5/8
- Living History Museum - all day Monday 5/11; performance schedule to come next week
Please see the link below - there's tons of information to help keep you in the loop as to requirements, resources, and due dates! We hope to see you at the Famous Texan Living Museum on Monday, May 11th.
ON THE HORIZON - Upcoming Dates
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
The following dates, to the best of our knowledge at this time, are the dates for the 4th 9 weeks that will affect your 4th grader. Please make note of them on your personal calendars. We'd appreciate it if you could limit appointments and absences as much as possible on our state testing days (Math - 4/21 and Reading - 4/22)...thanks!
Please update your calendars accordingly. Dates are subject to change; we will do our best to keep this current. If there are any additions from the previous week's newsletter, they will be in italics.
- Reagan Faculty Follies - 11:00 at the Vista Ridge HS Performing Arts Center
- for tickets, visit the PTA eStore - see link below
- famous Texan index cards due (for more info, see link above)
Monday 5/4 - Friday 5/8
- Scholastic book fair in library
- famous Texan Google presentations in class
- Living Museum in the MPR: times TBD; see the link above for detailed info
- originally scheduled for Tues 5/12; moved to Monday 5/11 due to building conflict
- 4th & 5th Grade Track & Field meet at Ranger Stadium - more info to come
- NO SCHOOL - inclement weather make up day
- NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day Holiday
- 5th Grade Business Fair - during specials; tickets available that week for students that wish to purchase items. More information to come.
- School - wide Splash Day
- last day of school; end of 4th 9 Weeks - HAVE A GREAT SUMMER!!!
MISSING LIBRARY BOOKS
STAAR results are delivered at the discretion of the state; we have no control over when they come in. When we do receive them, we will send home each student's CSR (Confidential Student Report).
Due to the shift in the math TEKS this schoolyear, the Math STAAR is in its pilot year and scores will not be returned until the fall, as the state will be busy analyzing the data and adjusting the test for next year.
Karen & Stephanie