Sherman Anti-Trust Act
by Kristina Ludanova
What is it?
- trust - a combination of companies formed to limit competition by controlling the production and distribution of products or services
- the Act was the first measure that prohibited abusive monopolies/trusts
- passed in 1890
- result of public opposition of power being concentrated in a few large corporations
- largest opposition group was farmers, because it was expensive for them to transport their products on railroads
- based on the Constitutional power of Congress to regulate commerce
So how does this relate to sports?
- prevented abusive monopolies in sports
- however, baseball was exempt, because the court ruled that baseball didn't qualify as interstate commerce
Detailed Explanation of Monopolies and the Anti-Trust Act
Monopolies And Anti Trust Acts