What Is Natural Selection?
- many more offspring are produced than usually survive to reproduce
- considerable inheritable variations exist among organisms
- organisms are closely adapted to their environment
- many different species are very similar
- a variety of domestic breeds have been developed through careful selective breeding
So Wheres the Proof?
What is enterococci?
- Gram positive bacteria
- Native to the human intestinal tract
- Commonly affects immuno-defficient patients
- Can cause urinary tract infection, bacteraemia, endocarditis, pelvic/abdominal infection and wound infection
When did the resistant strain spread?
How exactly is vancomycin-resistant enterococci resistant?
Enterococci under a microscope
What is the mechanism for natural selection- therefore evolution?
What does natural selection mean to us? Heres an example
Briefing. (1997). BMJ, 314(7073), pp.3a-3a.
Hschub.com.au, (2016). HSC Hub | Changing the way we educate the next generation.. [online] Available at: http://www.hschub.com.au/video/2-3-Darwin-Wallace-Theory/879 [Accessed 21 Feb. 2016].
ScienceDaily, (2016). Antibiotic resistance. [online] Available at: https://www.sciencedaily.com/terms/antibiotic_resistance.htm [Accessed 21 Feb. 2016].
Wikipedia, (2016). Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus. [online] Available at: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vancomycin-resistant_Enterococcus [Accessed 21 Feb. 2016].
YouTube, (2016). Mechanisms of Antibiotic Resistance in Vancomycin-Resistance Enterococci. [online] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbtwNNe-lp4 [Accessed 21 Feb. 2016].