Jaguar Tracks for Families
November 17, 2020
From the Office of Mrs. Ippolito
Dear Joshua Eaton Families,
This week we welcomed back our Cohort A fourth and fifth graders. They have started their back to school experience so well. I know we are so happy to see the student's smiling faces.
Term 1 Report Cards will be going home through the portal on December 18th.
Just for family information, Term 2 is from December 7, 2020, until March 11, 2021, as it stands right now. Report cards will be sent home on March 26th.
Thank you so much to our families for following the safety guidelines! It is important for everyone to work together to help keep our students safe.
Thank you also to our families, especially the PTO, for providing the staff with treats for both cohorts, as well as, supplying K-cups for the staff lounge. Everyone very much appreciates it!!
Be well and stay safe!
Mrs. Ippolito, Principal
Change of Teaching Model Survey
As we near the end of the first marking period for elementary students, we are sending out this request form (see link below) to all Elementary parents/guardians if they would like to request that their child transition from either hybrid to remote OR from remote to hybrid. Please note that we will only be able to honor requests from remote to hybrid if there is space available in our classrooms due to our six-foot physical distancing requirements. We will honor requests in order of priority of student needs (high needs students would receive first priority).
This form should only be completed by parents who would like to change their child's instructional model from hybrid to fully remote OR from fully remote to hybrid. You do not need to complete this form if you would like to keep your child in the model that they are currently in. Please complete one form for each child in your family at the elementary level ONLY.
To be clear our hybrid model is Monday thru Thursday 8:10 - 2:45 and Friday remote 8:15 - 11:00 every other week using a Cohort A and B model. Any changes to a student's model will be communicated by the building principal. This change would occur on the first day of term 2, which is December 7th.
The deadline to complete this form is 4:00 p.m. on Friday, November 20th.
The link to the form is below. Thank you.
- Nov. 16th - Grade 4 & 5, Cohort A begins; Mrs. Tierney, Mr. Derosier, Mrs. Donlon
- Nov. 18th - PTO General Meeting Virtual
- Nov. 20th - No School - Parent Conferences
- Nov. 23rd - Grade 4 & 5, Cohort B begins; Mrs. Callan, Ms. Johnston
- Nov. 25th - 1/2 day 11:00 dismissal
- Nov. 26th - Happy Thanksgiving
- Nov. 27th - No School
- December 3rd - Term 1 ends
- December 7th - Term 2 begins
Direct Donation Drive Kickoff -
In this unusual school year, the Joshua Eaton PTO continues to be active behind the scenes looking for new and different ways to support our staff and students. We pride ourselves on fully supporting enrichment activities for our students and we'd love to be able to provide these experiences as they reopen.
In an effort to do so, we will need the help of our community. Although the PTO anticipates spending approx. $100 per child this year (see a detailed breakdown in attached donation form), given the circumstances, we propose a donation of $50 per student in order to maintain our ability to fund enrichment and teacher support. This is only a suggested amount, and we would be more than appreciative of any amount you are able to donate.
Donations can be made via PayPal, Venmo, check, or using the QR code on the donation form. Our direct donation drive will remain open all year - so please feel free to donate as you are able. Thank you for your support!
Our Annual Holiday Breads Event is On!
We're excited to be able to celebrate our teachers & staff through this JE tradition in this challenging year; thank you so much for your participation! We will be collecting quick bread the days before Thanksgiving for our amazing teachers and staff to bring home for the holiday. Please provide store-bought bread so ingredients are available.
Coolers will be outside in three locations for drop off all day Tuesday (11/24) and Wednesday morning (11/25); details are in the attached SignUp Genius.
PTO Meeting TOMORROW Night!
The PTO will be holding a general meeting this Wednesday, November 18th at 7 pm. All are invited and encouraged to attend! We'd love to share with you what we are working on and very much want to hear your ideas and suggestions! Please consider joining us virtually. We look forward to seeing you! https://readingpsma.zoom.us/j/85038306132
A New, Interactive PTO Forum
The PTO is offering a new platform to host PTO-related questions, answers, and discussions. Use this QR code or this link, to participate in an interactive Q&A with the PTO!
Final Call for Room Parent Volunteers!
If you're looking for a great way to support your child and his or her teacher this year please consider being a Room Parent. It's not a big-time commitment but it can make a big impact on your child's class.
We still need two room parents for the following classrooms:
We also need one additional room parent for the following classrooms:
Please use this link to volunteer: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScQQwjbofWs1HFF9P71QqVBLjLVW0N1q6egUwxfCLXPGW4k4g/viewform?vc=0&c=0&w=1&flr=0&usp=mail_form_link
Our aim is to have two room parents per class and also give parents with children in multiple classrooms their first choice (so if you know that you and someone else have applied for room parents for a class, and are confused as to why your teacher is still on the list, that is the reason).
There will be a Room Parent meeting over Zoom on Monday, November, 23rd. If you have any questions please contact Sue Audley at firstname.lastname@example.org
Joshua Eaton News
Theme of the Week: Compassion
Please feel free to share this read-aloud, Kindness is Cooler Mrs. Ruler. with your child(ren) at home!
MORNING DROP-OFF - Please read carefully for student safety!!!
MORNING TRAFFIC & PARKING at JE
Between 7:30 - 8:30 am:
- Oak Street is a right turn only between the hours of 7:30 am – 8:30 am. There is a right turn only sign at the bottom of Oak Street.
- There is a right-hand turn only out of the parking lot, however, the lot is only open to staff.
- Drop-off cars will be pulling into designated drop-off spaces on Summer Ave. in front of Joshua Eaton only coming from Summer Ave and Oak Street. OR if coming down Oak Street there are 4 drop-off spaces at a time. These are reserved for DROP & GO only. Parents, please pull all the way up to the farthest available space available.
Please be sure your children can exit the vehicle from the right side of the vehicle.
Parents who wish to walk with their children to their entrance door should find parking on nearby side streets. Everyone should be wearing a mask on school property to ensure everyone's safety and maintain social distance.
Our parking lot is closed between the hours of 8:05 -3:10, except for ½ day Kindergarten at 11:30. ∙ A special parking pass is required to use the faculty parking lot for those with a special need.
Our hope is that we can all work together to create a safe drop-off for our community and most of all, for our children.
Morning and Dismissal Procedures
PE Weekly challenge with Ms. Cucinotta
MASK UP READING!!
The town asks residents to:
· Wear a mask or face covering whenever you are not at home or in your personal vehicle.
· Maintain social distancing, at least 6' from others.
· Observe the State's Stay-at-Home Advisory from 10PM – 5AM.
· Review the latest CDC Guidance.
· Get a flu shot.
· Talk about Covid precautions with household members, neighbors, friends, and colleagues.
· Stay home when you are experiencing symptoms.
· Don't hesitate to get a COVID-19 test (click here for testing sites).
If you have any questions, please contact our local Board of Health.
Out of State Travel
- Out of State Travel- As we get closer to the holiday season, we want to remind families about the Department of Public Health guidelines for Out of State travel. The full guidelines are located at the link below.
In summary, the guidelines state the following:
- All visitors entering Massachusetts, including returning residents, who do not meet an exemption, are required to:
- Complete the Massachusetts Travel Form prior to arrival, unless you are visiting from a lower-risk state designated by the Department of Public Health.
- Quarantine for 14 days or produce a negative COVID-19 test result that has been administered up to 72-hours prior to your arrival in Massachusetts.
- If your COVID-19 test result has not been received prior to arrival, visitors, and residents must quarantine until they receive a negative test result.
- Please note that we will not be able to allow students or staff in person who have traveled out of state unless they submit a negative COVID test with 72 hours of return
Superintendent Virtual Office Hours
- Now that we have begun the school year, we will be restarting the Superintendent Virtual Office Hours. Office hours will be scheduled in 20 minutes blocks of time on Microsoft Teams. If you would like to schedule an office hour, please complete this link.
Office of Student Services
Special Education Support
If you have any questions about your student’s IEP or services please reach out to our building Team Chairperson, Shana Goldwyn at Shana.Goldwyn@reading.k12.ma.us
Details about the following SEPAC events, and more, were emailed to everyone on SEPAC’s confidential mailing list. Check your email for further details, or contact SEPACREADING@gmail.com to be added to our list.
- Presentation on Facilitated Team Meetings and Mediation Services
- Nov 17 - 7:00 PM
- Meeting link forthcoming
DESE Guidance about COVID-19 Compensatory Services
- COVID 19 Compensatory Services Family Fact Sheet
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Special Education Technical Assistance Advisory 2021-1: COVID-19 Compensatory Services and Recovery Support for Students with IEPs