How to Prevent Having a Stroke
Brody, Gr 11 Biology, Dakota Collegiate, Ms Schewczyk
Top 5 Prevention Tips
1. High Blood Pressure- To prevent having a stroke you want to have a low blood pressure. Hypertension is the most dangerous risk factor for stroke. So if you have high blood pressure you should ask you doctor for tips to lower it.
2. A Healthy Diet- Eating a healthy diet is one of the biggest factors for preventing strokes from happening. Tips for a diet would be: eating small portions, eating food with low amounts of salt, and try not to eat junk food that often and eat more fruits and vegetables.
3. Exercise- Try to exercise as often as you can, being in good physical shape can be very beneficial when it comes to preventing a stroke from occuring. This can be anything from vigorous activity to moderate activity such as going for jogs or walks.
4. Balanced Cholesterol- Having high amounts of LDL can cause cholesterol to build up in blood vessels which can lead to atherosclerosis which can lead to heart attacks and strokes.
5. Don't Smoke Cigarettes- Smoking has been linked to a build up of atherosclerosis in the carotid artery, which is the main artery in the neck that supplies blood to the brain. Blockage of this artery id the leading cause of stroke in americans.