June 10, 2016
Our Traditional Staff Farewell into Summer
Things to KNOW
- Mid-August Team Letters Mailed Home
- End-of-Summer Blast (Date to be determined)
- 8/26 - New to the District 7/8 Grade Orientation
- 8/29 - WEB Orientation for 6th Grade - 8am to 12pm
- 8/31 - First Day of School
Lead Learner Highlights
Here we are at the end of another school year. Your children are not the same ones who started at KP in August. I trust that you have seen them blossom in the area of health and wellness, reading, writing, mathematics, science, Spanish, French, art, social studies, music, technology and engineering, respect, responsibility and citizenship. Please enjoy the long summer break ahead. Encourage your child to read as much as possible and let them use their devices to post their reading selfie (see the summer reading link below). I want to thank our amazing staff for the care they have shown all year to help our students be successful as learners and young people. To our departing families, thank you for all of your support. For our returning families, we will see you in the fall.
Summer Office Hours
A Fond Farewell to Kathy Shoemaker
Staff Changes for 16-17
Steve Boyle, school counselor, will join the counseling staff at Bristow.
- Sarah Falvey, library media assistant, has served our students and championed literacy for 8 years. She will be an office paraprofessional at Duffy.
- Stefanie Fecteau, 6th grade Spanish teacher, will be teaching Morley and Braeburn students Spanish.
- Meg Johnson, school counselor, will join the counseling staff at Bristow after serving KP students and families for 10 years.
- Amy Ma, 6th grade Language Arts teacher, will be teaching at a local private school.
- Deb Newhouse has been a teacher at KP for 22 years serving students in a number of areas and began our Special Needs Program. Next year she will lead the special needs program at Sedgwick Middle School.
- Lauren Pouliot, our 6th grade General Music teacher, is moving to Colorado to share her knowledge of music in the mid-west.
- Cindy Rodriquez , one of our reading teachers, has been a teacher at KP and Hall for the past 12 years. She will move to Sedgwick.
- Jennifer Slifer, one of our reading teachers, will move on to be a literacy instructional coach for the district.
We want to thank the following staff members for the many ways they supported KP students this year and wish them best wishes as they move on from KP. Branden Steben, Nick Adler, Alison Passafiume, Carol Chase, Martha Calef, Riannon Mecchi, Colin Schlank and Nigel Rowe.
- Heather Gaunt who is joining us from Hall High School and will serve as the 6th grade language arts teacher on Topaz.
- Tiffany Fielding who will be our 6th grade technology and engineering teacher.
- Kathy Hayes and Rona Berkawitz who will join us from Sedgwick as our reading teachers.
- Jill Gengras and Laura Wilson who join us from Bristow as school counselors.
- Sasha Cordero who will support 6th grade KP Spanish students and will also teach world language at Bristow.
- Zhengjie Guo who will teach Chinese to KP and Bristow students.
- Alisha Garrity who will teach 7th grade social studies on the Opal Team.
School Supply Lists
6th Grade Common Supply List: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1429ZCF0IdG_anRbegMgBc-BkYrMW4YDACQojMiRtsMk
7th Grade Common Supply List: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1D6ua67Rr5YNbjSZtsr2Zsp8BjVnJCFKc9b95G_7eU9M
8th Grade Common Supply List: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gkZ2MRfmM2ZJRNx6OMhRN07_zANuVvodt0DYayBspLg
While these are general supply lists, a more comprehensive list will be sent with team placement letters in August. Thank you for your support.
Notes from the Nurse
We have sent all as needed medications home with students today, the last day of school.
ATTENTION parents/guardians of 6th to 7th graders:
We are still missing many physicals and immunizations. A reminder that a physical completed after 7/1/2014 and updated immunizations (Tdap and Menactra) must be in the nurse's office before your child can start school in August. A letter was sent home in April for all students that were non-compliant at that time.
IF we have received the information, thank you.
IF we have not received this information, please mail it to the school or drop it off in the main office over the summer.
IF we do not have it on the first day of school, we will be calling home and your child will not be able to attend school until completed.
If you have any questions, please call and leave a message at 860-929-5260. Thank you for a good year and have a nice summer.
Kathy Condon, RN
The Connecticut Breast Health Initiative is teaming up with California Pizza Kitchen to promote “Philanthropizza”, a great way to benefit the mission of CT Breast Health Initiative to support leading edge breast cancer research in Connecticut. You will need a California Pizza Kitchen "Philanthropizza" card each time you dine at the Westfarms Mall location. Twenty percent of your bill will be donated to the CT Breast Health Initiative! Please also enjoy all the great food California Pizza Kitchen has to offer.
Cards are available from Michelle at CT Breast Health Initiative at 860-827-7103 or firstname.lastname@example.org. You can request any number of cards, pass them out to your friends and family, and use each card multiple times until October 31, 2016 eating your favorite food while giving back to the CT Breast Health Initiative!
Thanks in advance for your support!
Parent/Caregiver Resources or Information
Students in Action
Center Streets will take place on 8/28 from 9am-noon. The town has agreed to close off a rectangular loop in WH Center to automobile traffic. During this time, residents are invited to take to the streets on bicycles, on foot or scooters. The event is free and will include some live music. The Chamber of Commerce hopes to encourage businesses in the center to open during the event and restaurants to sell food. Town police and DPW staff will be at the event to ensure safe conditions. For more information please click on the following link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B8VH2Eh7ZcftblNnemxaeTRZa29kdWlrbkNhSS02X3IxdUpj.