Raureka School Term 2 Week 2
Newsletter 12 May 2021
Kia ora koutou katoa, Talofa lava, Kia orana,
What a busy week last week with lots of exciting things happening.
Our tamariki were blown away with the fantastic performance on Wednesday, everyone I talked to absolutely loved it. see some of the photos below as well.
Our juniors started off with the scootering last week and they really enjoyed that, this week our Year 3-6's start their programme. I'm sure it too is going to be just as exciting as the scootering.
A huge thank you to Whaea Whitney and Miss Macaulay for organising our special assembly on Thursday to unveil our new Korowai and to get feedback for our Purakau (Our story). I was proud of the effort put in by both the kapa haka group and our leaders to ensure that we had a successful assembly. Thanks also to the whanau who came and supported this. Please see a few photos below.
You will be aware that we have been looking for a replacement for Mrs Henderson in Room 1. We are very privileged to have Whaea Jane with us for this term.
Our appointments panel advertised the position, shortlisted and interviewed a number of experienced teachers who wanted to take up this position and join us as from 26th July. I am very pleased to let you know that Mr Zach Severinsen will join us next term. Zach is currently teaching in the Wellington region. He is really looking forward to joining us and teaching in Room 1.
Unfortunately our renovations did not get started on Monday and Room 12 have now moved back to their room until the project starts. we hope that this gets underway very soon although it is realistically going to start in September.
This Saturday our Hockey Players start their season at Unison Park. The draw has been sent home with each player. The children should be at the Park at least 15 minutes before the game starts. Good luck to all of you, I know you will do well.
Please remember that classes start at 8:55 a.m. each day and all children should be at school, unless they are sick, ready to start then. When the children arrive on time they do not miss out on valuable learning time and they feel as though they haven't missed anything. Keep in mind too that when children arrive late it can be hard on their classmates as after an interruption - some children struggle to refocus on the lesson.
Please note that we will have a Teacher only Day in Term 3 on Friday 27th August and all of our COL schools will be attending- We will be working with Ngati Kahungngu and Professor Mere Berryman on Cultural Responsiveness.
Our four values are :
Respect/Whakaute, Responsibility/Haepapa, Resilience/Pakari, Relationships/Whanaungatanga.
This week we are focusing on -Haepapa/Responsibility - which means, look after yourself and those around you by being a committed, contributing member of society.
Expected behaviour for this week: walk responsibly with your class in a line.
Our value for Week 1 was ...
The following children received awards:
R1 Laylah Owen-Smith, R2 Harlyn Hema, R4 Joshua Shannon, R5 Sulianah Crichton, R7 Kisona Tonga-Malie, R8 , R11 Peyton Clarke, R12 Zach Anderson, R13 Zendaeya Wilkins-Chadwick, R14 Max Rumble, R15 Spencer Kingon, R19 Beautiful-Roze Jones, R20 Hazel Bartlett, R21 Kaylee Owen-Smith, ESOL Mason Olano.
Te Whawhewhawhe and Te Marama
Hello Room 19 - what have you got to share with us?
- Tues May 18 Senior Cycling
- Tues May 25 Senior Cycling
- Tues May 25- Ready for Raureka (In Room 12, 2:00-2:45)
- Mon 31 May- Thurs 3 June- Keeping Ourselves Safe
- Tues June 1 Senior Cycling
- Mon June 7 Queens Birthday- No School
- Tues June 8 Junior Scootering
- Tues June 8- Ready for Raureka (In Room 12, 2:00-2:45)
- Fri June 11- Disco
- Mon June 14 1:30 Duffy Theatre
- Mon June 14-Thurs 17- Keeping Ourselves Safe
- Tues June 15 Senior Cycling
- Mon June 21- Teacher Only Day- No School
- Tues June 22- Wed 23 Keeping Ourselves Safe
- Tues June 22- Ready for Raureka (In tRoom 12, 2:00-2:45)
- Thurs June 24- Leadership Day School Leaders
- Tues June 29 Senior Cycling
- Wed June 30 Matariki 5:00pm meet School Quad
- Mon July- 5, 3 Way Conferences - School closes 12:30- 6:30 first Conference 1:00
- Tues July 6, 3 Way Conferences first Conference 3:15-6:30
- Fri- July 9- Last day- Mufti Day
- Last Day Term 2 - Fri. - July 9 (School Closes at 2:55)
- First Day Term 3 - Mon. - July 26 (School Opens at 8:55)
- Fri 27 August Teacher Only Day- all COL- No School
- Last Day Term 3 - Fri. - October 1 (School Closes at 2.55)
- First Day Term 4 - Mon. - October 18 (School Opens at 8.55)
- Mon 22 Nov Teacher Only Day- No School
- Last Day of 2021 - Wed. Dec. 15 (School closes at 12.30)
· School Uniform – this is compulsory. No exceptions.
All children are required to have the school royal blue polo-shirt, royal blue hat, and on colder days the royal blue polar fleece jersey. All of these are available at the school office.
The lower half of the uniform (short, longs, skorts, skirts) must be plain black and can be purchased in town No stripes, no flowers etc, can
be purchased in town.
· Do your child’s records need updating?
- moved house?
- phone/cellphone numbers changed?
- living arrangements changed?
- emergency contacts changed?
- medical details?
We often have a few ‘bugs’ around the school.
· A common one is a nasty cough/flu type illness. Keep your children home if they have symptoms of this as it spreads easily.
· If your child has had vomiting or diarrhoea, they MUST stay home for 2 days after the last event. This illness definitely spreads quickly around the school.
· Headlice are always around so make sure that you check your child’s hair regularly (we suggest weekly) and treat the hair if necessary. We have treatments available from school for free. Just pop in and we can give you some.
· If your child is at all unwell, please keep them home so that they don’t pass bugs on to other children. Also if a child is feeling unwell they are not able to learn easily and are much better off at home snuggled up in bed.
Don’t forget to contact the school office to let us know when your child is unwell please.
Volunteers needed for supervision of our school patrollers. The children are well trained, it is just a matter of having an adult supervise from 8.30-9.00. We need help on the following days - Front Gate: Wednesday, Friday, Back Gate: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday.