Read Across the Planet 2016
Celebrate National Reading Month Around the World!
2016 READ ACROSS THE PLANET* Registration NOW OPEN!
Celebrate 15 years of Read Across the Planet!
Read Across the Planet is a celebration of NEA’s Read Across America. Classrooms use interactive video to connect with other classrooms “around the planet” and read to each other. The activity is sponsored by TWICE and Polycom, in cooperation with NEA.
TWICE provides the registration tool, matches classrooms with partners, and provides support documents. Participating classrooms are responsible for their own video connection and developing their own reading activities for the event.(Disclaimer: While we are using this name to be inclusive to our international friends, this name does NOT guarantee U.S. schools an international connection. They will be matched randomly as usual in this project.)
This activity is open to all K-12 students (ages 5-18) in public and private schools who have access to two-way interactive video equipment(IP H.323). There is NO CHARGE for this event.
Participate in English or special sections for Spanish, ESL or Special Ed. Classes in Spanish, ESL or Special Ed will receive a match with the same section, BUT MAY NOT be the same grade level.
Your class will be matched with a class from a different location and each class will exchange reading activities.
How to Participate
The activity is open to ALL elementary, middle school and high school students.
- Classes will be matched by TWICE with a class from a different location, and each class will exchange reading activities.
- Important: If instructors sign up to participate, they MUST commit to the event. Unless an extenuating circumstance occurs, it is very difficult finding a replacement partner for connections at the last minute.
Read Around the Planet Activity Timeline
- Registration Dates: December 1, 2015 – January 15, 2016.
- There are a limited number of connections available on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- In late January, TWICE matches classes
- Partner contact information is e-mailed to participating teachers on or before January 29, 2016 from TWICE.
- Events are then scheduled for connecting by the Genesee ISD Video Team, followed by video testing and confirmation.
- Classroom teachers do NOT need to test the connection prior to the day of the event.
- All connections will take place February 22-March 4, 2016.
Everything you may want to know to get students in your classroom ready to meet students just like them "across the planet!"
Current Genesee County Schools Registered for Read Across the Planet
- Bentley: Bahitte Elementary School (20 Students)
- Flint: Freeman Elementary School (60 students)
- Goodrich: Reid and Oaktree Elementary Schools (47 students)
- Grand Blanc: City School, Indian Hill Elementary, Mason Elementary, Myers Elementary (260 Students)
- LakeVille: Columbiaville Elementary (31 students)
- Swartz Creek: Syring Elementary: (60 students)
- Westwood Heights: Hamady Middle/High School (36 Students)
TOTAL NUMBER OF STUDENTS REGISTERED AS OF 1/20/16: 514 Students!
Sample Format for Connection/Presentations
- Each connection is scheduled for one hour
- 15 minutes for welcoming and introductions
- 30 minutes for the reading activity (15 mins. for each class)
- 15 minutes for exchanging information at the end about respective schools and communities, and to ask each other questions.
- Event connections will be in GenNET Interactive Television (ITV) classrooms at local district sites. However, a connection can be held at the Genesee ISD if an ITV room is not available on the date and time that has been scheduled.
Read Around the Planet Activity Ideas
- Performance of books as skits, plays, raps or songs!
- Student created illustrations of stories to go with oral presentations
- Dramatizations of favorite stories
- Student-created books
- "Battle of the Books”
- Plus many, many more!
After classrooms are matched, teachers will be sent a full information packet from TWICE, with contact information for classroom partners so planning can begin!
Share this flyer with other teachers at your school for maximum participation!