Laburnum Community Connection
Family Edition - September 13, 2020
The first week of school is in the books and things are off to a great start! Attendance has been excellent and students are engaged. Thank you for your support in ensuring that your student is prepared for school each day. Below we've listed a few reminders about virtual learning expectations.
- Be sure to identify a designated space where students will participate in class each day. The space should have all the necessary materials to participate in class such as pencils, notebooks, iPad/Chromebook and charger, and headphones. The area should include a place where your child can rest his/her notebook on a flat surface to write.
- Charge the device each night so it's ready to go the next morning.
- Students should utilize headphones and keep mic on mute to prevent sound disruptions.
- Please be mindful of the language being used in the background while your child is in class. We are receiving reports of inappropriate conversations being heard during instruction.
- If your child is attending a daycare or being watched by a family member be sure your child has access to his/her username and password.
- Discuss our R.O.A.R. expectations with your child frequently and what that looks like in a virtual setting. Students should actively listen during classroom discussions, mute microphone until directed to unmute, and only use the chat feature when directed by the teacher. The HCPS Code of Conduct still applies in the virtual setting. See below for our school wide behavioral expectations.
- R - Ready to Learn
- O - Own their Behavior
- A- Always Safe
- R- Respectful
- If you are having issues with accessing the link provided by your child's teacher, please email the teacher. You can also call the school for assistance.
Please take a moment to review this Virtual Learning Expectations document. Also, review the attached letter regarding the HCPS policy on recording lessons and visitors.
- September 18 - 3:30 PM - Join us at St. Luke's Village Apartment Complex to pick up a learning kit if you did not get one already. We will be located in front of the community building in the parking lot. This event is this upcoming Friday!!!
- September 22 at 8:00 PM - Cub Scout Interest Meeting via Zoom. See flyer below.
- September 24, 3 - 6 PM - Virtual Back to School Night - More details are forthcoming
- September 28 - School is Closed
- October 10th at 10:00 AM - Monthly Principal Chat - Each month I will host a discussion with parents to answer questions and hear your concerns & ideas. The link is below.
If you need to download the Microsoft Teams app on a personal computer use this link.
Click on the link below for directions on how to sign into Teams with the HCPS username and password.
Henrico Police Athletic League Full Day Program
Breakfast & Lunch
If you choose to come 7 AM - 9 AM, students will receive a hot breakfast and cold lunch for the same day. If you come 11:30 AM - 1:30 PM, students will receive a hot lunch and cold breakfast for the following morning.
The county is also providing meal distribution by bus.
- Mondays and Wednesdays: On Mondays, buses will distribute meals for Monday and Tuesday. On Wednesdays, breakfasts and lunches will be distributed for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, as well as Monday breakfast.
- Buses will make 30-minute stops at each location, between 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
- Laburnum has two stops:
Brookhill Road and Crenshaw Ave.
Delmont St. and Engleside Drive
PowerSchool and Back to School Forms
Families of students in all grade levels can complete those forms online by using the PowerSchool Parent Portal. Just follow these steps:
- Log on to your account in the PowerSchool Parent Portal.
Don’t have a parent portal account yet? Create one by going to the PowerSchool
section of this page: https://henricoschools.us/online-services/ and clicking on “ New
- Once logged in to PowerSchool, look for “Access Online Forms” on the left-hand side of the page.
- That will take you to “Rycor Online Forms” (part of a website known as “StudentQuickPay.com”)
- Find your student(s) name(s) as the top of the screen. Click on each name and carefully read then follow the instructions on the screen. Repeat this process for each student enrolled in HCPS.
Additionally, on your PowerSchool Parent Portal account you can now find your child’s log-in information for their device (iPad/Chromebook/laptop) as well as Clever. For elementary students this will include your child’s Username, Password, Email, Lunch ID, and Student Number. For middle/high school students this will include your child’s Username, Email, Lunch ID, and Student Number.
If you have not created your PowerSchool Parent Portal account or need to add an additional student to your account, please “Click Here” for step-by-step instructions. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on one of the choices in the image below.
If you encounter any issues with PowerSchool: Please email the help desk at email@example.com or call 804-328-5207. Para asistencia en español, llame al 804-527-4604.
If you encounter any issues with completing your forms: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Help may also be available by contacting your school with questions.
Resources for Families to Support Virtual Learning
- Laburnum Virtual Learning Website - During virtual learning, you can click on this website for information.
- Digital Learning Quick Guide
- Digital Learning Information for Elementary School Families
- HCPS Mission Forward 2020-21 Learning Plan: A Handbook for Families - A guide to help families understand and visualize what virtual learning will look like.
- HCPS Student Virtual Learning Support - This information is also linked to our Laburnum Virtual Learning website homepage
If you or someone you know needs to enroll a student, you will need to call to schedule a registration appointment. All registrations will be by appointment ONLY. The school number is (804) 228-2720.
Additionally, if you need to update your contact information such as address, phone number, or email, please call us to let us know.