Rugby 6th Grade Information
School Supplies, Orientation & Meet the Teacher, Dress Code
6th Grade School Supplies
- A zipper binder (preferred) or a 2 inch binder
- Pkg of loose-leaf notebook paper
- Pack of Pencils
- Colored Pencils
- Plain white t-shirt for tie dye project
- Pencil Pouch (3-ring binder style)
- Box of tissue
- 1 pkg of 3 x 3 post-it notes
- Headphones/earbuds (non- bluetooth)
- Wireless mouse
Label supplies with student's name
*The exact number of binders, additional notebooks, and other supplies is team dependent. That information will be given out at the beginning of the school year when the students meet their teachers.
"Meet the Teacher": THURSDAY, AUGUST 23rd
Activities available during "Meet the Teacher":
- Drop-in and meet your teacher (Note: This is a very brief drop-in meeting. An Open House will be scheduled after the school year has started.)
- Obtain bus information
- Purchase a required Rugby PE Uniform ($10 shirt/ $10 short)
- Purchase Rugby Spirit wear (ex. shirts, hoodies, magnets)
- Put money on your child's lunch account
- Meet our school nurse and obtain information on medication
6th Grade Orientation: FRIDAY, AUGUST 24th 8:00-2:00pm
All rising 6th graders are invited to a special day of orientation where they will be assigned to an 8th grade "Navigator" (mentor) who will lead them in activities designed to help them become more familiar with becoming a successful middle schooler!
6th Grade Orientation Schedule:
8:00-8:30 Arrival and registration for the day in the gym. Parents drop child off.
9:00-2:00 Session topics/Activities: tour, practice opening locks, lunch procedures, reading schedules, expectations, friendships and class expectations, media procedures, and introduction to PE
- A pizza lunch will be provided for all students on this day.
2:00 Students are dismissed. Parents pick up their child in the car rider line.
Don't forget our school dress code as you go back-to-school shopping!
- Shorts, skirts and dresses must extend to the width of 2 playing cards above your knee.
- Form fitting clothes (ex. leggings, yoga pants) are not to be worn as standalone garments.
- Holes and/or cuts in clothing will not be allowed above the knee.
- Shirts and tops must be long enough to be tucked in and cannot be revealing from being too low-cut. Tank top sleeves must be at least 3 inches wide.
More dress code expectations can be found in our school handbook.
We look forward to having you part of our Rugby family!
We are very excited to help your child be successful and have a smooth transition into middle school. As we move through the sixth grade year together, please know that we are available as a resource for information, for discussing your concerns, or for just listening and empathizing since adolescence can be a confusing time for parents as well.
We look forward to meeting you, and particularly, getting to know your child.
Rugby School Counselors
Have a question over the summer?
Michael Gates is our 6th grade Assistant Principal and you are welcome to contact him about any concerns you might have leading up to Orientation.