News from Room 15
Monday, November 4, 2013
November Writer's Notebook Challenge--Family Participation Encouraged!
Our November Writer's Notebook Challenge gives students a chance to step back and reflect on what they are grateful for in those who support them at home: you! As part of the challenge, they will be planning and writing thank you notes to their family which will be displayed in the hallway for conferences.
The challenge does have a family component as well: I would like to invite you to write a note back to your student, so that they also know what you are grateful for in them.
The assignment is designed to be brief--each note is limited to half a page. The primary goal is to give all of us a chance to step back and share our gratitudes. A secondary goal is to teach friendly letter formatting and comma formats for dates, greetings, and closings.
I hope you all will join us in this special project, which will become a part of each student's notebook after conferences.
Please let me know if you are interested/available for either of these events. Both will take place in the afternoon. Any support will be greatly appreciated and will help enrich the experience for the students!
Grammar Test on Friday
Students will take a grammar test on Friday. It will include the following skills:
- Writing and identifying types of sentences (declarative, imperative, interrogative, exclamatory).
- Dividing passages into paragraphs.
- Punctuating dialogue
- Proper Nouns
- Commas in dates and between a city and state
Math Quiz This Friday
- measuring angles
- drawing angles
- identifying angles as acute, obtuse, straight, right, or reflex
- identifying and drawing equilateral, isosceles, and scalene triangles
- identifying congruent shapes
- identifying and drawing conclusions about adjacent and vertical (opposite) angles
- Review skill: place value to from the hundred millions to the thousandths and rounding to specified place values.
Online vocabulary study aids are accessible in the assignment section of our website.