Bid Department Bulletin
Running Wild with Ted James
The guys also went sturgeon fishing in the Columbia River, located east of Portland. While on the charter, Ted and his friends reeled in a 350-400 pound fish that was nine feet long! The charter guide estimated that the fish was around 70 years old. During their down time, Ted and his friends trespassed onto a natural hot spring and visited a couple of state parks. The picture below looks like it could be another ArtPrize entry!
Caught on Camera!
Around the World With Randi
(BDB): Tell us where you went on your recent trip
(RS): I went to Marrakech and Essaouria in Morocco and Lagos, Lisbon, and Sintra in Portugal
(BDB): What was your favorite part of the trip?
(RS): My favorite part was traveling with my best friend - my favorite location was Sintra because it was so lush and green. The castles and monasteries were gorgeous and I loved the feel and look of old world architecture and the history.
(BDB): What advice would you give someone looking to take a trip to Morocco and Portugal?
(RS): I would tell anyone looking to travel to Morocco that is is intense and beautiful at the same time - also it is very safe in Marrakech and Essaouria is worth the trip for the seafood. Portugal is a great country for a first time traveler abroad and it is a must to visit Sintra for the history and then one of the coastal towns in The Algrave for a few beach/relaxation days. One thing to not miss in The Algrave are the grottoes!
(BDB): Where will your next adventure be?
(RS): I'm heading to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico in January
Kids Food Basket Bag Decorating
KFB is holding their annual "brown bag decorating" campaign during September and October. There is a basket on the filling cabinet with markers and brown bags if you would like to participate!
Feel free to decorate as many bags as you would like, or take some home for your family to decorate. It was suggested that we decorate the lower half of the bag so when we fold the tops our beautiful art work isn't hidden. Decorated bags will be brought to KFB during the first volunteer opportunity on Thursday, 10/13 so please ensure all decorated bags are returned by then.
Getting ready for game day!
Justin putting the kids to work at the concession stand
Enjoying the last bit of summer!
The Market is Now Open!
Dates to Remember
HPS Appreciation Lunch
Thursday, Sep. 29th, 11am
2016 Annual Meeting
Saturday, Dec. 10th, 12am
303 Monroe Avenue Northwest
Grand Rapids, MI
The Gordon Food Service Annual Meeting will be here in just a few months! We’re looking forward to celebrating the year’s achievements with each other. This year the Home Office will have four separate departmental meetings vs. one large combined meeting.
Just For Fun
Feature Recipe - Award Winning Chili
Justin’s BBQ Chili (Ingredients For 12 Servings):
- 1 T. oil
- 1 1/2 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 5 cans (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- ¼ cup BBQ sauce
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup molasses
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 T. dry mustard
- 1 can (15 ¼ ounces) chili beans
- 1 cans (15 ½ ounces each) pinto beans, drained
- 1 can (15 ounces) great northern beans, drained
- 8 bacon strips (cooked)
- Sriracha to taste
- Heat oil in a large pan
- Add meat, onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook over medium high heat, stirring to break up meat, until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender (about 10 minutes).
- Stir in tomatoes, ketchup,BBQ sauce, brown sugar, molasses, Worcestershire and mustard; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes.
- Stir in chili, pinto, and great northern beans; cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes to blend flavors. If you would like some heat, add 3-4 teaspoons of Sriracha (it will get hotter as it sits/cooks).
- Serve with bacon, sour cream, chopped onions, and shredded cheddar cheese for garnishes.