The Shark Scoop
Naples Park Elementary Newsletter
A Note From The Principal
Dear NPE Families:
This last week of January has been a very busy and fun-filled one for everyone. We had such a great time during our “Celebrate Literacy Week, Florida!” Our Family Literacy/STEAM Night and the Book Fair were so much fun. I hope everyone got to check out the Media Center, Mrs. Serrano and Mrs. Sandy did such a wonderful job transforming it into a jungle. I took a few pictures and they are on our Facebook page, I invite you all to find NPE on Facebook and check them out.
If you have visited NPE lately you may have seen a few new faces. We would like to welcome the newest members of our Shark Family: Mrs. Griffin is our new Kindergarten Teacher, Mrs. Williams is our new Migrant/ESE Teacher, Ms. Joiner is our new First Grade Teacher and Mr. Zabala is our new Music Teacher. Please make sure you say if you see one of them around campus!
I would like to remind parents of a few things when dropping off students in the morning and picking up at the end of the day.
- Most importantly, no one should be on their cell phones on the NPE campus, especially once we start putting students into cars.
- In the morning, there is NO supervision for students until 7:45 unless you join School Aged Child Care. Please do not drop your children off before 7:45 AM.
- If you are arriving after 8:25 AM, you should walk your children into the front office to check them in.
- While exiting the car rider line, if you are in the left lane you must turn left and exit the campus in that direction. If you are in the right lane, you must turn right into the church parking lot. Please do not try to cross lines.
Spring is just around the corner and there will be many fun events that students and families can participate in. I have tried to list as many as I can in our calendar area below so you can plan ahead. I hope to see you all soon!
Again, thank you for all that you do to make Naples Park such a great place to learn!
Your Child’s Principal
EXITING CAR PICK-UP REMINDER
A Note from the Assistant Principal
Dear Shark Families,
Please see the state testing calendar below to mark the important dates for your child. Please make effort to have your child attend school on the days tests are being administered, and schedule doctor’s appointment on different days. We encourage students to feel confident during this time, and look at assessments as an opportunity to show everything they have learned this year. A good night’s rest and a healthy breakfast are always a great way to start the day before a test. Remember, every child may have breakfast in our cafe before school at no cost. If you have any questions regarding assessments, please don’t hesitate to call the office.
3rd Grade: Reading - April 1 & 2, Math - May 6 & 7
4th Grade: Writing – April 1, Reading – May 4 & 5, Math - May 11 & 12
5th Grade: Writing – April 1, Reading – May 4 & 5, Math - May 11 & 12, Science – May 18 & 19
Thank you for your continued support.
Naples Park Elementary
REMEMBER: NEW CELL PHONE LAW IS NOW IN EFFECT!
A new state law made texting while driving a primary offense as of July 1. ... The second part of the law takes that a step further, making it illegal to use a handheld cell phone while driving in a designated school crossing, school zone or active work zone area.
**Please remember this includes the drop off and pick up lines. We want to make sure all of our students and staff are safe when loading and unloading each day.
Tip for Parents from our Reading Coach
Simple Strategies for Creating Strong Readers
Without doubt, reading with children spells success for early literacy. Putting a few simple strategies into action will make a significant difference in helping children develop into good readers and writers.
Through reading aloud, providing print materials and promoting positive attitudes about reading and writing, you can have a powerful impact on children's literacy and learning.
- Invite a child to read with you every day.
- When reading a book where the print is large, point word by word as you read. This will help the child learn that reading goes from left to right and understand that the word he or she says is the word he or she sees.
- Read a child's favorite book over and over again.
- Read many stories with rhyming words and lines that repeat. Invite the child to join in on these parts. Point, word by word, as he or she reads along with you.
- Discuss new words. For example, "This big house is called a palace. Who do you think lives in a palace?"
- Stop and ask about the pictures and about what is happening in the story.
- Read from a variety of children's books, including fairy tales, songbooks, poems and information books.
Reading well is at the heart of all learning. A child who can't read well, can't learn. Help make a difference for a child.
News From the Media Center
Here are some Important Dates:
- STEAM Morning Activity, February 14th @ 7:45 in the Media Center
- Kids Heart Challenge, February 14-March 6, 2020
- Coffee at the Conservancy, (Free event)Saturday, February 15, 2020 8-10:30 AM
- NO SCHOOL-President's Day, Monday, February 17th
- SAC (School Advisory Council), February 18, 2020 3:15-3:45
- Student Led Conferences Week of February 24th
Grade K/1 – Tuesday
Grade 2/3 – Wednesday
Grade 4/5 - Thursday
- Early Dismissal, February 26, 2020 (students dismissed starting at 11:50 AM)
- Spring Pictures, Tuesday, March 3rd
- Wear your Favorite Hat to School Day (Cancer Fundraiser-$1), March 6, 2020 & Hat Parade at 2PM
- Make Your Heart GLOWstick Dance, Time for assembly TBD, March 6, 2020
- Spring Break, March 9, 2020-March 16, 2020
- SAC Meeting, Tuesday, March 24th @ 7:45 AM
- SAC Meeting, Tuesday, April 21st @ 7:45 AM
- 5th Grade Celebration, May 29th
3 R's Character Student of the Month
NPE Cafeteria 8:35 a.m. (parents invited)
- Kindness - February 28th
- Acceptance - March 27th
- Determination - April 24th
- Leadership - May 22nd
Early Release Days: (students dismissed starting at 11:50 AM)
- February 26, 2020
- May 29, 2020
- June 3, 2020
- HURRICANE PREPAREDNESS - Planning ahead and having a hurricane preparedness plan for your family is very important. Be Ready Florida offers a FREE library of hurricane preparedness and safety videos to help you and your family prepare for a storm.
- ALERT COLLIER EMERGENCY NOTIFICATION SYSTEM - Alert Collier is Collier County's new mass notification system. Enrolled residents can receive emergency alerts from Collier County Emergency Management via voice call, text, or e-mail. Click here to learn more and sign up.
- COLLIER COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT - The Bureau of Emergency Management offers helpful emergency preparedness information and resources on its website. Click here to access their resources.
Please update your contact Information NOW! We want to make sure your contact information is up to date so we can contact you in case of an emergency.