Poison and Kids

the dangers of poisoning and how to prevent it

Why are poisons harzardous?

Poisons are hazardous to children because children are curious and like to find out what things are by putting things in their mouths. They also like to imitate things that they see adults doing, like taking medication. If children eat of drink something poisonous they can get seriously sick or even die.

Examples of poison

How to reduce the risk for your child- srategies for safety

Store all poisonous products out of sight and reach of children, at least 1.5 metres off the ground in a lockable cupboard.

Ensure that medications and chemicals are stored in separate safe areas.

If medicines need to be kept in the fridge, use a small, portable, lockable container for them.

Use child resistant locks on cupboards containing poisons.

Always read instructions carefully and return all poisonous products- including medications- to their safe storage area immediately after use.

Don’t refer to medicines as ‘lollies’.

Leave chemicals and detergents in their original containers and make sure they are clearly labelled. Never transfer them to other containers (e.g. soft drink bottles).

Only fill the dishwasher with dishwashing powder just before you are about to put it on. Ensure the dishwasher door is kept closed to restrict children’s access.

Dispose of any unnecessary poisons and medications safely and as soon as possible.

Keep the Poisons Information Centre number, 13 11 26, near your home phone and in your mobile phone.

victorian poisons information centre

24 hours a day (Australia wide)