Weekly Memo of Washington Elementary- March 20, 2016
Patriot Principal Post
Celebrations and Appreciations:
- Thanks to Suzi for being principal for the day
- Thanks to Hope for her constant support of our tech needs
- Thanks to Howard, Kim and Jeff Hall for working on our WSIC needs
- Thanks to coordinated school health (Misty Keller) and Healthy Kingsport for our new water bottle filling station.
- Thanks to our substitutes. We have had several people out in the past few weeks and without them I don't know how we would have done it.
- Thanks to Amy Doran and Amy Ardire for their dedication to testing protocol and details.
- Thanks to SACC and WSIC who will each make presentations at the May board meeting to share with parents and leaders the great aspects of their programs
For Your Information:
The Tennessee STEM Innovation Summit will be held May 17-18, 2016 in Nashville, TN. Summit sessions are designed to provide attendees opportunities to interact with educational leaders and practitioners who are seeing success with integrating STEM practices in their classrooms and communities.
Pre-Kindergarten Screenings for the 2016-2017 school year will be held on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 between 8 a.m. - 4 p.m., located at the Kingsport Civic Auditorium. Screenings only and NOT registration.
Kindergarten Registration for the 2016-2017 school year will be held on Tuesday, March 22, 2016 from 7:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. at all KCS Elementary Schools.
Every year, the TDOE hosts an essay contest to honor talented teachers through student voices. This year’s contest celebrates how great teachers inspire their students daily with the prompt: "My teacher has inspired me to …" All Tennessee public school students in grades kindergarten through twelve are eligible to participate. The complexity of the essay will vary by age; K–2 students should record their thoughts on video. One winner will be selected from each of the following grade bands: K–2, 3–5, 6–8, and 9–12, and the winning students and honored teachers will be celebrated during Teacher Appreciation Week, May 2-6.
All submissions must be received by the Tennessee Department of Education office by 5 p.m. CDT on Friday, April 8. For contest details, click here.
Tomorrow's faculty meeting will be a tabletop exercise in handling emergency situations and threats to the school. It will be led by the Kingsport Police Department
Please remember that we will plan to score writing assessments as a team on Thursday during collaborative planning.
Please make time this week to view the posters in the conference room and leave your "I like", :"I wonder", and "I have" format.
Patriot Pals will be meeting to create the tutorial video for the comets on the playground.
Our Patriot Promise cards have reached nearly 900. We have set a tentative date of May 10 for our celebration. Students have helped brainstorm some great ideas and so far it seems all activities will allow students to rotate through stations (hopefully outside-like a mini field day). Each station will have an activity that matches a letter of the Patriot Promise.
During a recent principal meeting, the use of worksheets was discussed. In an effort to meet our goal to transform teaching and learning, you are asked to consider the rigor and learning that any worksheet provides. If we wish to teach 21st century skills of communication, innovation, creativity, collaboration, critical thinking,etc we must remember that coloring sheets and word searches among other low level worksheets will not help us reach our goals. I hope to work on this at a future faculty meeting. Remember, worksheets don't grow dendrites!
WEEK AT A GLANCE
- 5th grade field trip to ETSU
- Faculty Meeting-Tabletop Exercise with KPD
- LCF Celebration of Learning and Troupe Concert 2:00/LCF only at 6:00
- Patriot Pals @ 12:30 (bring their lunch with them)
- K registration in conference room -all day
- Literacy cohort
- Literacy collaboratives after school at Lincoln
- New teacher DNA meeting 3:00 in conference room
- LCE/LCD writing assessment scoring during planning (instead of Thursday)
- Jeans day with $5 donation to Stream Camp
- Thank you day for your flexibility during TNReady-Pizza and Salad provided
- Team collaboration-Heather and Amy to attend and we will score writing assessments
- Birthdays with the Principals
- No school! Spring Break begins!
Club time #3-April 4th @ 2:30
Wolf out partial day on 4th and 5th-legislative visit in Nashville with BOE member Susan Lodal
April 7th-Dr. Flora to meet with fifth grade teachers and students
Leadership team canceled for April 7th
Aubin (8), Mechelle W (9),Jan Russaw (15), Terea (19), Savannah Smith (19),Sherri (23), Lisa Marcello (28), Amy Duncan (29)
Faculty meetings for the remainder of the year:
April 11-Topic: Leader in Me site visit discussion.What are our next steps
April 25-Topic: Visioning work for GWES