Literacy Practices & Programs
A closer look at effective literacy programs and practices.
Explicit Vocabulary Instruction (2 types)
Vocabulary Instruction NEEDS to Take Place in ALL Content Areas!
- Dedicate time to explicit vocabulary instruction (connected to learning!).
- Provide repeated exposure to new words in multiple contexts.
- Give opportunities to use vocabulary in many ways- discussion, writing, and extended reading.
- Provide students with strategies to make them independent vocabulary learners.
- Support teachers in learning the types of words to select and teach.