Peirce School Family Newsletter
Dear Peirce Families & Friends,
I want to take this time to wish you and your families a very Happy New Year. We are looking forward to a productive 2016 with many great things to come as we continue implementation of our IB Primary Years Programme and continue to enhance our Middle Years Programme. See below for highlights from December:
- Peirce published its first IB Parent Newsletter, if you did not see it, make sure to check it out https://www.smore.com/app/pages/preview/jwx77
- Peirce Parents have been at it again by sponsoring a Holiday snack table for Peirce staff - the generosity and thoughtfulness of our parents is greatly appreciated.
- 6th-8th Grade students participated in our school Science Fair - congratulations to Rachel Nguyen, Natasha Gonzalez, Ayiana Newcombe and Ruth Lopez who have advanced to the Regional Science Fair! Also, a thank you to all of the parents who helped judge the event!
- 6th and 8th grade students continue their work with the Writer's Theater project, incorporating drama into their Literacy classes.
- K-5th grade students, Peirce Performers and Bollywood Dancers showcased their work with music and dance during our Winter Concert - it was an amazing show with a lot of talented young people!
- Our auditorium received an upgraded sound system - a huge thank you to Friends of Peirce for funding this!
- Friends of Peirce voted to approve $12,500 in technology purchases for the school!
- 6th-8th Grade students participated in a Pullitzer talk around the Circus Without Borders project.
- Ms. Zaimi held a focus group for members of the student council, students shared what they thought works well at Peirce and where they would like to see improvements.
- 7th-8th grade students participated in a week-long basketball tournament at Peirce, competing against other schools in CPS.
- Peirce Performers and Bollywood Dancers led by Ms. Thompson participated in the Alderman's 48th Ward Winter Program at Senn HS, this was a wonderful program as students from local schools were able to showcase their work in the arts.
- The Gus Giordano Dance School completed their work with our K-5th grade students in dance, with a 4th/5th grade performance at Senn HS before winter break. Ms. Moritz will be back on Monday, January 4th!
Happy New Year!
Go Fund Me - Fundraising for Technology!
Parent Informational Meetings
Assessment Informational SessionPlease join the Peirce Administration for an Assessment Informational Session which will discuss the middle of the year MAP test administered to students in 2nd-8th grades. Two sessions will be held on Tuesday, January 5th at 8am and 6pm in the Fieldhouse.
Sexual Health Education Informational Session
In February 2013, the Chicago Board of Education approved the Comprehensive Sexual Health Education Policy (CSHE). This policy is mandated district-wide in Kindergarten through eighth grades. Peirce will be implementing the CSHE curriculum during the third quarter of the school year. Each lesson is developmentally appropriate, medically accurate and emphasizes healthy decision-making. At the beginning of the third quarter, each parent/guardian will receive a notification letter regarding grade level specific content and a parental consent form.
There will be an informational session held on Tuesday, January 26th at 8am and 5pm in the gym. Please contact Mrs. Graney at email@example.com with any questions.
After School All Stars - No Classes
Winter Wear Drive
If you have new or used coats, hats, scarves, gloves, boots please consider donating them to Peirce, please wash any used donated items - we have students who are in need of these items - any remaining items will be donated.
As the weather begins to change, make sure that students are dressing appropriately for recess - we want all students to be outside as often as possible.
If you are not yet signed up for parent portal, please email Assistant Principal Nanavati at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn how to do so. All parents can use parent portal to monitor student attendance and grades.
If you have suggestions on ways to continue to support/improve Peirce, please share via the Suggestion Box, also found on the Peirce homepage.
Please share with families who may not be receiving the newsletter online that they can request access here, also found on the Peirce homepage.
4th-8th 5th & 6th Grade Basketball Tournament (4pm-7pm)
5th-7th Classroom Spelling Bees
5th 8am and 6pm Assessment Informational Sessions
8th Progress Reports Distributed
8th PAC Meeting, 8:15am, Fieldhouse
8th BAC Meeting, 9:00am, Fieldhouse
8th Small Group Parent Tour, 8:30am
12th Spelling Bee
13th Friends of Peirce, 6:00pm, Fieldhouse
14th 8am Coffee with the Principal, Fieldhouse
14th Student Assembly: Band of Steel, The Courage of Creativity
15th PSO Meeting, 8:00am, Fieldhouse
19th No School - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
21st LSC Meeting, 6:00pm, Gymnatorium
21st No After School All Stars Programs
26th 8th Grade Graduation Pictures
26th 8:00am and 5:00pm Comprehensive Sexual Health Education Policy Informational Session
4th End of 2nd quarter
4th International Dinner, 5:30pm
5th No School, Teacher Professional Development Day
10th Friends of Peirce Meeting, 6:00pm, Fieldhouse
11th Report Cards Distributed
11th PK-5th Grade Learning Celebrations
12th 6th-8th Learning Celebrations
12th PAC Meeting, 8:15am, Fieldhouse
12th BAC Meeting, 9:00am, Fieldhouse
15th No School - President's Day