Superintendent's Corner 😎🏫😎
Avoca School District 37
In this issue ...
- Institute Days November 25 & 26
- Important Issues on the Horizon
- 5Essentials Reminder
- Avoca in the News - Giving Back
November Staff Institute Schedules
- Social Emotional Learning
- Continuum of Services Evaluation (see below)
- Teacher Website Development
- Instructional Technology
- Strategic Action Plans (focus on Curriculum and SEL)
While our students and families get a much deserved day off, our staff continue to work hard to improve what we do and how we do it.
Important Issues on the Horizon
- First, a survey will go out to all parents regarding the Continuum of Services we provide our students. More than just Special Education, this survey will help us gather feedback as we work with external experts to evaluate our services and make recommendations for improvement. Be on the lookout for this important survey.
- Second, Transportation Fee Survey for 2020-21. After Thanksgiving, a brief survey will go out regarding Transportation Fees for 202-21 school year. The survey is designed to gather feedback about bus usage based on the fee recommendation for 2020-21 (made in February 2019). Currently, our transportation fees recoup only 20% of our transportation expenses, which is unsustainable in light of our ongoing budget deficit. Please respond to this survey when it comes out.
- Finally, in December the administration will present to the Board all of the raw feedback from our budget and finance meetings. We presented to over 50 staff members, and more than 25 parents & community members. That feedback will be presented, along with an Executive Summary. That will provide the foundation for budget recommendations for the 2020-21 school year. The District is currently on a State of Illinois required deficit reduction plan and must close its operating deficit.
These are all important issues and our goal is to be transparent so that we can gather meaningful feedback in order for the administration and Board to adopt approaches which empower the district to sustain it mission, vision, and goals.