Madison Bermejo Period 06
EFFECTIVE LISTENING SKILLS
How to show effective listening skills?
- Add input during pauses, but don't interrupt.
- Use positive facial expressions as well as hand gestures.
- Give advice, with positive tone.
- Avoid distractions, such as cell phones or books.
- Nodding shows you are active in the conversation while not saying anything.
- Maintain eye contact
- Ask questions
- Paraphrase, give a type of feedback
POOR LISTENING SKILLS
What are examples of poor listening skills?
- Pretend listening
- Using distractions while listening, such as phones.
- Self-centered listening.
- Spacing out/not giving eye contact
OBSTACLES FOR LISTENING
- Judging distracts from the central message
- Advising is giving advice based on our own experience.
- Probing is digging up information the speaker is not ready to speak about.