The Woodlands High School
Highlander Happenings August 21, 2020
STUDENTS MUST COMPLETE THE ATTENDANCE ASSIGNMENTS IN EACH RED OR GREEN DAY CLASS PERIOD TO BE COUNTED PRESENT. MAXIMUM OF 4 CLASSES PER DAY.
CAMPUS RAMP UP DAYS
- Students should not come to campus if they are ill. Students can log in online and complete the Daily Attendance assignment and work for the day for their classes.
- Students will be required to wear a mask unless it is a designated time period, such as lunch.
- We will follow the Red/Green Calendar. August 31, 2020, is a Green day.
- Students should screen shot their schedule from Student Access to use throughout the day.
- Students will be directed to move straight to their classes.
- We encourage students to bring a refillable water bottle, their own device, and supplies.
- Student IDs will be distributed prior to lunch on their Ramp Up day. Meal purchase is touch-less this year and students must have their IDs or a picture of it to scan. IDs from previous years will work.
- Restroom Use - students are expected to limit the number of students in the restrooms 2-3 at a time, depending on the size.
- Elevator Use - the elevator is reserved for access for those in need. There is a limit of 2 people in the elevator at a time.
CAMPUS GUIDELINES FOR REOPENING:
- Students will be required to wear face coverings at all times while on district transportation and at school. Students may remove their masks to eat lunch and while engaging in rigorous physical activities where a mask would not be appropriate.
- At 7:00 am, students will be released to move to their first class of the day. Teachers will be in their classrooms and available to receive students to ensure that students are supervised and alleviate crowding in hallways and common areas.
- As a mitigation measure to reduce the number of visitors and handling of multiple items, deliveries of food for students at lunch will no longer be received by the campus receptionists.
- Students should bring their lunch to school or purchase their lunch in the cafeteria. Students will need to present their student ID badge or a picture of it on their smart phone to be scanned as lunch payments will be touchless. If students pay cash at the register, no change will be given, but the change amount will be applied as a credit to the student's lunch account.
- As a mitigation strategy, access to water fountains will be limited. Students are encouraged to bring their personal refillable water bottle and access the touchless bottle filling stations at various locations on the senior campus. A bottle filling station will be installed in the near future at the 9th grade campus.
- To limit the number of touch-points for students, students are encouraged to bring their own electronic tables, chromebooks, etc. Students must abide by the CISD Acceptable Use Policy for electronic devices.
- Visitors to campus must make an appointment with the respective individuals prior to arrival. All conferences, must be prearranged prior to arrival. All visitors must complete a health screener questionnaire and sign into the campus at the receptionist desk.
- Parents will receive via email weekly a health screener/check in prompt for each of their children enrolled. Parents should complete the screener and check their students into school from the link on the email provided.
- At lunch students will need to socially distance themselves. As a result a limited number of students will be allowed to sit at a table. Additional tables will be set up in areas of the building during lunchtime. Students will be required to maintain the limited seating capacity per table at all times.
- Parents should report to the school nurse any situation in which their child tests positive for COVID-19. A minimum of 10 days isolation is necessary if a student receives a positive test result.
- When notification of a positive test result is received at the campus, CISD Health Services will reach out to the individual who tested positive, and will identify any close contacts.
- Close contacts of the individual who tested positive will be notified and will receive instructions on quarantine. Individuals who are a close contact, must quarantine for 14 days.
- Due to the elevated COVID-19 alert status, campus events are limited. Open house for the 2020-2021 school-year will be virtual. Parents and students will receive a link to the TWHS Virtual Open House website. Teachers and staff will have videos posted introducing themselves and providing information about the courses they teach.
Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year! Please take a moment to review the attendance procedures we feel will ensure a smooth, successful year.
All students began online virtual instruction on Wednesday August 12, 2020.
Attendance for students during the virtual instruction period from August 12th - September 4th will be taken per class daily. Students must complete the Daily Attendance assignment for each class according to the RED/GREEN Calendar. For students who fail to engage in virtual instruction, absences will accrue and all attendance policies will be in effect. Students must be in attendance at least 90% of the time that classes are in session.
During Virtual Learning, if a student is unable to log in and complete the Attendance assignments a parent should report the absence as normal.
To report an absence, please call:
9th Grade (832) 592-8025
10th Grade (936) 709-1233
11th Grade (936) 709-1234
12th Grade (936) 709-1236
A full explanation of policies concerning attendance can be found in the TWHS Student/Parent handbook. The Attendance Office staff will happily answer any questions and assist you with any attendance related concerns. Feel free to call the numbers above at any time. You may leave a message if you call outside of the 7:00 to 3:00 office hours.
All AP students need to make sure they have signed into their myap.collegeboard.org account and have enrolled in their AP class sections or exam only sections. Your teacher will give you the join code, so be sure to check with them if needed. For students that do NOT already have a College Board account, you will need to go to College Board to create one. Please make sure you only have ONE account, and you must use your legal name when you register. You can ask your AP teacher or Mrs. Spears (email@example.com) in grade level if you have any questions.
PROGRESS REPORT DATES:
Every three weeks updated progress reports will be available through Parent Access. Paper progress reports and report cards will only be distributed to students whose parent/guardian do not have Parent Access Accounts. Parents may access their student’s grades online via Parent Access through the CISD Webpage under the Parents/Students tab.
- Thursday September 3, 2020
- Thursday September 24, 2020
- Thursday October 15, 2020 (Report Card)
- Thursday November 5, 2020
- Thursday December 3, 2020
- Thursday January 6, 2020 (Report Card)
- Thursday January 28, 2021
- Thursday February 18, 2021
- Thursday March 24, 2021 (Report Card)
- Thursday April 15, 2021
- Thursday May 6, 2021
- Thursday May 28, 2021 (Report Card)
STUDENT PARKING UPDATE:
Any student assigned a parking spot in round one needs to visit the TWHS webstore at https://conroeisd.schoolcashonline.com/ to make their parking payment and upload copies of their valid Texas driver’s license and insurance card bearing their name. DRIVERS PERMITS ARE NOT ALLOWED. *PLEASE NOTE: PAYING THIS FEE DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOU WILL RECEIVE A PARKING SPOT. YOU MUST PROVIDE THE ITEMS BELOW AND HAVE NO OUTSTANDING FEES ON YOUR STUDENT ACCOUNT IN ORDER TO RECEIVE THE PARKING PERMIT. You will have until September 1st at 5 p.m. to make payment and provide all parking credentials OR you will be put on the wait list of Round 2. If any questions, please email Dennis Muehsler at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you were unable to pick up parking tags this week, the next available pick up date will be Tuesday, August 25, 2020, from 1 - 3 P.M. on the bus ramp by the tennis courts. Please see the TWHS Website under Parking Preparation for all the details.
Conroe ISD utilizes the School Messenger program to communicate to parents and guardians using email, phone and text messages. Parents and guardians must OPT-IN to receive text messages. If you would like to receive SMS (text message) notifications on your mobile device, please text "Y" to 67587.
Failure to opt-in could result in not receiving timely or emergency text messages from Conroe ISD or The Woodlands High School. For more information, please visithttps://www.conroeisd.net/department/communications/schoolmessenger/.
If you need to update your child's school record with new or additional parent/guardian contact information, please contact the respective campus registrar:
TWHS Main Campus - Greta Champion - email@example.com
TWHS 9th Grade Campus - Carolyn Czubinski - firstname.lastname@example.org
CONROE ISD ROAD MAP TO REOPENING:
CONROE ISD TECHNOLOGY HELP DESK
Beginning Thursday, August 13, curbside meals will no longer be free for all students. Breakfast and lunch meals will be available curbside for students to purchase or free to students who qualify.
- Families are asked to pick up/purchase meals for all of their children at the campus of their oldest child.
- Meals will be available curbside at all campuses on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 10 AM - 12 PM.
TWHS LOCATIONS FOR CURBSIDE MEAL PICK-UP
TWHS Senior Campus - 5000 Parking lot behind the Cafeteria
TWHS 9th Grade Campus - Front drive enter off of Branch Crossing Dr.
- Multiple meals will be distributed at a time.
- Tuesday: 2 breakfast meals/2 lunch meals
- Thursday: 3 breakfast meals/3 lunch meals
- A student meal card must be presented to scan and identify the student when meals are picked up.
- This card is located in Parent Access and can be printed on paper or presented electronically on a phone.
- Any change from a cash transaction will be applied to the student's meal account.
- Pre-payments can be made at www.myschoolbucks.com.
- Meal prices and the free and reduced meal application are available on the Child Nutrition website.
Questions? Please contact the Child Nutrition Department at (936) 709-8185.
Meal Prices for 20-21 School Year
Child Nutrition is encouraging parents to make payments on their student's account via www.myschoolbucks.com before meal service periods. This will allow students to move through the serving lines more quickly and limit the handling of monies. Menus are posted on the serving lines in the campus cafeteria, on the Child Nutrition website and are attached to the Collins website.
Full price student $1.50
Reduced price student $.30
Non-student meal and second meal $2.50
Full price student Lunch $3.00
Reduced price student Lunch $.40
Non-student meal and second meal $3.75
Families that have a need and qualify for free or reduced breakfast/lunch purchases must complete an application each year. Free and reduced applications will be processed online. The website to complete a free and reduced application is www.myschoolapps.com.
Please visit the CISD's Frequently Asked Questions site for a comprehensive list of questions and answers regarding the Road Map to Reopening and pertinent information for this school year.
Evening tutorials will be conducted virtually using Canvas started Aug. 18th and will continue throughout the school year. In-person evening tutorials will also be offered starting on Sept. 1st in the cafeteria. See your content teacher's Canvas Course. The schedule will be:
Mondays and Wednesdays
Tuesdays and Thursdays
TWHS SOCIAL MEDIA:
The Woodlands High School has both Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts for each campus. Please make sure you go to the official accounts, as there are several fake accounts on the internet. The official sites are:
www.facebook.com/TWHS9THCISD for the 9th Grade Campus
www.facebook.com/TheWoodlandsHSCISD for the Senior Campus
Twitter handles are @TWHSCISD for the Senior Campus. Twitter for the 9th Grade campus is @TWHS9THCISD.
Instagram handles: For the Senior campus - thewoodlandshs and for the 9th Grade Campus - twhs9thcisd.
TWHS STUDENT MEDIA:
There are several ways to stay connected to the happenings at TWHS - www.twhscaledonian.com is the student news publication. There's a Facebook account (friend TwhsCaledonian) and a Twitter account too - @twhscaledonian, and an Instagram account - twhscaledonian. While mostly dormant over the summer, news is about to pick up with the start of school. Have a story lead? Email email@example.com. While we strive for diversity in our staff and coverage, some stories we miss. Please help us share the great stories of our students, faculty and community.
For the first time, The Caledonian has an App! More details to follow in the next Highlander Happenings.
COLLEGE AND CAREER CENTER:
All Official Transcripts for Seniors must be requested through their Naviance account.
Seniors have received a virtual Senior Orientation showing them how to request transcripts and recommendation letters.
Seniors should also have access to a CCC Class of 2021 Canvas Course containing information and resources to help them with applications and post-secondary planning.
Students are required to wear a cloth mask/cloth face covering or non-medical grade mask while at school unless they provide a written medical exemption from a physician. Students whose families do not want their child to wear a cloth face mask/cloth face covering or non-medical grade mask for any reason other than a medical reason should select the Remote/Online Instruction option for their child.
If your child is returning to campus and will require daily, emergency, or as needed medication at school this year, parents are welcome to come and check that in to the clinic beginning on August 27th, between 7:30 and 2:00. Medications must be in the original container, unexpired, and we ask that no more than a 30-day supply is checked in at one time. There is a permission form that will need to be completed by a parent or guardian for each medication, and inhalers or any other emergency medications must be accompanied by an action plan or doctor's order. If your child will need a Seizure Action Plan, Asthma Action Plan. or Severe Allergy Action Plan, please email Mrs. Ansley at firstname.lastname@example.org to have those forms emailed to you.
NEW THIS YEAR: Doctor's orders are required for over the counter medications that could possibly mask the symptoms of COVID. Any medications used to treat symptoms consistent with COVID-19 such as cough, shortness of breath, headache, sore throat, and body aches will not be administered without a current healthcare provider’s note. This would include metered dose inhalers, cough and cold medications, acetaminophen, and ibuprofen. At this time, nebulized medications will not be administered during the school day. You can more find information in the CISD Roadmap to Reopening at https://www.conroeisd.net/roadmap-to-reopening/in-person-instruction/#health
First, the PTO would like to thank our volunteers that helped out with book distribution, safely, and interacted with the public. Great job everyone!
TWHS PTO Membership is open! This year TWHS PTO plans to use the majority of the Membership Drive funds to help our Main and 9th Grade Campus with PPE to keep our schools open and our Staff and Students healthy.
Please JOIN the TWHS PTO at the $20 level or more if you are able.
This fall the PTO will support faculty and staff with Snack Stations in break-rooms at the Main and 9th Grade campuses. Please join us in caring for the people who care for our children with an in-kind or financial contribution. If you would like to receive further details and/or be included on the staff appreciation mailing list, please email us at email@example.com or go to our website to join the PTO Staff Appreciation Committee.
Well, Orientation was a bit different this year. However, we are still here for you. You can order new and favorite merchandise on our spirit wear website.
This year your PTO introduced our Woodlands Mask and a Vintage TWHS t-shirt in military green. Check out our new shirt or simply replace the oldies but goodies.
HOW YOU CAN HELP SUPPORT YOUR TEACHERS:
Kroger Community Rewards Program
If you shop at Kroger, they will donate a portion of the sale to our PTO. See our website for the link, or check with Kroger the next time you are shopping.
Amazon will also donate the The Woodlands High School PTO. Go to smile.amazon.com.
Parents do you have an athlete in Club sports such as Lacrosse, Hockey, or Rugby this school year? If your athlete is in need of PE credit, please have them sign up in the Grade Level Office for our Club Sports Meeting that will be held in the LGI on September 16th during advisory. The application process and requirements to obtain PE credit will be discussed with your athlete. Applications are due on October 1st. Late entry or late applications will not be granted PE credit.
The Cadet Group Staff is working on plans for issuing uniforms, so be on the lookout for dates and procedures! The rest of the after-school activities will start up next week with Aerospace on Tuesday, August 25th; PT on Wednesday, August 26th; and Orienteering on Thursday, August 27th. Contact the team commanders for more information—Will Plutto for Aerospace, Jase Alling for PT, and Nick Verhelle for Orienteering. Your flight commander can put you in contact. Looking forward to seeing both familiar and fresh faces!
The Woodlands High School Scuba Club will hold its first meeting Monday, September 14th, at 3pm in the Senior Campus LGI. All students 9th through 12th are welcome, as well as any interested staff/faculty and parents. Returning members: we will plan on electing this year’s officers at the meeting so consider running for President, Vice President, or Secretary. Each meeting attended will get your name in the drawing for some nice prizes at the end of the school year! Join our Remind by texting @twhsscu to 81010, and visit our web site at twhsscuba.club (not .com!).
Student Council would like to welcome back our Highlanders. We know this year looks a little different right now but we hope it will get back to normal soon. Student Council is an organization open to anyone that has a desire to make a difference in our school and community. Meetings are held every other Monday 6:00 p.m. in TWHS Senior Campus cafeteria. We will be reaching out via this newsletter regarding the dates that our virtual meetings will begin. We are excited to begin this school year and look forward to using your ideas to better our campus and community. Be on the lookout for dates. Wishing you an amazing school year! If you have any questions about what Student Council is feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org (SR campus) -- email@example.com (FR campus) -- or visit our website -- www.twhsstuco.com
Future Business Leaders of America, will have its first meeting via Zoom on Wednesday, August 26, 2020 at 3:00 pm. If you are interested in learning more about business, networking with other business students, attending leadership events, participating in community service events, and competing in business related competitions, FBLA might be a good choice for you. Attend our first meeting by Zoom to learn more about the organization and the local chapter here at the Woodlands High School. Email Mrs. Filer at firstname.lastname@example.org to register for the meeting and get the details.
Hey Highlanders! TWHS Interact is starting back up and will be having our first virtual meeting of the school year on zoom this Monday, August 24th at 7:00pm. Anyone is welcome to come- we really encourage you to join us and are always excited about new members, especially freshmen! We are a club dedicated to serving our community and learning the power of Service Above Self. We have around 300 members every year so it is a great opportunity to both volunteer and meet others! The zoom link will be sent out through the Band app, which you can join here (for students) : https://band.us/n/a0a035x3k2h6Y For more information, check out our website at twhsinteract.org and follow us on instagram and snapchat @twhsinteract. If you have any questions email us at email@example.com!!
The Woodlands High School
The Conroe Independent School District (District) is an equal opportunity educational provider and employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in educational programs or activities that it operates or in employment matters. The District is required by Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Active of 1964, as amended, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, the Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act, as well as Board policy not to discriminate in such a manner.
For information about Title IX rights or Section 504/ADA rights, contact the Title IX Coordinator or the Section 504/ADA coordinator at 3205 W. Davis, Conroe, Texas 77304; (936) 709-7752.