Equality for Women
How did the Civil War, the Civil Rights Movement, and Vatican II affect women's lives over the years?
Significant Content of the Civil War
Civil War’s lasting effects include abolishing the institution of slavery in America and firmly redefining the United States as a single, indivisible nation rather than a loosely bound collection of independent states.
1. This war was the bloodiest war in the United States.
2. Women played key roles in the Civil War, like aiding and nursing the men in it.
3. Many men died in the war fighting, leaving the women to take care of the families alone.
Significant Content of the Civil Rights Movement
Goals were to end racial segregation and discrimination against black Americans and to secure legal recognition and federal protection of the citizens. The Civil Rights Movement was not only for African- Americans but also for Mexican-Americans.
1. Many important women were associated with the Civil Rights Movement.
2. Many African American women organized marches against discrimination.
3. Mexican-American women were also associated with the Civil Rights Movement.
Influencial Women in the Civil Rights Movement
Coretta Scott King
Was the widow of Martin Luther King Jr. In her early life Coretta was an accomplished singer and often incorporated music into her civil rights work.
Was arrested during the Civil Rights Movement for refusing to go to the back of the bus. There are two days dedicated to Rosa Parks which are February 4th (her birthday), and December 1st (the day she refused to move).
She was a critic of professionalized, charismatic leadership who worked alongside many important people of the Civil Rights Movement like: Martin Luther King and Philip Randolph, and activists like Rosa Parks and Diane Nash.
Coretta Scott King
Aretha Franklin- Respect by Abena Prempeh
Significant Content of Vatican ll
Not just external practices have changed since this revolutionary council, but the entire orientation of the Church has changed. The view of the church has changed, because of the Church Reform. So much was changed in the church like: the praying of the rosary, the catechism, less focus on the saints and the Blessed Virgin Mary, changed music and artwork, and a new educational system. (To see more changes click on the button below.)
1. Priests started speaking in the language of the congregation, and they also started facing the congregation during Mass.
2. Nuns started dressing like regular people, and no longer had to wear their habits.
3. Less discrimination of Judaism, because they used to think that they were "the ones that killed Jesus."