Hawks Weekly News
September 18, 2022
Mark Your Calendars:
- Mon. Sept 19 - Regular Instructional School Day - A Day of Mourning in Honor of Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
- Thurs. Sept 22 - Terry Fox Run - "A Toonie for Terry"
- Fri. Sept 23 - PD Day - No School
- Mon. Sept 26 - Linking Generations Candidates Meeting @ 2:00pm
- Wed. Sept 28 - Parent Council meeting - St. Theresa Catholic School Library @ 6:30pm
- Thurs. Sept 29 - Orange Shirt Day
- Fri. Sept 30 - National Day for Truth and Reconciliation - No School
Her Late Majesty Queen Elizabeth II
In honour of the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, the provincial government has declared Monday, September 19th as a provincial day of mourning. They have planned an outdoor ceremony at the Alberta legislature at 10:00am that morning. Details are available at: https://www.alberta.ca/queen-elizabeth-memorial-services.aspx
EICS schools and offices are open on Monday as usual. We will observe a moment of silence and pray for Queen Elizabeth and her family. As circumstances allow, classrooms will offer other opportunities to discuss, observe, and reflect on Her Majesty's life and legacy. May she rest in peace.
Opening Mass @ OLPH - Rescheduled
Terry Fox Run
Starting September 19th, we are asking students to bring in "A Toonie for Terry" to support the Terry Fox Foundation.
Parent Council - Little Caesars® Pizza Kit Fundraiser
For the next few weeks, St Theresa Parent Council will be holding a Little Caesars® Pizza Kit Fundraiser to raise money for our school.
Our goal is to raise $2,400. This means that all the students collectively have to sell 400 items to reach our goal.
We can easily reach our goal if we sell to friends and family, such as Mom & Dad (or the adults in the home), ask the adults at home to sell at work, grandparents, aunts, uncles, close friends and neighbors you know.
There will be prizes for the classes with the most items sold:
- The 3rd prize will be Halloween treats for the class
- The 2nd prize will be TimBits and Hot Chocolate for the class
- The Grand Prize will be a pizza party lunch for the class
The fundraising deadline is Sep 29th at the end of the school day; all order forms and money will be given into your teacher or submitted online. For online orders, please remember to make sure the student name and class is included to make sure your class gets the credit.
More detailed information can be found in the attachment.
Thank you for your support!
St Theresa Parent Council
You are invited to a Welcome BBQ for our Ukrainian Families
Elk Island Catholic Schools, along with BUCPS (Bilingual Ukrainian Catholic Parents Society) and St. Sophia's Parish are excited to work together to host a BBQ for our Ukrainian newcomers and their host families from all of our school communities.
The link for families to register is: https://bit.ly/welcomeukrainians
This week at St. Theresa
Gr. 5 Sport for Life: Tennis at Broadmoor Tennis Club
Better Together in the Science Lab for 8M
Parent Advisory Council (PAC)
The St. Theresa Parent Advisory Council performs many vital functions for our school community, by helping to facilitate school wide student functions and providing valuable funding to our school via fundraising. Parents involved in the PAC learn about planning and development within the school and are part of the planning process. These roles make their involvement very important to the families, administration and teachers.
Please join us for our first Parent Council Meeting of the 2022 - 2023 school year!
Wednesday September 28 at St. Theresa Catholic School Library - 6:30pm
Bilingual Ukrainian Catholic Parents Society (BUCPS) - Save the date!
We Remember, We Celebrate, We Believe
OUR LADY OF PERPETUAL HELP PARISH
13 Brower Drive, Sherwood Park AB. T8H 1Y7
Phone : 780 467 5470 Fax : 780 467 0530
Welcome to a new year of Catholic education and faith formation for your child!
Each year, in a Catholic school, your child will learn about many aspects of their Catholic faith— including learning about the seven sacraments. In our Archdiocese, preparing children for the celebration of their own sacraments always occurs in the parish, with the support of the school: • preparing for First Reconciliation, and then First Eucharist, can begin when a child is 7 years of age and in Grade 2 or older
• preparing for Confirmation can begin when a child is about 12 years of age and in Grade 6 or older • special preparation is also available for children of any age who are not yet baptized
Most children attending Catholic schools are ready to receive at the ages shown above, but there is no such thing as too late. Are you seeking for your child to celebrate a sacrament, such as Baptism, First Communion or Confirmation? Are you ready to help them live out their Baptismal promises? Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish and Elk Island Catholic Schools are each involved in preparing your child for a Catholic sacrament along with you. It is a group effort, and everyone has a role:
• As a parent, the Church has always held that you are the primary teacher of the faith for your child. You teach them about God; set the example; talk about your own faith; and you bring them to Mass. • The place where the sacraments are celebrated and lived is the Catholic parish. We the people of God in the Church are each part of the Body of Christ. Being in relationship with the parish community (with all its challenges and blessings) is essential for your life of faith and that of your child. The preparation for, and celebration of, the sacraments happens in the parish church. • You must sign your child up for preparation at the parish. The school doesn’t do this part of the process for you. Catholic schools are a special place for children to learn more about Jesus Christ, to practice living in a community of faith, and to develop and deepen a relationship with Christ. We (Catholic parish and Catholic school) are eager to walk beside you and your children during this very special time.
As you prepare your child for their sacraments may this also be a special time for you - of deepening your own understanding and of growing in faith for the whole family!
Sincerely in Christ,
Rev. Jim Corrigan, Pastor
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish
A Roman Catholic Christian community.
We come together at our Lord’s invitation to worship God, celebrate the sacraments, and deepen our faith. We strive to be thankful, generous and welcoming, and are sent forth to help advance God’s Kingdom on earth by proclaiming the Gospel and serving others.
SACRAMENTAL PREPARATION - Registration
Registration Forms for SACRAMENTAL PREPARATION with all students this week.
Just a reminder that the deadline to join Fall preparation classes here at OLPH Church is September 7.
This is for all grades: First Reconciliation/First Communion AND Confirmation.
OLPH parish has a Family Faith Formation approach to sacramental preparation, so we offer several dates and options throughout the school year to help busy parents choose a time that will work best for them to participate fully and actively with their child.
Grade 2-5: Students can register for First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion, which can be taken one right after the other. Three different sessions will be offered again this schools year, Fall, Winter or Spring. If a child has not been baptized yet, we will also work with that family on additional age appropriate preparation!
Grade 6-8: Students can register for Confirmation. The program at OLPH runs over 5 months and will be offered twice this year, in the first and second semester of the school year. If a student has not yet celebrated first communion or reconciliation, their preparation for those sacraments will be incorporated into their preparation for Confirmation so the child can be fully initiated.
Grade 9-12: Special preparation is offered for students at ABJ. The CHOSEN program will run again this year, in first semester and again in second semester. Contact your chaplains Anita Lakusta and Lindsay Fichter for more details.
Parents or staff with questions…OR an interest in volunteering at the church…can contact me at 780-467-5470 (ext 225) or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sincerely in Christ,
Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish
13 Brower Drive, Sherwood Park, AB T8H 1Y7
(780) 467-5470 Ext: 225
View our facebook and instagram accounts to view more fun weekly pictures