What is it?
- Fingerprints are the traces of an impression from the friction ridges of any part of a human or other primate hand. A print from the sole of the foot can also leave an impression of friction ridges.
- Fingerprints are easily deposited on suitable surfaces
- Fingerprint analysts are scientists who are responsible for preserving, studying and evaluating fingerprints, palmprints or footprints
- Bachelors degree in forensic science
- Graduate degree
- Study chemistry, biological science, criminal justice, criminalistics
Real life case
5,500 men from the local area were then tested. Colin Pitchfork persuaded a friend to test in his place, but when he bragged about fooling the investigators, he was overheard and reported. His genetic profile matched the semen samples from both girls, and in 1987 he became the first murderer convicted by DNA.