We Are Together Tamanend!
February 22, 2019
Kelly Anne Dolan Day is Saturday, February 23!
The annual Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial fundraiser and basketball tournament will take place on Saturday, February 23 from 9:00 AM to approximately 6:00 PM at Tamanend. The Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Fund has been diligently working since 1976 to guide families who have children with illnesses, disabilities or other serious injuries to a better place. After going through the experience of having a chronically ill child herself, Mrs. Dolan created one of the first foundations that helps work to provide these families with stability in such a tragic time. The foundation works tirelessly to help provide these struggling families with financial support in their most dire times of need. Tamanend Middle School has contributed to the Kelly Anne Dolan Foundation through yearly basketball tournaments since 2001, making this year’s annual fundraiser our 19th year of participation. In the past 18 years, Tamanend has raised a total of 447,310 dollars, making our middle school the top sponsor of the Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Foundation.
Reminder--Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Bucks County Teen Peace and Social Justice Summit (Rescheduled)
This Week's Teen Talk
What is Teen Talk? Each week, we will include a resource in our newsletter designed to promote conversations between parents and children regarding important issues related to teenagers. We hope that these resources serve to help parents and students navigate the excitement and challenges associated with the teenage years. In addition, we will highlight topics that we are discussing in Advisory and in presentations so that you may continue the conversation at home with your teen.
This Week's Teen Talk Topic: Appropriate Cell Phone and Social Media Use
The Nemours Foundation created this resource to help you and your teen navigate appropriate cell phone and social media use. This resource suggests creating a cell phone/social media contract with your child. Click here to see an example cell phone contract.
What We're Talking About at Tamanend:
7th and 8th grade Advisories will spend the final week of February engaging in African American history lessons, while the 9th graders will work together to support Project Linus (www.projectlinus.org). During the first week of March, the 7th and 8th grade Advisory groups will participate in decision making activities and the 9th graders will focus on College and Career Readiness. On March 1, all students will learn about the Pennsylvania Safe 2 Say Something school safety program (https://www.cbsd.org/Page/44056).
Reminder--Tamanend Spring Musical "Cinderella"--Tickets Now on Sale!
Tickets are now on sale for the Tamanend Players musical, Rogers and Hammerstein's Cinderella. The show will be performed on March 8th at 7 p.m. and March 9th at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets can be purchased in advance at https://cinderellatms.brownpapertickets.com until Friday, 2/22. Ticket sales will resume 30 minutes before show time on March 8 and 9 or at the door before each show. We hope to see you there!
Reminder--Program Planning for 2019-2020
Program Planning for the 2019-2020 school year has begun. Program Planning is the process by which students, parents, teachers, and guidance counselors collaborate to create each student's class schedule for the subsequent school year. The Central Bucks Program of Studies, which explains the program planning process and describes all courses, can be found on the CBSD website. Please note that the Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 will be available on January 18. The Program of Students booklet for Grade 9-12 will be available on January 4. Please find a list of important dates below related to program planning:
- January 3--Program planning assembly for current 9th Graders
- January 4--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 9-12 available online at www.cbsd.org
- January 10--Central Bucks South Curriculum Fair (for current 9th Graders) 6:30 PM at CB South High School
- January 18--Program of Studies booklet for Grades 7 & 8 available online at www.cbsd.org
- January 18 to February 3--Current 9th Grade students enter course requests at home via Parent Portal
- January 30--Program planning assembly for current 7th Graders
- January 31--Program planning assembly for current 8th Graders
- February 8--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 7th Graders
- February 13--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Guidance Office for current 7th Graders
- February 26--Course verification sheets sent home for parents to review for current 8th Graders
- March 5--Course verification sheets returned to Tamanend Guidance Office for current 8th Graders
Community Awareness Event Focusing on Vaping, Opioids, and Other Drugs
Upcoming Events at a Glance
Kelly Anne Dolan Memorial Day & Basketball Fundraiser--Saturday, February 23 at 9:00
Community Awareness Event (Opioids, Vaping, and Other Drugs)--Monday, February 25 at 5:30 at CB South
Orchestra Concert--Thursday, February 28 at 7:00 in Cafeteria
Safe 2 Say Something Assemblies--Friday, March 1 (during school day)
Spring Musical (Cinderella)--Friday, March 8 at 7:00 PM & Saturday, March 9 at 2:00 PM and 7:00 PM
Athletic Department News
- Students who are interested in playing any of the sports below for Tamanend need to stop by the Guidance Office and submit your name to Mr. Klein by March 1st.
- 9th grade baseball
- 9th grade softball
- 7th/8th grade girls lacrosse
- 7th/8th grade boys lacrosse
- If you are interested in participating in Spring Sports, there are several specific items (PIAA physical, Family ID, and concussion testing) that need to be completed prior to the start of tryouts which begin in March. Those items are outlined and explained on the Tamanend Athletics web page, which can be found HERE, and will be explained at the organizational meetings.
- If you played a Fall/Winter sport, your physical is already on file. Therefore you only need to submit Section 7/Recertification of the PIAA physical.
- If you did not play a Fall/Winter sport, you must submit Sections 5 & 6 of the PIAA physical.
- 7th Grade Boys Basketball vs. Lenape (Home; 3:15)
- 8th Grade Boys Basketball @ Newtown (Away; 3:30); bus leaves at 2:20
- 7th Grade Boys Basketball vs. Tohickon (Home; 3:15)
- 8th Grade Boys Basketball @ Tohickon (Away; 3:15); bus leaves at 2:40
- 7th Grade Boys Basketball vs. Holicong (Home; 3:15)
- 8th Grade Boys Basketball vs. New Hope-Solebury (Home; 3:15)
Reminder--Order Your Copy of the Tamanend Yearbook!
Click here to order your copy of this year's Tamanend yearbook. The cost is $40.
Reminder--Order Forms for New Tamanend Spirit Wear Due February 22
Reminder--Student Assistance Program (SAP)
The Student Assistance Program (SAP) has been established in schools throughout Pennsylvania. SAP Programs provide schools with the means to identify, refer, and support students who are exhibiting behavioral, academic, or attendance issues that put them at risk. Tamanend has a team of dedicated school personnel who are trained to assist students, faculty and family members in identifying problems that impact the student’s ability to function in school. The team can also offer students and their families resources to assist them in alleviating these problems. For more information about the SAP Program, please click here. To complete a SAP referral form for a Tamanend student, please click here.
Reminder--The Next Meeting of the Tamanend Parent Book Club is March 13
Join us for the Tamanend Parent Book Club. This year, we will be reading Raising Kids to Thrive (2015) by Kenneth R. Ginsburg, MD. The book describes "the Lighthouse Parenting Strategy" in which parents balance unconditional love and high expectations with the goal of raising resilient and happy children. This book club will follow a "no-pressure" format in which the facilitator will present a summary of the chapter and open the floor for discussion. We will share resources and ideas with the goal of helping the entire Tamanend parent community navigate the challenges of raising adolescents.
Meetings are held at 6:30 in the Tamanend Library
Click here for further information, dates, and book information.
Please email Dr. Brian Caughie at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in participating.
Reminder--Help with Resources
If you are experiencing a financial hardship, please know that the staff members listed below can help you and your family. We can provide assistance with food, clothing, student fees, internet access, and other issues. Please don't hesitate to contact us:
Brian Caughie, Principal email@example.com
Kyle Dudley, Assistant Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Lauren Myrtetus, Certified School Nurse email@example.com
Jeff Klein, Guidance Counselor firstname.lastname@example.org
Mandy Cammann, Guidance Counselor email@example.com
CB to Introduce Farmer's Market
Central Bucks School District, in conjunction with Bucks County Opportunity Council and Philabundance, is proud to offer a Farmer’s Market. On Wednesday March 6th at 4:00, we will have fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as some dry goods, available at Barclay Elementary School. Family and Consumer Science teachers will be available to help answer questions about the fresh food and give suggestions for preparation. This is free for families that qualify for free or reduced lunch through the district. Also offered at this event will be English classes for those interested in learning the language. Please call 267-893-4100 and press 0 for the operator or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have additional questions about this program. If we need to reschedule due to a snow day, please go to www.cbsd.org/barclay for more information.
Reminder--iSmart Parenting Presentation Sponsored by NOVA
Consider Nominating a Tamanend Student for the CB Cares Boomerang Award
Nominations for the February’s Boomerang Asset are due by Monday, 2/25. The Asset for February is Asset #26 is Caring: The student places a high value on helping other people. He or she thinks about ways of helping others and is motivated to initiate kind and thoughtful acts. Please submit your nomination through this link.
Reminder--CB Cares Dangers of Vaping Video PSA Contest
CB Cares has launched a video PSA contest on the dangers of vaping. This contest is open to all CBSD middle school students. Click here for details. Entries are due by March 1, 2019
Thursday, Feb. 21st, 9am
1492 Stuckert Road
RSVPs are enabled for this event.
Please Consider Volunteering at Tamanend Middle School
Reminder--Volunteer Required Paperwork
Pennsylvania law requires all persons having direct contact with school children to obtain background checks and clearances. If you are planning on being in a Central Bucks school during the 2018-2019 school year for any reason, you will need to go to Volunteer Required Paperwork, and complete what is needed to obtain your Photo Volunteer ID Card. You will need that ID Card and a photo ID to enter a CB school.
Reminder--Support Tamanend While You Shop
If you use the following vendors, please think about supporting TMS while you shop:
- Giant Food Store has an A+ School Rewards program through their clip-less coupon card that gives money to the school you designate every time you shop. Use this link to select Tamanend as your A+ school after August 15th of the new school year.
- Clip and send in Box Tops to the attention of NJHS.
Share Good News About Tamanend Students
Ways to Stay Connected with Tamanend
Here is a list of ways Tamanend communicates with students, families, and the community:
- Tamanend website: includes important information, resources, calendar of school events, and daily announcements
- Calendar of school events (posted on our website)
- Daily announcements (scrolling on TV screens during school day and posted on our website)
- TV show (weekly, during Advisory period)
- Email blasts from Tamanend administration regarding important news, new procedures, and reminders
- Parent Portal: student information, grades, and attendance
- Tamanend Connections newsletter: useful information, important reminders, and school highlights emailed weekly during school year and posted on Tamanend website
- Twitter: @CBTamanendMS highlights of activities, events, and daily life at Tamanend
- CBSD app: highlights of activities, events, and daily life in Central Bucks
Para nuestras familias hispanohablantes...
¡Bienvenidos a Tamanend! Yo soy Brian Caughie, Director de Tamanend Middle School. Soy hispanohablante. Pasé mucho de mi vida en España. Estoy aquí para apoyarles a todos los estudiantes y familias en Tamanend. Favor de llamarme or escribirme (en inglés o en español) si Ud. tiene cualquier duda o pregunta.
Correo electrónico: email@example.com
Oficina: (267) 893-2900