A. A. Kingston Middle School
August 28, 2020
Dear A.A.K. Families,
It has been a very busy summer here at A.A.K. and I am sure many of you can say the same about your lives as well. We are still working hard to finalize staff and student schedules, but only minor changes, if any, should take moving forward.
As you continue to look through this weeks newsletter you will see information on a number of different topics. Please look over each section of the newsletter for details about Chromebook distribution, parent drop-off, masks, PE class, and how students should enter the building. You will also find a message from Mrs. Foote (school nurse) and information about what each learning group can expect.
Students that are attending school will be getting their Chromebook on the first day they attend school. For a student in group A or a student attending four days a week, this will be Tuesday, September 8th. For a student in group B, this will be Thursday, September 10th.
Entering the Building
- Students Riding a Bus: These students should enter the building using the main entrance at A.A.K. This entrance is located in the middle of the building and labeled M7. Students that ride a bus will have their temperature taken as they get on the bus.
- Students Walking or Parent Drop-off: These students should enter either using the 5th and 6th grade entrance, labeled M6 or the back entrance, labeled M10. Students that are walking or parent drop-off, will have their temperature taken as they enter either M6 or M10.
Living Environment Supplies
Message from the Nurses Office
Mrs. Foote sent out emails on Wed. in regards to students missing immunizations. All students need to be in compliance with the NY State immunization requirements for school enrollment/attendance. Mrs. Foote received clarification from the St. Lawrence County Department of Health for remote learners stating that remote learners need to meet the same requirements as the students who are learning in person at school.
September 3 & 4
- Chromebook and material pickup for At-Home Learners
- First Day of School (Group A)
- First Day of School (Group B)
- Students will be attending school two days a week (look at the hybrid schedule for specific dates).
- Students will be expected to complete asynchronous academic work on the days they are not in-person.
- On the days when students are not in person they will have the opportunity to meet with teachers virtually during the teachers office hours. Students that receive special education services will meet with teachers virtually on the days they are not in-person.
- When students are in the school building they will need to wear masks all day, but will be given masks breaks throughout the day.
- Students will remain in their classroom for all classes except PE and lunch/recess. For special classes such as art and music the teacher will come to their classroom.
- The locker rooms will not be available to students for PE.
- Students will have scheduled meetings each day with teachers. These meetings are mandatory and attendance is required by NYSED.
- Students need to use the google meet links provided by their teachers to access these mandatory classes.
- Students will be expected to complete asynchronous academic work each week.
- Families will need to pick-up learning materials periodically throughout the year as staff see it appropriate for the learning objectives. Chromebooks will be available for pick-up on Thursday and Friday, September 3rd and 4th.
If at anytime you are interested in making a change to your child's learning preference, please complete this form. Also remember that this will not be an immediate change as scheduling and space availability will impact this changes.
Online Learning Meal Options
Potsdam Central School has scheduled meal kit pick-ups on Fridays between 11:30-12:30 p.m. for those families who have completed the online pre-order process. Families will be able to submit pre-orders starting on August 31.
Pre-orders must be made weekly to receive meal kits. The pre-order form will open every Monday with a deadline of every Wednesday at 10 a.m. in order to receive meal kits for the following week.
The cost of the meal kits will include the required number of breakfasts and lunches.
Families who have not applied for Free and Reduced-Priced benefits should submit a Family Meal Application to see if they qualify. For those who do not qualify for free or reduced meals will be required to pay at the time of pick up.
Here’s How to Get Started
First, families who do not already have a Myschoolbucks.com login should create an account. There is no charge to create an account. You can access this account via web or mobile app. Here you can add money to your child’s account.
To create an account, parents will need to know their student’s school ID number. Students may know their number as they use it in the café on a normal basis. If you need help with getting the ID number please call 315-265-2000x472.
The new online ordering allows for parents to pick-up meal kits without their students having to be present. Families will need to order meals using the google order form. The form does need to be filled out weekly.
When parents arrive at the pick-up location, they will confirm with a staff member who they are picking up for.
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 315-265-2000 x472.
Weekly Order Form
Daniel O. Cook
PrincipalA.A. Kingston Middle School