Do you have what it takes?
President- Barack Obama
Vice President- Joe Biden
The Cabinet- The Department of State, The Treasury, The Department of Defense, and an Attorney General, Department of Interior, Department of Agriculture, Department of Commerce, Department of Labor, Department of Health and Human Services, Department of Housing and Urban Development, Department of Transportation, Department of Energy, Department of Education, Department of Veteran Affairs, and Department of Homeland Security
What are the Requirements
In order to be considered for the office, a presidential candidate must be at least 35 years old, a natural-born U.S. citizen, and have at least 14 years of residence in the United States.
What do they do?
- The President- At the Beginning of Congress, the President must report on the State of Union. The President gives his opinion of how the country is doing and planning about what has to be done in the coming year. As the head of State, he must travel to many places to talk with heads of foreign countries. He also works out treaties with different nations that have to trade or need aide
- The Vice President- The Vice President becomes President if the President can no longer do the job
How are they elected?
- A candidate announces his Candidacy about 2 years before general election
- From February to July they will have Primary Elections to narrow candidates to the top Republican and the top Democrat
- Next, there is a Political Party National Convention which is the official announcement of the President and the Vice President candidate for each party
- The 1st Tuesday after the 1st Monday in November is the General Election where the majority of the people of the United States vote for the President and the Vice President
- Then, in December, they have the Electoral College vote which is the official vote for the President
- After the Electoral College vote, they have Inauguration. Inauguration is when the President takes oath of office and becomes President
What is their role in the lawmaking process
Vice President- He serves as the President of the Senate and is the tie breaker if there is one needed