2nd Grade News
with Ms. Przedpelski
Off to a fantastic start
We have had another great week together. We have had a very productive week academically, we invited a new student, Aniysa into our classroom, and we enjoyed ending our Friday together celebrating one of our classmates! :)
We have a busy week ahead of us preparing for our Unit 3 Benchmark assessment. Please read through our newsletter for the updates and reminders! As always, please email me if you have any questions or concerns.
Happy Birthday, Gitanjali!
There is NO assigned Math Homework Packet this week due to the length of the Reading/ELA Review Packet
2. Weekly Extra Credit on Study Island: I am so excited to see how many of my students are utilizing the new Study Island extra credit opportunities! During review weeks, I will not upload an extra credit study island opportunity. Now that MAP scores are officially linked to Study Islad, I encourage your child to go onto Study Island and practice their weak areas from the MAP assessment (this is a GREAT new feature on Study Island!)
3. January Reading Logs and Reflections Reminder: Due to not being in school the first days of January, I will only be requiring students to complete TWO reflections this month: 1 Chapter book and 1 Nonfiction book. AR QUIZZES WILL COUNT TOWARDS REFLECTION GRADES BEGINNING THIS MONTH.
1. Read their books
2. Take an AR quiz and receive a passing score
3. Last, write a reflection on their book
Students must do ALL of these things in order to receive full credit on their reflections.
Students will have opportunities during our daily 5 time each day to take AR quizzes, but they must read their books before they can quiz - so encourage your students to read at home! :-)
4. January AR Goals: If students read and score a passing grade on at least 3 AR quizzes this month... they will receive a dress down day as a reward at the beginning of February!
5. Jackets: We are experiencing some Winter weather now :) Please make sure your child comes to school in an appropriate jacket for the weather outside. Also, many jackets are ending up in the lost and found because students go directly from recess to the cafeteria. Please make sure your child's jackets are labeled with their name!
6. Social Studies At-Home Extra Activity: Your students can earn TEN SIGNATURES if they complete the SS activity described below in our curriculum corner :D
Fencing Club is CANCELLED for 2nd Semester
Student Re-enrollment Forms
Alliance Theatre Field Trip
FSAPS elementary students (Pre K - 5th grade) will be heading on a field trip on February 25th to see the The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe at the Alliance Theatre! These forms and payment are due by Wednesday, January 20th. Please email me if you would like to be a chaperone! :)
The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe is based on the beloved novel by C.S. Lewis. This magical production portrays the adventures of four siblings through the wardrobe and into the land of Narnia. Here they are caught up in a struggle between the mysterious, magical lion Aslan and the White Witch, who wants this astonishing country, its talking animals, and amazing creatures frozen in perpetual winter. C.S. Lewis’s classic of love, faith, courage, and giving, with its triumph of good over evil, is one of the most-enjoyed stories of our time.
Six Flags Reading Logs
Important Dates to Mark Down:
January 18: MLK Day - No School
January 20: Field Trip forms DUE for Alliance trip
January 31: Technology Fair Hosted by FSA
February 5: Re-enrollment forms due
February 12: Valentine's Day fun in 2nd Grade
February 15: Presidents Day - No School
February 25: PreK-5th Grade field trip to the Alliance Theatre
We will be reviewing our skills/concepts from Unit 3 throughout this week with a variety of activities. We will rotate to different Reading and Language Arts centers where your students are able to practice all the skills we have been learning this Unit. Our Unit Assessment will be on FRIDAY, January 22nd.
Ms. P's Math Class:
Students in Ms. P's class will be finishing up Chapter 7 in our Math In Focus curriculum. Students DO NOT have a homework packet for Math this week. Instead, they will be bringing home their study guide on Wednesday and Thursday evening to prepare for their assessment on Friday over measurement!
Ms. Minor's Math Class:
Ms. Minor's Math Class will be beginning 2B/ 3B beginning on Tuesday. Students will receive new textbooks to come home when they have returned the 3A textbooks. Our first chapter will be over the concept of MONEY! It is going to be a very fun week in math! :)
In Social Studies we will begin our discussion of producers and consumers.
An extra activity your student can do at home....
Interview YOU about your job, what services you provide, and how you help people get what they WANT or NEED to survive. This will earn your child TEN SIGNATURES if they complete a write up and bring it in to share by Friday!
In Science we will be finishing our Living Things group research project and presenting them to the class. I can't wait to share what your students have been working hard on! :)